Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 cam advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Default LQ4 cam advice

Ok, so I've searched on here so long that my head hurts and I think my eyes are starting to bleed! But I'm sure someone on here has tried what I'm considering doing. I have a 2006 LQ4/4l80e with just over 100k on it, and I was wanting to put a slightly bigger cam in it. Nothing too radical, just trying to get a little more power out of it and a little bit of sound. Here's my issue, I don't want to have to put a $800 stall in it. I would like to keep the factory torque converter even though it may cost me a little bit of power. What I haven't been able to find out is how much power it will cost?

My next issue is I really know nothing about how to read cam specs. I've read and read, but just can't wrap my head around this ****!! "Я тоже тк хочу вылwзти на dерх ребята возgите меня" This is literally what it's like to me! I know I should just call some cam companies and see what they say, but thought I'd ask here first since I know there are people on here with first hand knowledge.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have lift, (how far the lobe lifts) duration, (how many degrees of rotation the valve is open) and lobe seperation, lower numbers (108) will give you the choppy idle, while higher numbers, 112 will have a smoother idle.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest a Lunati 60510 grind. Peak power from 1400-6200 rpm.Great low and mid range torque and no tune or stall needed although a dyno tune would optimize its potential. I would also suggest upgrading to a set of better springs capable of at least .550 lift.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by loweredd
You have lift, (how far the lobe lifts) duration, (how many degrees of rotation the valve is open) and lobe seperation, lower numbers (108) will give you the choppy idle, while higher numbers, 112 will have a smoother idle.
Yeah, I get that, the problem is I don't understand the effect of changing them works, if that makes sense?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
I would suggest a Lunati 60510 grind. Peak power from 1400-6200 rpm.Great low and mid range torque and no tune or stall needed although a dyno tune would optimize its potential. I would also suggest upgrading to a set of better springs capable of at least .550 lift.
Do you have first hand experience with this combo? HP gains ect?

I guess I should mention this is going into a '72 Blazer, so its not the lightest vehicle around.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Call me when you have a chance to discuss.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Yes I do run this very cam in a ls1. You can run bigger cams but because you are running this in a relatively heavy vehicle you will want to be a little conservative in your duration numbers as to not sacrifice the low end torque. Remember that torque is what moves the vehicle. I see way to many overcammed cars that only make power from 3500 RPM and up. This cam will make great torque at 1400 rpm and up which will help that Blazer to really accelerate from just off idle all the way to 6000RPM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Call me when you have a chance to discuss.
Will do.
Originally Posted by mantycarguy
Yes I do run this very cam in a ls1. You can run bigger cams but because you are running this in a relatively heavy vehicle you will want to be a little conservative in your duration numbers as to not sacrifice the low end torque. Remember that torque is what moves the vehicle. I see way to many overcammed cars that only make power from 3500 RPM and up. This cam will make great torque at 1400 rpm and up which will help that Blazer to really accelerate from just off idle all the way to 6000RPM.
Thanks, this is the kind of info I am looking for, I get the specs, but just don't understand how the affect things.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Understanding camshaft specs requires a thorough grasp of 4 cycle engine operation and how the valve opening and closing events affect it. There are a great many articles written on this very subject and if you so desire can be accessed with a simple google search such as how to pick a performance camshaft etc .Engineers work with very sophisticated parameters and tools to design modern day cams and do constant testing to optimize their products. With that in mind, trust the manufacturer as to what they recommend for your intended use.

Quick Reply: LQ4 cam advice