Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq9in 71 Oldsmobile 88,HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq9in 71 Oldsmobile 88,HELP

Im putting a 2002 Escalade engine into a 1971 Delta 88.I've been told by different mechanics that they'd charge me frm $800-$10,00.The difference in prices have me confused.What should I expect to pay for a mild swap?I have all hardware from the cadillac except transmission,which leads yo my nxt question.What would b the best transmission for this set because again I've been told 4l60&4l80 which is better and why?? Knowledgeable help would be appreciated.....
Old 03-15-2014, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

$5 to $10K is more like it,you couldn't get any reputable mechanic to swap your stock engine out for $800(whoever told you $800 is an idiot or misunderstood your question).
Check out some of the other big GM swaps on here,you will find just the basic parts you will need(wiring,mounts,fuel system,exhaust and air intake,oil pan,radiator) will run a couple of grand and we haven't even started taking about a transmission or labour yet.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A swap on a relatively un common platform is more than a swap, it gets into fabrication. Anybody that gives you a set price is usually lowballing you just to get you in the door. Once they have your car in pieces all over their floor, your at their mercy. Just my .02. Go with a reputable shop that has extensive experience with LS swaps, and plan on spending around 10k. Labor is a killer. Eric L
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should be a relatively simple swap in a chassis that's very similar to an Impala or Caprice of the same era, though I'm not attempting to imply that your quotes are legit. If overdrive isn't a concern than using a turbo 400 is an option that should save a few pennies as you should be able to reuse your crossmember and driveshaft. A 2004r may also allow you to reuse your crossmember and provide overdrive, but you'll need to replace your driveshaft. I'm sure you can find someone locally as this is only the most done swap of the ages, however don't even think its gonna happen for the quoted amounts.

Quick Reply: Lq9in 71 Oldsmobile 88,HELP