Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt squeal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Belt squeal HELP

I am using Holley's accessory drive and having a serious problem with belt squeal . Everything lines up , and my tensioner is dead in the middle of the wear lines . I put a strait edge on the pullys and they appear to be dead nuts centered and parallel , need suggestions , I cant get a smaller belt on . Belt dressing makes it worst , and wd40 sprayed on the ribbed side quiets it mometarily , its so bad I cant drive it , my ac is not running just free wheeling , as I have not installed the rest of that system yet , HELP
Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Normally the squeal comes from the side of the belt against the power steering pulley. Make sure your power steering pulley lines up perfectly and is pressed on completely.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Appreciate ,,, that will check it ,, I crawled under an thought it might br coming from the ballencer , ,, figured maybe not enough belt wrap but it is holleys system , and appears to be more than half the diameter
Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hate to say it but if everything is new then it is probably an alignment issue. When you use the straight edge, measure from that to the valley of the first groove. Pulleys can have different thicknesses of outer edges so you can't use the outer surface. Do it on the front and back edge of the pulley can give you some idea of parallel.

Are you sure the tensioner and/or water pump isn't going bad? Does everything spin smoothly and freely with the belt off?

This has some good ideas

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1026

Now that you have sprayed WD40 on the belt you need to replace it. When you do, clean the surface of all the pulleys first. With a slipping belt they pulleys can get glazed making them squeal with a new belt. Take a soft wire brush to them. And never use belt dressing.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 02-05-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same setup on my truck with a Magnacharger and so far, no problems or squeals. I have a laser setup that I checked all of my pulleys with and they were nearly perfect. I would check all the stuff as mentioned above and then go from there.
Attached Thumbnails Belt squeal HELP-20140127_192746.jpg  
Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Finlay figured it out , it was the belt itself , brand new dayco , it was junk , totally screaming . I installed a bando brand belt in the same size , quiet as a mouse .

Quick Reply: Belt squeal HELP