Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting my first Gen III swap. 95 240SX + 05 L33

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting my first Gen III swap. 95 240SX + 05 L33

Hello, I am a new member out of Raleigh NC embarking on my first V8 swap. My name is Alex and I have been collecting parts for this build for the better part of 3 years. I have only recently begun acquiring all of the powertrain bits and am looking to have the car running by June 30th when my lease is up at my current apartment.

I am looking for suggestions and recommendations to hopefully keep me from any delays that will push my build back. I would also like to be able to post in the marketplace

I am currently in the process of trying to remove the balancer so I can perform my cam swap and bolt the top end back on.

This site has had tons of useful info so far and I'm looking forward to being a member here. I am into all kinds of car culture and this car will be a personal project that I'd like to be competitive in many different grassroots type events. Mainly road racing, drifting, some autocross, and the occasional trip to the local strip. Ultimately the goal is for it to be reliable enough to DD when I feel like it.

Here is what I have so far. The car is a 95 Nissan 240SX, using a Fueled Racing LSx swap kit paired with an L33 and GTO T56. Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome. If you have a part I may need speak up! PM's welcome as well

05 L33 76k miles:
-Stock bottom end w/ Katech Rod Bolts
-799 Heads w/ Milled .005, Manley Stainless I/E Valves, BTR Platinum Dual Springs w/ Tool Steel Retainers
-Cometic .030 Compressed MLS HG's
-BTR 7.375" Hardened Pushrods
-LS7 Lifters and trays
-Stock Rocker Arms
-Katech High Volume oil pump (planning for HG/pushrod/cam swap to add turbo later)
-Custom ground comp cam 224/228 .58x/.57x
-LS6 Intake manifold
-CNC Ported LS1 Cable Throttle Body
-Siemens Deka EV1 60lb injectors (probably overkill, will be running FP at 3 bar)
-Truck coils
-Koyo Radiator
-Full CTS-V Accessory drive, water pump, and crank pulley

Wiring and management:
Wiring specialties S14 + LSx swap harness, plug and play including charge harness, dual ECU switched fans, chassis harness plugs right up for reverse lamps etc, and retains full cluster functionality.
AEM 30-1220 LS1 Plug and Play ECU, I think I may be in need of something for 02 monitoring here but unsure, need to do more research.

Trans:
05 GTO T56 46k miles
ACT TwinDisk Clutch
OEM GTO Slave cylinder
Remote bleed line
Pilot bearing
1 Piece DShaft

Please let me know if there are parts that I will need to use in combination with the above that I am missing.

These are some things I know/think I may need. As I make more progress I will come across more...
FBody shifter and cup to fit shifter into oem trans tunnel opening (anyone wanna trade)
?LS6 Coolant crossover lines? (<< Do I need to use this?)
Hardware to fasten the IACV and TPS to the throttle body
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

No love huh?

I guess I could try to win you over with some pictures then!

I just recently sold my bike to free up some funds for the build. It was a street legal converted 94 Kawaski KDX250 w/ barely 1900 miles on it. Ran about 85mph on the top end and would still carry the front wheel for the first few gears. It was a blast but I knew I'd eventually hurt myself.

Heres a quick picture

Heres a pic of a basic bolt on 240SX, mostly suspension and I/H/E. I parted it and the SR20DET I was building up just before I started stacking up for this car. Was a blast with R-Comps in the twisties.

And a pic of my 06 RX-8 that I had around the same time. Loved the handling but it needed more power and had tons of stupid issues the whole time I owned it.

Teaser wheel AND body shots showing the new shoes and threads for the current 240SX. My friend is doing the bodywork, I am planning on painting the car VW Tornado Red.

More interesting yet?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome bro. Working on my S14 - LM7 turbo setup at the moment. Great choice of parts so far but what is the purpose of the build? Are all of the parts listed purchased already or are some of them a wish list? From there I may be able to offer some assistance from the info I have been gathering. Also new to this V8 world but not the chassis as I have owned my S14 since 2003.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2muchboostNY
Welcome bro. Working on my S14 - LM7 turbo setup at the moment. Great choice of parts so far but what is the purpose of the build? Are all of the parts listed purchased already or are some of them a wish list? From there I may be able to offer some assistance from the info I have been gathering. Also new to this V8 world but not the chassis as I have owned my S14 since 2003.
Thanks. I'll have to check out what you have going on, got a link to your thread maybe??

I'm pretty choosy with parts. I have had at least one S-chassis in the stable since 04 myself, and this V8 is a first time swap for me as well. I actually have all the stuff listed above in the garage already (excluding back-ordered parts), only missing a few pieces to hopefully finish this build. There are some pieces I may go a different direction with and I'm pretty certain my pushrods are going to be too short.

I had originally planned on going turbo as well, but money went faster than expected. I really like drifting but can appreciate other forms of motorsports and want something somewhat well rounded. Soooo the chassis mods are pretty extensive.

Suspension/brakes wise I am running the following.
Front:
Driftworks front knuckles
Steering rack moved forward 1 inch on crossmember
Yanack solid rack bushings
30mm extended and rod ended S14 FLCA's
Moog inner tie rods and OEM S14 outers
Maverick Motorsports tension rods
Nismo powerbrace
18x11 Work Rezax IIs
Wilwood 4pots on 350Z Track rotors
D2 Coilovers w/11kg/mm springs (would like something different eventually...)

Rear:
SPL RUCA, Traction, and Toe Rods
Z32 Uprights w/ defworks sphericals all around
PBM RLCA's
SPL Subframe and diff bushings
D2 coilovers w/8kg/mm springs and Z32 fork style lower mount
Maverick motorsports caliper bracket W/ Quad Z32s squeezing Cobra R rotors
ASD Hydro brake
18x12 Work Rezax IIs

I still need sways and am undecided on caging the car or just buying some braces. Budget will decide that... I got some nice stuff going on in/outside as well but I'll save that for later.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

I don't have a build thread as work hasn't allowed me enough time to make progress enough to warrant a built thread but if you search my name there is a thread where I outline the project. You have a great list of parts for sure. If I may suggest looking into a wide and a different clutch master. The NGK AFX was a great price and worked very well for me in my previous project but others like PLX have nice ones as well. For the clutch master I would go with a Tick adjustable or Wilwood. People swear by the Tick and frequently say it's one of the best investments related to the trans.

For coils I went with custom valved Fortune Auto 500 with Swift Springs and 11kg front and 6kg rear.

What are you doing about the differential setup? I ended up swapping in the early gen Q45 with 3.54 ratio and Z32 & Q45 axles. The axles are some of the strongest Nissan made with 31 spline.

Last edited by 2muchboostNY; 05-01-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

I don't have a build thread as work hasn't allowed me enough time to make progress enough to warrant a built thread but if you search my name there is a thread where I outline the project. You have a great list of parts for sure. If I may suggest looking into a wide and a different clutch master. The NGK AFX was a great price and worked very well for me in my previous project but others like PLX have nice ones as well. For the clutch master I would go with a Tick adjustable or Wilwood. People swear by the Tick and frequently say it's one of the best investments related to the trans.

For coils I went with custom valved Fortune Auto 50th with Swift Springs and 11kg front and 6kg rear.

What are you doing about the differential setup? I ended up swapping in the early gen Q45 with 3.54 ratio and Z32 & Q45 axles. The axles are some of the strongest Nissan made with 31 spline.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 AM
Teching In

nice build!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

I want to do a build thread but I hate stopping when I'm working and I'm selfish, so I hear ya on that. It is my goal to do one for this car though, time will tell whether I do or don't.

I want to look into using one of the AEM widebands that is compatible with the AEM 30-1220 ECU I'm planning to use. It should allow me to datalog the signal with the built-in ECU memory. But, being the ECU is older it may be outdated or unavailable in which case I will look into the options you listed. I really wanted to try AEM's new Infinity but waiting for plug and play version.

I went with the fueled racing kit because I really prefer the way their mounts were designed. They have been really helpful and nice over the phone, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again. Their kit optionally includes a Wilwood master and the hydraulic clutch and remote bleeder lines. So hopefully I'm set there.

For coils I went with custom valved Fortune Auto 50th with Swift Springs and 11kg front and 6kg rear.
I'm jealous of your Fortune Auto coils, a lot of people seem to like them, and I have heard nothing but good about Swift springs. I have been wanting to try Fortune, and also really interested in having Odi spec some custom Feal coilovers. I went with D2 because there is a local D2/Rota distributor nearby and I got mine w/ different rates and the Z32 fork mounts and they hook it up on the price (any interested parties D2/Rota-wise feel free to PM me, but don't waste my time)

That is a nice stout differential setup for sure. I actually am split between a few choices 2-way, S15 Helical or a Spool (weir performance makes one) I already have a 3.692 R&P from a JDM S15 R200. I really like the gearing of the GTO T56 w/ the 3.692 set and my tire height. I had put a Kaaz 2-way in an old hatch of mine and it worked awesome but it was so noisy with solid diff bushings and a stripped car. I pretty much liked welded better on a stock tire-size car, but I have broken a welded on a stock KA S14 w/ 235 R-comps... I know I will need axle upgrades but I am going to try and stick with the stock R200 for now.

Originally Posted by 1SMKN99
nice build!
Thanks! I recently hurt my back so progress has been slower than I'd like, but I am excited for sure.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

You will want that 3.69 in there. I thought the stock 4.08 was way too short for my liking. Ive rode in an s13 with gto trans and a 4.08 and he had to launch in 2nd to get any traction.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

The AEM Infinity is nice but like you said no plug and play yet. If you have the funds for the Infinity have you looked at the ProEfi 128? Coming from a 2JZ build I got the pleasure of seeing both in action. Both are stout systems for sure but I was more familiar with the 128 unit.

The 3.69 gearing is nice for sure but the advantage of the 3.54 was the axle strength. Seems like you will be going turbo at some point and this setup has proven stout as it has been taken into the 8s.

Last edited by 2muchboostNY; 05-02-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Check out Matts thread when you get a chance. Very unfortunate but he passed away not too long ago but was super helpful and his thread was as well....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...501&styleid=27
Old 05-02-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

awesome build, I'm still using the stock r200 4.08 as my cam loves the higher rpm, might do a cam swap so I can lower the gear ratio,1st gear is useless on the street, or put a ford 8.8 or 9" back there so I can run my micky thompsons without breaking crap, looks like you have everything you need for the swap, hope it goes well, I used the sikky kit, worked well for me.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rigid
You will want that 3.69 in there. I thought the stock 4.08 was way too short for my liking. Ive rode in an s13 with gto trans and a 4.08 and he had to launch in 2nd to get any traction.
Yeah I played around with all the ratios on a calculator and I like that 2nd has me well past 60, and 5th runs out to ~175 on the 3.69 with a max RPM of 7k and my tire height. It will be faster than I ever want to go in a 240SX lol.

The AEM Infinity is nice but like you said no plug and play yet. If you have the funds for the Infinity have you looked at the ProEfi 128? Coming from a 2JZ build I got the pleasure of seeing both in action. Both are stout systems for sure but I was more familiar with the 128 unit.

The 3.69 gearing is nice for sure but the advantage of the 3.54 was the axle strength. Seems like you will be going turbo at some point and this setup has proven stout as it has been taken into the 8s.
I had looked into ProEFI 128 and it looks like an awesome system but there isn't much out there to read about and I have never encountered it first hand.

I know people run the Q rear for the axle strength as well as rear ratio change. I am unfamiliar with what differential choices exist for that pumpkin though. I was planning on keeping the R200 for ease of parts availability and just planned on upgrading the axles to DSS parts when I twist them. I have 3 sets of axles so I can stand to destroy a few

Check out Matts thread when you get a chance. Very unfortunate but he passed away not too long ago but was super helpful and his thread was as well....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...501&styleid=27
I am familiar with Matt Everetts car, there was one particular video where he removed the wastegate spring and calls the car a "tire-frying mother-****er", I laughed pretty good watching that video. I did find out through this site that he had met his demise in the 240SX, it is sad to hear, and I wish his friends and family the best after experiencing something like that.

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
awesome build, I'm still using the stock r200 4.08 as my cam loves the higher rpm, might do a cam swap so I can lower the gear ratio,1st gear is useless on the street, or put a ford 8.8 or 9" back there so I can run my micky thompsons without breaking crap, looks like you have everything you need for the swap, hope it goes well, I used the sikky kit, worked well for me.
My cam is also spec'd to run pretty hard up top while sacrificing some of the low end torque to make throttling in traction a little easier. I plan on upgrading the diff, but will likely wait till after the car is running and driving.

The Sikky and Fueled kit seem to be the go-to kits for an off-the-shelf mounting solution. I would like to try my hand one day at a bottom dollar swap using the holley mount/header parts and canton pan in a simpler DD type car.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

The 128 unit was very impressive but to be perfectly honest not very used friendly. Once the parameters are set the unit is extremely capable. Sound Performance who is huge in the Supra community has installed them in everything from turbo vettes to their 1,200+ 2j-240 build. About 95% of the people with the unit has had a tuner handle the tuning.

The Q45 3.54 setups I have seen have all been kept stock. To be perfectly honest I have never looked at aftermarket options for that setup. But in stock form it has proven to be more than capable.

Another thing I have heard of people doing but never experienced it personally is doing the 3.54 Q45 swap and then switch out the internals for the R32 GTR clutch-type internals. The few threads I have read about claim that's the clutch-type is more consistent (less likely to slip) than the Viscous design.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

The 128 unit was very impressive but to be perfectly honest not very used friendly. Once the parameters are set the unit is extremely capable. Sound Performance who is huge in the Supra community has installed them in everything from turbo vettes to their 1,200+ 2j-240 build. About 95% of the people with the unit has had a tuner handle the tuning.

The Q45 3.54 setups I have seen have all been kept stock. To be perfectly honest I have never looked at aftermarket options for that setup. But in stock form it has proven to be more than capable.

Another thing I have heard of people doing but never experienced it personally is doing the 3.54 Q45 swap and then switch out the internals for the R32 GTR clutch-type internals. The few threads I have read about claim that's the clutch-type is more consistent (less likely to slip) than the Viscous design.
I'm right there with you on the 128. It seemed like an extremely capable and equally rugged ECU but the lack of familiarity steered me away. From what I read on MotoIQ the AEM Infinity will be released as a plug and play for the LSx, I plan to upgrade as soon as I can afford to. From what I've read the majority of the latest stand-alones are pretty much amazing.

The internals are the big thing steering me away from the Q rear end. I will likely wear a viscous out in pretty quick fashion. Reason being, if no ones around I'm pretty much gonna be sideways. I can't imagine one lasting terribly long. I have had viscous, clutch, welded, and helical diffs before. I really think I want a helical for this car, and they have proven to be just about indestructible. Second option would be a spool, at which point I'd certainly be worried about axles. I might also mention I don't plan on launching this car with slicks, maybe drag radials.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

If you wanted to chat with a very knowledgeable AEM Infinity tuner and user contact Undercover Performance in NJ. Those gusy have been messing with a troubleshooting the system for some time and knows the system well. I know of 2 people running them in the Supra and all I can say is wow. For the price it is a great quality setup. I was fortunate enough to land my 128 on a great deal when it just started becoming popular in the import world. I ended up grabbing it with all of the bells and whistles for a little bit more than the cost of the Infinity. I did love how well the 128 functioned and the 2-step was mint but again most of it not as user friendly as some of the other systems out there.

Another system you may not have heard about but is picking up speed is the ViPec units and in particular the V88. From what I gathered the guy that used to create the MoTec units and custom units used for F1 applications went off on his own venture and created this company. Not sure if its true but from the feedback it seems to be another kick as option with remote tuning capabilities....like plug an internet connection to the unit while its on the chassis and the tuner can be on the phone with you making adjustments. Crazy technology!!!

Lol I hear you on the sideways thing. I dont think we have much of a choice with our light chassis and these powerful motors & setups.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so a long time ago I started this thread. And at that point I had just decided FI was not in my budget. My direction shifted with the build at that time and I made some different choices and got pretty close to up and running NA. BUT, of course, I ran into some issues with my setup. And it ended up putting FI back on the table. Unfortunately, I still cannot afford it, but that's not going to stop me.

Recently, with the help of my roommate, I have made some decent progress. The plan is back to forced induction and alot of the plumbing has been routed tacked and final welded recently.

I am using flipped truck mani's w/ 2.25" Vbands and 2.25" to 3" merge/up pipe to a T4 footprint .96A/R Precision 7675 CEA. I still need an intercooler, BOV, and some bungs for sensors but I have all the bends pipe and tube for the build. Once the air is plumbed I am pretty much down to just needing the fuel system.

Here are some recent pics of pretty much how it sits now. I am going to be selling a few things and needing some parts coming up soon, I will post a list in here as well as in FS.

Last edited by skiziFiziks; 07-16-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Following this thread. I am finishing my GTO LS1/ 240 this weekend in order to make an event at AMS on sunday.

Quick Reply: Starting my first Gen III swap. 95 240SX + 05 L33