Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley retrofit oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Holley retrofit oil pan

Doing a ls swap on a 67' camaro for a friend of mine. Looking at ordering motor mount plates and was wondering who had used the holley retrofit oil pan. Don't want to run into crazy clearance problems as the car will be driven often. Any other info will be helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello fellow Las Vegan, I am a bit new to all of this, but you will probably find the answers on the pan as varied on which beer they like the best. I have heard and read that people like them or they don't. I have looked at a few and I am going to go with the BRP Hotrods kit, which includes motor and transmission mounts, the LH8 oil pan, and their mid-length headers. Apparently the Auto Kraft pan is a popular one as well, and by the looks of it, about the same prices as the Holley pan.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 AM
Launching!

I've read that the lh8 sits to low becoming the lowest point and that wouldn't work for his application.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If using the complete BRP kit.. it mounts the engine a bit higher for better clearance using the LH8 pan.

I have the RetroLSx (JZMotorsport before sold to Holley) oil pan that is now the Holley 301-1 pan on my Nova and it has no issue.
I now have the Holley 302-2 (new design) on my Chevelle and everything looks good, It should be back on the road this weekend as I am just finishing the oil pan swap (was CTS-V and then a Notched F-Body).

With your 67 Camaro.. you shouldn't have any issue with the Holley.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOOLIN Z28
Doing a ls swap on a 67' camaro for a friend of mine. Looking at ordering motor mount plates and was wondering who had used the holley retrofit oil pan. Don't want to run into crazy clearance problems as the car will be driven often. Any other info will be helpful. Thanks!
The new Holley 302-2 oil pan was designed to address the clearance issues associated with the specific swap you are about to embark on and provides ample clearance between the drag link and oil pan without having to position the engine right up against the firewall or use use a notched 4th-gen F-body pan, which diminishes oil capacity. The Holley 302-2 pan provides basically the same fitment as a notched 4th-gen F-body pan without suffering the oil capacity loss penalty.

This statement holds true as long as the mounts you use position the engine no further forward than the new Hooker 1nst-gen F-body swap mounts do, which is to place the front machined surface of an LS block engine block approximate 1/4" back from the front edge of the subframe crossmember on which the engine mounts to.

I've heard that the BRP kit locates the engine high and with a very forward position, so it may take it past the reference point I mention above and render the 302-2 pan incompatible with that set-up. If so, the original Holley 302-1 can probably be used since it's sump is about 2" shorter in length than the sump on the 302-2 pan and your higher engine position that comes with the BRP kit should accommodate the taller front height it has than the 302-2 pan.

Out of curiosity, what were the factors that swayed your decision to use the BRP kit instead of any other?

You have a lot of options available to you that didn't exist even a short time ago, so you're getting started on this project at a good time and will find tons of good advice here from others that have already performed the swap, or developed parts for it like myself.

How's things in Vegas these days? I was born in Henderson and have many fond memories from my childhood years spent there and down in Vegas (at that time there was a whole lot of desert between the two unlike today).
Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the info. Seems like the holley pan will be the winner. Las Vegas is good. Seems like everything is slowly but surely picking up.

Quick Reply: Holley retrofit oil pan