Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a ford T5 with a 621 bellhousing?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use a ford T5 with a 621 bellhousing?

I have been having issues with paying $700 for a 4l60 transmission for my swap so I thought I could just keep my T5 (4.8 into a fox mustang)

I have seen where people have used a GM T5 with a 621 GM bellhousing. Will a Ford T5 bolt up to this bellhousing?

I understand the input shafts are different splines and I need a different input shaft pilot bearing but I am not concerned about that now.

I am just curious if the bellhousing and transmission bolt up and will I need a spacer due to the input shaft being too long?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can make it work,but in the long run you won't be saving anything.Sell the T5 and put the money to something that has a better chance of surviving.If you search around on the Corvette Forum in the C3 section there is a good write-up on adapting a Ford T5 to a chev bellhousing,I almost did one but decided it just wasn't worth the effort for a transmission I knew I would so easily break.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Well, from what I am finding is a 4l60e is very expensive and (for the years I need) hard to find used. I already have the t5 but trying to see if this is a cheaper route or not. I have found places with adapter plates but everything is starting to add up and may not actually be cheaper.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you understand all the issues. It can be done but none of the choices are cheap and will require rebuilding the trans and/or machining parts.
Also compatibility of disk/clutch combos can cause issues. Someone tried mating a SBC disk to an LS1 clutch. An expensive experiment that didn't work.
Easier and cheaper to just get a f body V8 t5.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe QuickTime sells a bell for this.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Gary, thanks for all your time with the PMs and such. Still not sure if this is going to work for me or not. I can't find a used 4l60e trans so I looked around for a new one or a rebuilt one. Basic one is $700 plus $200 core charge since I don't have one. Then factor in a tranny cooler and lines..... Guessing another $100. This is more than double I paid for my motor which seems ridiculous to me.

So here is where I am at with the T5 option 1.
621 Bellhousing- $170
adapter- $270
Piecing together the clutch assembly with LS1 Flywheel, pressure plate and a 01 mustang clutch disc around $350
mics clutch cable stuff- $100

T5 option-2
taking out the adapter plate and modifying the 621 bellhousing to accept the t-5 drill, tap and helicoil bolt holes. I would swap out the input shaft for a GM 2.95 input shaft so I could use all the LS1 clutch components with correct spline count. This would also delete the need for a spacing due to the shorter input shaft.

Gary per our conversation, I know there isnt any bossings for the T5 bolt holes but was thinking about a machine shop being able to add the bolt holes..... something like this
Attached Thumbnails Can I use a ford T5 with a 621 bellhousing?-davidstruckmods1-11128.jpg   Can I use a ford T5 with a 621 bellhousing?-davidstruckmods1-11129.jpg  

Last edited by Old_blue; 02-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Actually after looking at photos of a 621 bellhousing interior, I don't think option 2 would work unless a shop could add structural material for the upper two bolts. I think is what Gary was talking about..... Back to the drawing board.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

im using a quicktime 6037 for my ls/tremec 3550 swap. while its a lil pricey it fits and all the homework is done. just bolt it on and go. also they have an early model and a redesigned one. the 2nd design you can use a ford (pull) style fork and a gm (push) style fork. the first one only uses a gm fork.
Attached Thumbnails Can I use a ford T5 with a 621 bellhousing?-engine-20bay-203.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Agreed on drilling the 621 bell. It will just break.
Options,
G Force sells an upgrade case with both ford and GM mounts. If you have a 2.95 1st, you can swap input shafts, bearing retainer too.
There are plans for a 1/2" spacer adapter over at corvetteforum. But the bearing retainer cutout needs to be machined. You'll also need to machine a ford ID pilot bushing for the outer flange on the LS crank. My guess would be the Sachs 1050 flywheel clutch with a ford disk.
Other possibilities, find a 4.3 astrovan bell. It has both ford and gm bosses. The longer crank might fit in the inner f body crank flange pilot bearing hole. Then all you would need to do is drill the f body pilot bearing. Again, the sachs would be my guess to work with the ford disk.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

What's this going in?

http://americanpowertrain.com/i-8425...-richmond.html

That with would be a super-cheap setup ready to party, and you can put something better, although one gear short, on it.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

It is going to my foxbody mustang. That link is to a 621 style bellhousing I was talking about. That is one of the more expensive ones too.

Running into a lot of difficulties with this as running a hydraulic clutch runs around 600. I wish 4l60e's were easier to find and cheaper to run. Close to a grand for a trans. This project just may burnout. Maybe I'll just sell the 4.8....... Frustrating.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Launching!

What year 60e do you need? Also have you checked in on the 80e's? I know the 60e's are a dime a dozen locally. I'm fairly certain I could find one for you pretty cheap, maybe around 350-450. Hell picked my 80e up for 300 with a fresh rebuild.. Let me know what years your looking for and I'll make a few calls, shipping can't be more than 100 bucks.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Adam123
What year 60e do you need? Also have you checked in on the 80e's? I know the 60e's are a dime a dozen locally. I'm fairly certain I could find one for you pretty cheap, maybe around 350-450. Hell picked my 80e up for 300 with a fresh rebuild.. Let me know what years your looking for and I'll make a few calls, shipping can't be more than 100 bucks.
I appreciate that. From what I am told, to work with my harness and ecm I need a 07-09 4l60E. More specifically, I have a 08 4.8l that I need a 4l60e for. Let me know and thanks again .
Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I think in the long run the 4L60 for $700-$800 will be a less expensive options.

There are a few other issues that you haven't touched on. The Ford T5 uses a Ford style bearing retainer. It won't register properly with the 621 style bellhsousing, even if you drill and tap it for the different bold patters. The Quicktime bellhousing presumable accounts for this, but it adds to the cost. Also, the bearing retainer snout diameter is bigger on the Ford vs. Chevy and you'll have to turn it down to work with a Chevy throwout bearing.

That's on top of the input spline issue....blah..blah...blah...

What kind of vehicle are you working on?

Andrew
Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I think in the long run the 4L60 for $700-$800 will be a less expensive options.

There are a few other issues that you haven't touched on. The Ford T5 uses a Ford style bearing retainer. It won't register properly with the 621 style bellhsousing, even if you drill and tap it for the different bold patters.
Originally Posted by Old_blue
Basic one is $700 plus $200 core charge since I don't have one. Then factor in a tranny cooler and lines..... Guessing another $100. This is more than double I paid for my motor which seems ridiculous to me.

So here is where I am at with the T5 option 1.
621 Bellhousing- $170
adapter- $270
Piecing together the clutch assembly with LS1 Flywheel, pressure plate and a 01 mustang clutch disc around $350
mics clutch cable stuff- $100

T5 option-2
taking out the adapter plate and modifying the 621 bellhousing to accept the t-5 drill, tap and helicoil bolt holes. I would swap out the input shaft for a GM 2.95 input shaft so I could use all the LS1 clutch components with correct spline count. This would also delete the need for a spacing due to the shorter input shaft.

The Quicktime bellhousing presumable accounts for this, but it adds to the cost. Also, the bearing retainer snout diameter is bigger on the Ford vs. Chevy and you'll have to turn it down to work with a Chevy throwout bearing.

That's on top of the input spline issue....blah..blah...blah...

What kind of vehicle are you working on?

Andrew
It is going to my foxbody mustang.
The adapter is hub centric so it would center itself if I went that option. The TO bearing would be hydraulic. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of obstacles to overcome. But, I am now looking at just getting a plain th350 so I can enjoy the car a little while waiting for the appropriate 4l60e to come along.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

The adapter is hub centric so it would center itself if I went that option. The TO bearing would be hydraulic. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of obstacles to overcome. But, I am now looking at just getting a plain th350 so I can enjoy the car a little while waiting for the appropriate 4l60e to come along.
The bearing snout would still have to be turned down if you were using a hydraulic TOB. All the ones I am aware of are made for the Chevy snout diameter.

I think you might be way better off getting a Chevrolet T5...Why not who around some of the Mustang forums for a G-force T5? I believe that even their Ford version uses the 1 1/8" x 26 spline input, like a Chevy...It would also live much longer...but probably not cheap..just an idea...

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I use a ford T5 with a 621 bellhousing?