Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holley dominator ecu questions

Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default holley dominator ecu questions

okay so i have a 92 fox and am swapping a lq9 into it with a glide or th depends on weight i guess, any way, is it a straight plug and play or does it plug into the stock ecu and control it through there, im just confused with that. does it completely wipe out the stock ecu?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the holley dominator is/ will be your new ecu!!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Captain_Stabbin
the holley dominator is/ will be your new ecu!!!!
okay thank you, do any of you guys recommend that ecu or is their any other ecu's out there anyone recommends?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Holley replaces stock ECU. Although I havent used it yet, based on the many threads Ive seen others raving about ease and quality it sure seems the easiest route for swaps right now, especially big power stuff. Holley has built a brilliant reputation for excellent tech support. Plus the interface seems to be laid out intuitively and it comes loaded with base tunes pre loaded to start from. Seems to be the most user friendly ECU for guys wanting to tune their own builds, I see few complaints.

Or you can repin a stock harness and use a stock ECU with HPtuners or EFiLive and achieve pretty much the same end results, albeit it is quite a bit more complex to work through. Mostly due to whittling through a stock harness to delete what you dont need, and repin the ECU to match. Tuning wise, understanding the jargon used within the stock ECU and the tuning suites interface is not so easy to decipher the acronyms and terminology into laymans terms. But the sky is the limit here, lots can be done and done well if your ambitious.

The cost of tuning suite kind of evens things out.

If your unsure and want ease and quality? Holley gets my vote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cam
Holley replaces stock ECU. Although I havent used it yet, based on the many threads Ive seen others raving about ease and quality it sure seems the easiest route for swaps right now, especially big power stuff. Holley has built a brilliant reputation for excellent tech support. Plus the interface seems to be laid out intuitively and it comes loaded with base tunes pre loaded to start from. Seems to be the most user friendly ECU for guys wanting to tune their own builds, I see few complaints. Or you can repin a stock harness and use a stock ECU with HPtuners or EFiLive and achieve pretty much the same end results, albeit it is quite a bit more complex to work through. Mostly due to whittling through a stock harness to delete what you dont need, and repin the ECU to match. Tuning wise, understanding the jargon used within the stock ECU and the tuning suites interface is not so easy to decipher the acronyms and terminology into laymans terms. But the sky is the limit here, lots can be done and done well if your ambitious. The cost of tuning suite kind of evens things out. If your unsure and want ease and quality? Holley gets my vote
I have done both. 100% go with the Holley. It's really easy to learn. If you can afford it, go with the Dominator system. It controls an automatic and leaves a ton of room to grow.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 AM
Teching In

The dominator does not come with a harness ECU ONLY, so you have to pick the pieces yourself not a biggie though.

I would say if ur planning on getting a race computer dont and get the dominator ecu , it has plenty of inputs an outputs.

For a budget minded build i would go with the Holley HP Efi its much lower priced , around 1500 for ECU and harness for Ls Engines, and can do most of what the Dominator can minus Electric trans controller, drive by wire , and 2 widebands.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cam
Holley replaces stock ECU. Although I havent used it yet, based on the many threads Ive seen others raving about ease and quality it sure seems the easiest route for swaps right now, especially big power stuff. Holley has built a brilliant reputation for excellent tech support. Plus the interface seems to be laid out intuitively and it comes loaded with base tunes pre loaded to start from. Seems to be the most user friendly ECU for guys wanting to tune their own builds, I see few complaints.

Or you can repin a stock harness and use a stock ECU with HPtuners or EFiLive and achieve pretty much the same end results, albeit it is quite a bit more complex to work through. Mostly due to whittling through a stock harness to delete what you dont need, and repin the ECU to match. Tuning wise, understanding the jargon used within the stock ECU and the tuning suites interface is not so easy to decipher the acronyms and terminology into laymans terms. But the sky is the limit here, lots can be done and done well if your ambitious.

The cost of tuning suite kind of evens things out.

If your unsure and want ease and quality? Holley gets my vote
sweet thank you for that!
Originally Posted by unnatrl
I have done both. 100% go with the Holley. It's really easy to learn. If you can afford it, go with the Dominator system. It controls an automatic and leaves a ton of room to grow.
the dominator is definitely what i want so ill go with that!
Originally Posted by Hellhaunter
The dominator does not come with a harness ECU ONLY, so you have to pick the pieces yourself not a biggie though.

I would say if ur planning on getting a race computer dont and get the dominator ecu , it has plenty of inputs an outputs.

For a budget minded build i would go with the Holley HP Efi its much lower priced , around 1500 for ECU and harness for Ls Engines, and can do most of what the Dominator can minus Electric trans controller, drive by wire , and 2 widebands.
im just going to spend the money once and save for the dominator, so if the ecu is sold separate do you just buy the harness separate too?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

yes the harnesses you need will have to be purchased separately. It'll be about $500 extra for the harnesses you will need/want more than likely but from the reading I have done it is MORE THAN WORTH IT.

I'm gunna be going that route on my foxbody also. I was just going to buy a PSI harness and use a stock ecu but after thinking about it pretty hard I'm not gunna spend 600 on the harness, 500 for a tune and a couple hundred for a stock ecu. Then still need to buy a progressive nitrous controller etc. I'de have $1,500 in all that stuff. $1,000 more and I can have it all and still have the option to do the Davis TC box.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

For those wishing to go at the harness alone

eficonnection.com

Have everything you need.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I going with the Dominator in my Mustang.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

So aside from the trans control, what is it that justifies the cost over the holley HP? I am looking at both for my LM7 turbo build. Sell me on the advantage of the extra $1000 cost. Thanks all.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mufflerguy
So aside from the trans control, what is it that justifies the cost over the holley HP? I am looking at both for my LM7 turbo build. Sell me on the advantage of the extra $1000 cost. Thanks all.
- Dual channel WB O2 sensor controls
- Drive-by-wire conrols. Up to two DBY TB's.
- 4 stage progressive nitrous control
- Turbo boost control
- Water/methanol injection control
- Data aquisition and control with massive amounts of programmable inputs and outputs
- Internal data logging with 2GB memory
- Self tuning fuel table
- Store and change between 4 calibrations
- Individual fuel and spark control
- Controls optional 5.7" LCD touchscreen
Just to name a few features...

http://www.holley.com/types/HP%20EFI%20ECU.asp

https://www.holley.com/types/Dominator_EFI_-_ECU.asp

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 03-13-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

So the dominator has built in boost control, whereas the HP does not?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HP and Dominator both have boost controller config.

https://www.holley.com/data/TechServ...ifferences.pdf
Old 03-13-2014, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: holley dominator ecu questions