Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header advise

I'm putting a LQ9 / 6.0 in my 66 mustang I'm ready to set the engine in for the last time, I had good clearance with the stock exhaust manifolds since I have a mustang II front suspension with the inner spring aprons removed
but picking a header without trial and error fitting has got me wondering what to do,If any one knows someone that has success with this swap and knows which header will work I sure would appreciate it, Also I wonder how much horse power difference there is between shorty and long tube headers
I'm sure shorty's would fit with no clearance problems and maybe that's the way to go any info at all would be great
thanks
Vern
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't help you out on the Mustang-specific question, but with the headers, long tubes should free up roughly 10% more power. In some cases it's a lot more, and in some it's a little less.

Shorty headers are only about as good as stock manifolds, and unless you are doing it for a little nicer look, there's really no need to waste money on them
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks that answered half my questions.

Vern
Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I have heard of people using ford headers by replacing the flange with one for an ls engine, apparently the primaries line up pretty close. Might be an option if you had long tubes on the original engine. I don't know the specifics of what ford engine's ports match up, but it might be worth googleing
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

The above post is correct. A lot of how any ford header will fit will be dependant on ls motor location vs stock motor location. Shorty style headers shine in low rpm/mid range power. Long tubes scavenge better at higher rpms and therefore will work much better over 5000 rpm. A lot of your choice should be dependant on how the car will be driven 90% of the time.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys, the car will be just a cruiser so maybe I can get by with shorty's , lite weight car with the 6.0 and a 5 speed , should be a fun car to drive.

Vern

Quick Reply: header advise