Sponsored by:

Team Z non-ls k member HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team Z non-ls k member HELP!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...torsports.html

I bought this k member listed above cause I read it was for an ls swap, but in reality its for a non-ls chevy engine (wish seller would have been clear about it) :-/ We tried sitting the 6.0 yesterday into my 92 Mustang and it doesn't line up. Im using the mounts needed but the motor sits on the k member, hits the firewall and is nowhere close to lining up. Does anyone know if I need a certain adapter plate to make it work? Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Manny
Old 04-01-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off, did you tell Dave you wanted the LS swap K? Next, look at the pads that bolt to the lower front of the car. Do the pads on the K each have two 1/8" holes aside from the mounting bolt holes? The Team Z SN swap K has the 1/8" holes. If you do have the right K then you may need to turn the mounts around. Which oil pan do you have?

It's possible they sent the wrong K member. I bought a team z K from a guy that had ordered it for a fox body. When I started the install, found out it was for an SN. The guy took it back from me but said they had sent wrong one.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MANNY Z
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...torsports.html

I bought this k member listed above cause I read it was for an ls swap, but in reality its for a non-ls chevy engine (wish seller would have been clear about it) :-/ We tried sitting the 6.0 yesterday into my 92 Mustang and it doesn't line up. Im using the mounts needed but the motor sits on the k member, hits the firewall and is nowhere close to lining up. Does anyone know if I need a certain adapter plate to make it work? Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Manny
Oh, now I see you bought it used. The guy you bought it from said it was installed, did he have an LS motor?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Nope he didn't say anything. I just saw lsx swap know member so I bought. I should have ordered a new one :-/....now could I use dirty dingo adapter plates so get the motor to line up?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you not ask the guy what he had now?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

What oil pan do you have? I'm guessing F-body?

If the K-member is for a standard small block Chevy, the motor mounts pictured will have your motor set too far back in the car. You probably have the bellhousing flange sitting 1"-2" back from the SBC position, and LS engines have substantially less firewall clearance at the back of the engine than a SBC.

You should be able to use adapter plates (Hint: We sell them-LOL) and small block Chevy mounts to put the engine in the correct position.

I believe those SN95 A-arms are going to push your wheels front wheels out about an inch.

Steve
Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Yes an ls1 f body pan. How much are your adapter plates? The ones he set are completely different than what he listed...:-/
Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear you had this problem. That really sucks. Are the mounts he sent similar to the ones pictured in terms of spacing? I know Team Z changed their LS K-member mounts at one point, so he may have cribbed that image off of their website.

Our plates are $79.95 with free shipping, but you can get a $5.00 discount by typing in LS1tech.com as a coupon code.

The unmodified F-body pan has some trouble in Mustangs depending on which K-member you use. Team Z puts the motor pretty low in the car. The solution is either to mod the pan, or get something else. You can usually sell the F-body pans for good money.

You can use the Lh8 Muscle Car Swap pan most of the time. It's cheap but the sump hangs lower than most people like.

Holley pans are awesome, but are more pricey than the factory options.

You can see the dimensions of the Holley pan compared to a stock LS1 here:

Stock LS1:

Holley:

You can find our plates here also:

http://www.scramspeed.com/ProductDet...CM500&CartID=1

If you did decide to go with a Holley pan, send me a message and I'll get you a hookup price to try to help out.

Steve
Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your mounts just like the ones pictured. I have one of his first gen k members I had to make my own mounts to not have to redo a few things. Dave has since fixed the k member and has new mounts like the ones pictured.

One thing to consider is crank centerline and fwd and aft location.

Tim

Tim
Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Teching In

negative brother, the mounts are different. Im gonna try and post a pic if I can here. I guess I can try the mounts from scram speed. I seriously don't want to spend the $$ on a new k member, I just wish this dude would of been up front with this :-/
Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

A universal swap mount is not going to locate the engine properly.
I have a jig for the mounts I made for mine. I just built a set last night for someone else with the same problem.

What oil pan are you trying to use.

Tim
Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 AM
Teching In

I currently have an f body pan on the 6.0. The engine came off a 98' trans am. I would like to use the f body pan so that I don't have to look for another pan unless you recommend a truck pan or ctsv pan?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

F body pan will not work. CTS-v with my mounts will. Engine will be in the same location as aje puts the engine.

Tim
Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
F body pan will not work. CTS-v with my mounts will. Engine will be in the same location as aje puts the engine.

Tim
How much for the mounts? Can I use everything from the f body pan like the dip stick and w/tray and pick up?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

PM sent
Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch

Tim
You sure you're both on the same page? He's got an SBC K-member. Not LS.

Steve
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I have the same k member in my car. They tried using the adapter mounts and there was only 1 moroso pan that work work the engine was 3/4 to 7/8" to far fwd. Headers would not fit.

This is why Dave redesigned the k member. The new design the rack and cross bar is pushed fwd so the f body pans fit. The mounts are the 1 piece design like the ones I made.

The only reason I have built 4 sets of these mounts is because guys got these k members and there are no mounts that work. It is a pain in the *** for me to build them I have to do all of it by hand no precut pieces.
Not trying to **** anyone off just making it easier for a guy that doesn't have the ability to fabricate their own.

It will be the 14-15 before I can ship them anyway.

Tim
Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Tim probably knows that K-member better than Team Z themselves.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

When Dave did the lsx mounts he was not aware that everyone would want to use a f body pan he made it fit a moroso. I got a k member from him to figure some of this stuff out. Him and I traded emails with Pics of the mount issues and pan issues. He had to retool for the f body pan and his mounts are similar to mine. I had the moroso alum f body pan I took off and sold to a guy that Dave built a 3rd gen k member for around my old pan.

Tim
Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

This is the drivers side

Quick Reply: Team Z non-ls k member HELP!