Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Steam Vent Q's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Custom Steam Vent Q's

I sorta' copied this design for my steam lines to clean up the engine bay on my 5.3 72 Chevelle wagon build from a couple I've seen on here...

My question is...will this really work like this???

The reason I ask is, I had a hard time getting the coolant to fill the block (I couldn't get it to fill through just filling the radiator, I had to fill it through a heater hose.)

And then when I got it running, it seemed to want to heat the heads and block fairly warm, (I let it get to about 220* before I shut it down.) but not really open the t-stat.

I apologize for the long post, just wondering if this steam line route might have anything to do with those two problems.

(EDIT: I posted this in the external LS section, but didn't get much response. thought I'd try over here.)
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I have never seen it run like that. I ran mine to the water pump as well, but down to where the heater hoses are.

Andrew
Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tapped mine into the opposite side of the water pump housing. Don't know how much it matters where they tap into.

the vent caps are O ringed, just pull one of those off when filling the block. It helps if you jack up the front of the car at the same time. That will get all the air out without having to pull a hose.

As for the T stat, pretty safe to say the vent lines have little to nothing to do with that. What temp T stat do you have and do you have the heater hoses hooked up? 220° at the heads probably isn't enough to get a stock T stat to open.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The vent line should connect to something higher in the system to allow vapor to "burp" out of the system. I know a lot of people run it to the waterpump but unless you are connecting to a point higher than the vent lines, the only motivation for vapor to burp out is a difference in pressure which doesn't always beat gravity. You really should run this line to a higher point on the radiator as the factory does it.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I sorta' copied this design for my steam lines to clean up the engine bay on my 5.3 72 Chevelle wagon build from a couple I've seen on here...

My question is...will this really work like this???

The reason I ask is, I had a hard time getting the coolant to fill the block (I couldn't get it to fill through just filling the radiator, I had to fill it through a heater hose.)

And then when I got it running, it seemed to want to heat the heads and block fairly warm, (I let it get to about 220* before I shut it down.) but not really open the t-stat.

I apologize for the long post, just wondering if this steam line route might have anything to do with those two problems.

(EDIT: I posted this in the external LS section, but didn't get much response. thought I'd try over here.)
The steam vents are designed to be at the highest low pressure spot of the cooling system. The first image has it routed to the high pressure outlet. Thats not a good idea. Second picture is better as it is on the low side return, but it's not at a high point in the system like it is meant to be.

To properly fill the system you need to have a large funnel designed specifically for "burping" a coolant system. The funnel needs to be above the highest point in the cooling system.

Run the motor up to operating temperature with the cap off and funnel in place. Thermo will open and fluid level will rise quite a bit but won't overflow. Once you stop seeing bubbles, system should be free of air.

A surge tank is easy to add and works well if you don't have a steam port on your radiator. Or if your rad top isn't the high point in the system.

Looks like this...

Last edited by Forcefed86; 02-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it needed to plug in lower than the outlet of the steam ports, one other questions, I can't tell from that picture, it almost looks like the belt on the water pump is running on the ribbed side of the belt, just the angle of the photo?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine plumbed similar to the first picture and it works fine. Only difference is that I have a corvette waterpump with a front outlet, so I just tapped into the blank on the top where the truck outlet normally lets out. Eric L
Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cooks 7
I thought it needed to plug in lower than the outlet of the steam ports, one other questions, I can't tell from that picture, it almost looks like the belt on the water pump is running on the ribbed side of the belt, just the angle of the photo?
That makes no sense, the air pocket in the system should only be at the highest point, thats where you'd want the steam ports located.

Originally Posted by Prorac1
I have mine plumbed similar to the first picture and it works fine. Only difference is that I have a corvette waterpump with a front outlet, so I just tapped into the blank on the top where the truck outlet normally lets out. Eric L
Steam ports aren't necessary for the system to "work". You can block all 4, burp the system well and the cooling system will still "work fine". Thats not the point. If you have it plumbed like the first pic it's not working as it's designed to. Might as well plug it.

Here's a great link describing the LS cooling system.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/
Old 02-26-2014, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't tell from that picture, it almost looks like the belt on the water pump is running on the ribbed side of the belt, just the angle of the photo?
Just the angle...

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
That makes no sense, the air pocket in the system should only be at the highest point, thats where you'd want the steam ports located.

Mine exits higher than the steam ports themselves.

Actually the original steam line on the truck engines exit in the lower right hand corner of the radiator, much lower than where I have mine...I guess that's why I thought this would work...

Thanks...I've read almost all of Bella's stuff...he has some great articles.

This is how I ran it originally...I didn't like the way it looked.

Last edited by CattleAc; 02-26-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 02-26-2014, 10:16 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by CattleAc
Just the angle...

Mine exits higher than the steam ports themselves.

Actually the original steam line on the truck engines exit in the lower right hand corner of the radiator, much lower than where I have mine...I guess that's why I thought this would work...

Thanks...I've read almost all of Bella's stuff...he has some great articles.

This is how I ran it originally...I didn't like the way it looked.

Yes, it is higher, but it's on the high pressure outlet side of the pump. You want it to be on the low side inlet. Your first routing is correct.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, it is higher, but it's on the high pressure outlet side of the pump. You want it to be on the low side inlet. Your first routing is correct.

Ok...I wasn't thinking about this correctly...high pressure on the upper pump and outlet, and left radiator tank...low pressure right side tank and lower hose...
Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

A quick hijack, Cattle Ac, Is that the Tahoe/truck rad and fans setup?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
A quick hijack, Cattle Ac, Is that the Tahoe/truck rad and fans setup?

Oh, not a problem...no they aren't...

Napa radiator #NR2700...$121.34

2002-2004 Windstar fans...

Fit like they came on the Chevelle...
Old 02-27-2014, 05:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Your original set up will work fine. Look around on here at the number of people running just the way you are. High spot, low spot, inlet side, outlet side, isn't going to matter. The fact you even have them plumbed in at all puts you ahead of the game. Like I said, pop one of the caps when you are filling the system and you will never have a problem.

Check out a diesel in a Dodge truck some time. They have a manual vent. Guess the Cummins engineers didn't spend enough time on the internet.

That Pirate 4x4 article makes the same mistake every other internet motor head does. They seem to think the motor is some sort of tea kettle with little steam bubbles floating up by the force of their own buoyancy. Guess fluid dynamics wasn't in their college coursework. The simple fact is if you have steam in your motor anywhere then you have other problems.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

IT will work fine. LS engines are notorious for being rude to fill with water... I fill the rad and leave my upper rad hose off, then fill the hose. Hook it all up, run the engine, let the Tstat open up and top the rad up.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Your original set up will work fine. Look around on here at the number of people running just the way you are.

Thanks, yes...that's why I tried it that way...I'm going to leave it alone and try it this way first.

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
IT will work fine. LS engines are notorious for being rude to fill with water...

Thanks, also. I finally took the large heater hose off and used a funnel...filled right up.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Your original set up will work fine. Look around on here at the number of people running just the way you are. High spot, low spot, inlet side, outlet side, isn't going to matter. The fact you even have them plumbed in at all puts you ahead of the game. Like I said, pop one of the caps when you are filling the system and you will never have a problem.

Check out a diesel in a Dodge truck some time. They have a manual vent. Guess the Cummins engineers didn't spend enough time on the internet.

That Pirate 4x4 article makes the same mistake every other internet motor head does. They seem to think the motor is some sort of tea kettle with little steam bubbles floating up by the force of their own buoyancy. Guess fluid dynamics wasn't in their college coursework. The simple fact is if you have steam in your motor anywhere then you have other problems.
You got it all figured out man. Those engineers at GM must have been crazy to install the steam ports. And because several people (with no clue how the system is designed to work) did it incorrectly and the motor didn’t explode, it must be ok! What does a Cummins engine/engineer have to do with an LS motor again? Oh that’s right…. nothing. Simple fact is… you are uneducated on the topic and shouldn’t be giving out suggestions on a system you don’t understand.

Just because your coolant gauge doesn’t indicate your overheating does not mean there aren’t hot spots in the cooling system. While the lack of vents or a properly operating system may not effect a mild build to the point of overheating etc... I see no reason to not have the system functioning as it was meant to. Vents are there for a reason and add to the efficiency of the cooling system. That’s why they were designed and installed in the first place!

There IS steam in a properly functional coolant system. Bubbles form on hotspots in the head passages. This is a known fact, especially on LS motors. The bubbles prevent coolant from reaching these spots unless the air bubbles(steam) have somewhere to go. The steam vents help eliminate this. The revised design blocks the aft ports to bump up the pressure in the system to help “Scrape” these steam bubbles away from hot spots in the head passages. This is all per Jamie Meyer, head of GM performance.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The 2010+ Camaros also have the steam tube going to the high pressure side of the radiator, which is essentially at the same pressure as where he has it hooked up. I think calling the two connections to the radiator the high and low pressure sides of the system is a bit misleading because the highest pressure in the system is actually where the pump connects to the block.

At any rate I prefer the way he originaly had it routed which has the steam vent high vertically and connected to the lowest pressure part of the system. This is most similar to the 4th gen Camaro setup.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steam ports aren't necessary for the system to "work". You can block all 4, burp the system well and the cooling system will still "work fine". Thats not the point. If you have it plumbed like the first pic it's not working as it's designed to. Might as well plug it.

I meant to plug the "outlet" end of your tube from the steam ports to a lower portion in the cooling system, so air steam, etc can rise up and any liquid that condenses can drain back down
Old 02-27-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

This is a known fact...

Sorry man, gotta call you on that one.

If you have something from Dr Jamie Meyer, the Heart Doctor of GM Performance Parts I would love to read it.

Quick Reply: Custom Steam Vent Q's