Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pan fitment

Received my Holley 302-2 oil pan today and did a test fit on my 6 liter. There is no way I can get both sides flush with the block at the rear of the engine. Friday I will lift the engine off the stand and try the bell housing to see what issues this creates. Any insight on this problem?
I can get it flush 1 side but it overhangs the block about a 1/16 on the other.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Never seen tjat problem before. If you're mocking the engine up, do you by chance not have gaskets on the front and rear covers? Do all the bolt holes line up?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Never seen tjat problem before. If you're mocking the engine up, do you by chance not have gaskets on the front and rear covers? Do all the bolt holes line up?
New GM long block. Rear cover is on, front cover is on loose. Only using pan to block bolts. I can get all bolts in but the rear right side overhangs the block.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrya
New GM long block. Rear cover is on, front cover is on loose. Only using pan to block bolts. I can get all bolts in but the rear right side overhangs the block.
This sounds very similar to an inquiry I had about a month ago on the same thing and it boiled down to the installer seeing the rear cover of the engine as being on the same plane as the machined transmission mating surface, which it is not. If the rear machined surface of the pan lines up with the rear machined surface of the block on one side (I don't remember which one) then I assure you it will mate squarely to the transmission bellhousing as intended. I assume you are looking at this with the engine on a stand, which is when this visual happens with no transmission to reference.

Quick Reply: oil pan fitment