Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter wiring in chevelle swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter wiring in chevelle swap

Learning as I go so would appreciate any help. Working on 5.3 into my 72' Chevelle. The question I have is, does the battery + go to the larger post on the starter solenoid and the purple wire (ignition) go to the smaller post? Also are there other connections that need to be made between the battery and the starting system?

Thanks
Bob
Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that's right, it should look the same as your sbc starter. I also used the distributors power wire for my 12v ignition source since it was there and unused after the swap.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_hawk
Yes that's right, it should look the same as your sbc starter. I also used the distributors power wire for my 12v ignition source since it was there and unused after the swap.
I agree. But if you use your old distributor wire to power uo your ignition relay on the 5.3 harness, you should probably run a new wire from the firewall connector since the wire that originally went to the coil is a resistor wire and drops the voltage down.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I agree. But if you use your old distributor wire to power uo your ignition relay on the 5.3 harness,since the wire that originally went to the coil is a resistor wire you should probably run a new wire from the firewall connector and drops the voltage down.

This bites a lot of swappers in the butt...it gets lots of guys just updating to an HEI into and old muscle car...

AVOID the resistor wire at all costs...

Quick Reply: Starter wiring in chevelle swap