Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a 1982 Corvette, Secondary Air Injection options

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 in a 1982 Corvette, Secondary Air Injection options

I live in Colorado where the laws about engine swaps are pretty strict, and the I've been pretty careful to make sure that I've left the emissions devices as close to stock as possible in my swap, which is a 2002 LS1 in a 1982 Corvette. Except for the headers that is, I just couldn't bring myself to use the Camaro exhaust manifolds. So here it is: I'm probably going to have to implement Secondary air, and I really don't want to modify my ceramic coated headers if I don't have to. I'm thinking that I could just add hose nipples to the exhaust somewhere after the header collectors and use the rest of the stock system, after all the purpose of secondary air is just to speed up catalytic converter heat up. Have any of you tried this or thought about it?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask a person who does emissions if that'll fly. I know stock on my 82 Camaro there was an air fitting right on the cat as well as the manifolds. Grab a couple of those check valves if you're going to do it.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bdr66
Ask a person who does emissions if that'll fly. I know stock on my 82 Camaro there was an air fitting right on the cat as well as the manifolds. Grab a couple of those check valves if you're going to do it.
I'll talk to the emissions guy today. I have the check valves and solenoid, I'll just need an air pump and a couple of hose nipples. I sure hope I won't have to modify my headers.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

I just talked to the emissions inspector and he said that I could put the hose nipples behind the collectors so I won't have to modify the headers.What great news!

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 1982 Corvette, Secondary Air Injection options