Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck happened?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What the heck happened?

I've got most of the swap done and started the truck up. I bought a mail order tune from a sponsored member on the forumn. Truck is still abit rich but idles o.k.I had it running for 10 minutes and shut the truck off. I went inside the house to grab the laptop and hook up hp tuners. Went to start the truck up and move it forward away from the house. The truck runs like crap. I touched the header pipes and they were only hot on 5,7,6 and 8. Any ideas on what it might be?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the coils?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Clogged/stuck fuel injectors are common if they have been sitting for awhile. First check to be sure they are getting signal/power from the computer. If everything checks out electrically then I would remove them and clean them by soaking in cleaner.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Launching!

I'll swap out the coils on weds. The part that bothers me the most, is it was running on 8 cylinders and now only 4. Guess I'll check the coils for ground and see if that makes any changes.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

How do you know it was running on all 8 cylinders? I've had them run smooth on as little as 5. If you have good spark, then I would do as suggested and take the injectors out and soak them. You can hook a 9 volt battery up to them and quickly touch one terminal to make sure they "click" before putting them back in, if they don't click, they're still stuck.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cold exhaust is a pretty dead give away that they cylinders aren't working.

Before swapping any coils I would pull the plug wires and make sure the front ones are firing. Could be power or ground like you suspect. Can't hurt to pull the plugs and check them for fouling too. That is pretty common on a fresh start.

Quick Reply: What the heck happened?