Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 vs LS2 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 vs LS2 build

So I am a complete newbie at ALL LS stuff, I have a 1963 Chevy II that is getting ready for a LS/T-56. My goal for the build is a reliable 400-450wph EFI set up. I want to actually DRIVE the car instead of building a track queen.

(Cost isn't that much of a variable, Im buying a brand new T56 but would rather go with a cheaper option for the motor since its going to get stripped to bare block and getting new rings/bearing/ect)

My questions

Which is gonna be more of a bitch to work on?

LQ9- What heads would be best suited?
LS2- are stock heads OK?

Any special tricks with running a T56 behind the LQ since it was an auto?

LS2 I know has a drive by wire set up, is that easily eliminated?

Could I just throw a cam/intake and shortys on the LQ9 get the computer redone and make the power I want?

Cam?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is actually a pretty big difference between 400 and 450 whp. the first number you can hit or at least get close to with just a cam and intake. the second number will take a good bit more work.

LS2 should have 243 heads. Those are as good as it gets in stock cathedral port heads.

Drive by wire is actually not a bad thing. You just need to install a pedal. On the up side you get cruise control and a slightly cleaner engine bay.

As for LQ9-LS2, IMO depends on which is the better deal. Do some reading and see which motor comes with accessories you can use. Sourcing all new FEAD can get pricy. You have a nice light car, the aluminum block will be advantageous. Only you can decide if the cost difference is worth it.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I put an LQ9(2005 escalade) in my '69 442. It came with the DBW pedal and TAC and I love it. I have tuned the pedal to how I want the pedal to feel, IMO its great.

I put a T56 in jsut like you. I got the flywheel, throw out bearing, slave and master from a 99 camaro-all bolted right up with no probs. I did the drill mod on the master just cause everyone else was doing it. If you search my build thread(LQ9 1969 442) you will notice I followed a couple other guys and cut the trans tunnel out completely and welded it back on later. I wouldn't personaly recommend this. If I could go back I would fillet it open and pound panels to fit as needed.

I put in a 228R cam from TSP, edelbrock longtube coated headers, and the LS6 intake conversion. The intake was purely for astetics cause it's been proven on many threads here that the truck intake is just as capable. I assume I'm somewhere in the 400-450 HP range, but like POPNWOOD said, theres a big diff there.

For my car, I didn't mind the 40 lb diff for the iron block(LQ9) since I was dropping a lot already from the old big block.

If your gonna strip the block bareand rebuild, you may want to consider getting a 100K mile LQ4 pullout, and ordering the 408 stroker kit from TSP(or wherever). You'd get new crank/rods/pistons/rings/bearings...and then combine that with the L92 head/intake package from GM since they are monster ports and super cheap.

I hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have questions.--good luck.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

LQ9 with L92 heads. I got a JY motor and used heads. I have a Cam, TB, Headers and new valvesprings. made 448Hp 396TQ thru a TH350 auto.....

LQ9 is cheap and easy and will run fine on pump gas.

If your looking to build a motor, yea a LQ4 might be cheaper for a core if your doing a stoker
Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM

I am gonna go with a LQ4/9 short block and go from there.
TSP Head/cam
maybe a Fast LS2 intake?
MSD Atomic EFI (If i don't find out bad things about it)

T-56 Magnum is what I meant, what does that require for bolting up behind a LQ4/9?

I'm looking at just getting a TSP head/cam package and wondering what the difference would be if i were to go with a LS3 top end instead of LQ/6.0?

Quick Reply: LQ9 vs LS2 build