Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 El Camino LM7-4L60E Swap

Old 04-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 El Camino LM7-4L60E Swap

Greetings, long time reader/creeper, first time poster. I guess this is a great a start as any. I look forward to posting many more times. My name is Joe and I love burnouts, so I'm starting a swap on my ratty 69 El Camino and like most of the guys here, also TeamChevelle, I can't blow a load of cash on high end parts. I have to buy bacon and beer for the fridge. I'm wondering if anybody can give me any pointers in respect to mounts, oil pan, and fuel tank options. The car is running a tired 350/350 combo. The plan is to drop in the LM7/4L60E combo and drive the snot out of it, but also have it be reliable. Looks are of course secondary. I don't discriminate against fat chicks either. lol

I have bought the engine/tranny/ecu/harness combo and I'm beginning to plan it all out. I've read the majority of the stickies for A-body swaps. My brother and I have also swapped LS series engines in B bodies and 1st gen F bodies for our friends. I'm sure you guys will tell me to search even more, but I was wondering if anybody could give me their informed opinion on my parts choices.

It seems that everybody does the A-Body swap differently. I need to start buying parts soon and I would rather not waste money on products that simply wont work. Obviously, I'm also on a really tight budget, so the Holley/Mast/Autokraft pan is out of the question.

Engine Mounts: Ebay Mounts either set at stock Location or 1"back

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Swap-motor-mounts-Adjustable-Billet-steel-LS-LSX-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7-/191128389624?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c8023c7f8&vxp=mtr
Oil Pan: CTSV/LSA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/oil-pan-kit-LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LQ4-LY6-LSA-6-0L-5-3L-Automotive-Rear-sump-12631828-/321317389832?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad0024608&vxp=mtr
Fuel tank: B-body tank swap done similar to bczee. I read and saw his great writeup on car domain. But I plan to go with a roadmaster tank because i cant cut a hole in my bed floor.

Harness: Reworked by my brother and a case of beer

Tranny Mount: Butchered by myself and my crappy flux core welder.

I know I'm new here, but I would certainly appreciate the help before I take a wrong turn and can't go back. If anybody in the LA area needs a hand, I'm also glad to help. Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails 1969 El Camino LM7-4L60E Swap-20140417_140400_resized.jpg   1969 El Camino LM7-4L60E Swap-cam00535.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

My 72 ls1/4l60e swap has an fbody oil pan, cheap eBay motor mount adapters with stock 350 motor mounts. Also running fbody headers which new are less than $200. I'm also using a stock fbody accessory drive.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:41 PM

Thanks for responding ShaneX25. Did you have issues with the front of the pan? I've heard that the Fbody pan interferes with the steering, centerlink, tie rods, etc? I have read that you need to raise those mounts and the engine about a 1/4 to make it work.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Check out my build thread, you can see how I did it. I've got about a 1/4in between the front of the pan and stock crossmember. And to clear the centerlink I welded a 1/4in thick piece of steel to the bottom of the frame stands. I kept the frame stands unbolted from the crossmember and moved the engine with the frame stands around until I had clearance at the oil pan and my headers. Then I tack welded them, pulled the motor, and solid welded them to the frame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1969 El Camino LM7-4L60E Swap