Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Mustang 5.3 liter twin 72mm Mirror image snails, street car with a/c!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 97 Mustang 5.3 liter twin 72mm Mirror image snails, street car with a/c!

Figured some may be interested to see this swap/build...

1997 mustang with 80k miles, clean as hell texas car that my GF and I are building..i Originally bought for myself, but she wanted the car...so i gave it to her...and here we are, She's doing most of the work with my guidance and assistance along the way....anywho, heres the specs.

2008 5.3 with 48k orig miles, and PRC stage 2.5 heads
Speed inc Tu2 turbo cam
OBX twin turbo headers
Twin 72mm Nelson mirror image chargers
Holley mid ram EFI ls intake with a pair of 4150 nitrous plates under the upper plenum(for whenever we choose to set the 5.3 on hiroshima mode)
Holley dominator EFI
4L80E trans
fully built 8.8 rear
Racecraft chromoly race kmember
Racecraft chromoly a arms
strange coilovers
racecraft rear arms
going with florida5.0 gauge bezel, with custom speedhut gauges

not sure if im going air to air, or air to water for intercooling

This is going to be an absolute street car, power steering, ac, full power options, very nice sound system, etc etc

Car will have full interior, interior is currently tan, we stripped a fresh 2004gt with dark charcoal leather and plastics from a salvage yard, doing a custom rear seat delete with a pair of sundown sv2 8" subs, using a pair of 1500.1 kicker amps, doors and rear deck panel will get kicker component rs65's with a kicker 650.4 powering them, and she wants a double din...so likely going with a pioneer as ive had good luck with them in previous builds.

anyways, car should very easily make 1000 horsepower, and likely in the 1300ish range turned up on good fuel without trying to nuke bomb it...

plan is to have the car out within the next few months(we just bought it) heres some pics we've taken just goofing around, we will take more now that there is a build thread involved.

My 6.0 that i donated to the cause, but we found a smoking deal on a 5.3, so were using that instead..here is the 6.0

heres the 5.3 we picked up, 48k some odd miles.

the headers

underside of this thing while we were taking the motor out...

Engine bay is 100% stripped right now, we are in the process of welding in scott rod panels, and smoothing the entire engine bay, right now its going to be painted satin black...after this season of racing...the car will be getting painted Purple

Heres my gf making a goofy pose after we got the motor yanked out and started stripping the engine bay...

Here's the motor after literally just taking a lint free rag with brake cleaner and wiping the pistons down, entire motor is super clean inside and out.

Here is the color she's chosen to go with, its a VHT engine enamel "silver blue mettalic" I think it looks pretty good, should look rather good in the bay, and match well with the purple we are painting the car.

I busted my damn damper remover tool, so waiting on the new one to arrive so i can yank the balancer and install the new cam/timing chain/pump and 2pc front cover.

There you have it...Ill continue updating this thread as updates occur...and i realize this LS swap isnt for everyone, just realize whatever you comment negative...its just wasted effort...nothing will change the direction of this build, We are going LS for several reasons...I've already got the motor and all engine parts needed basically, I can tune LS motors myself with HPtuners as i have it on my laptop...and im very very familiar with LS stuff...Really isnt worth it to try and stick with ford power, and spend the money needlessly for a motor that will handle the power we want to make....when i can put the money elsewhere in the car on nice parts.

Just to give you all an idea on how the plumbing will be setup...Im going to copy a friend of mines build, and alter it slightly to how i want it..here's a few pics of his setup...

My alteration to this setup, My turbo's will be hung almost directly off of the header's(im using obx's he used stainless works which are identical in design), with the exhaust outlets facing the fender aprons, the exhaust and merged wastegate tubing will go through the scott rods panels, and then follow his routing, and go under the car into SVO style side exhaust(she saw a pic of it, and fell in love with it)

Here is the SVO style exhaust..

We have a TON of work to do still, we will update this thread regularly...we plan to have this thing out and moving under its own power within the next 2 months or so

Last edited by HO99Vertz28; 05-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it's going to be a nice clean car!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Your GF must really like/love you if she's willing to help work on your car. LOL. Like sex, it will stop *IF* you ever get married. lol.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Launching!

At the first of the page it says that its her car. This is a really nice build, cant wait to see more.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tannerc91gt
Looks like it's going to be a nice clean car!
thanks for the compliment, ive followed your build as well...its badass!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Your GF must really like/love you if she's willing to help work on your car. LOL. Like sex, it will stop *IF* you ever get married. lol.
uhm what? It's her car....and i doubt the sex will ever stop...just sayin, i got one of the rare ones....lol
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup
At the first of the page it says that its her car. This is a really nice build, cant wait to see more.
thanks man!

Little update, i am shipping the holley midram intake to Nitrousoutlet, spoke with brandon today about doing a nitrous setup on the intake(just in case)...or to help spool...and he is anxious to do the job, this will be their first mid ram intake they have done, I am going with a Dual stage!

right now we're detailing the motor, and finishing stripping the interior out, all plastics from the 2004 gt will be getting SEM coated with fresh color, and brand new carpet/wiring for sound system installed this weekend, so tons of pics to come hopefully if the weather holds off for us.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, look forward to seeing the finished project. There's no way I could get my wife to help in the garage. Lucky guy you.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Nice, look forward to seeing the finished project. There's no way I could get my wife to help in the garage. Lucky guy you.
Hahaha, this was basically her idea. Hell today i had some freetime and wanted to finish priming and painting a few engine bits...she wont let me, she wants to do it....so i played some xbox ahah....we should be getting a good chunk of work done this weekend, then next week, suspension and motor gets installed, then its off to the shop to start the turbo fab work.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have any pics of your twin 72mm nelson mirror image chargers?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypaul
There is a thread by 52Merc that has the same ones. I don't recall if they are 72mm or not, but they were made by NRE.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Your girlfriends car? and she pulls wrenches? Damn. She have a sister?. Just teasing. Actually Im jealous. Nic ebuild. Sure seems to be a popular swap. And with good results.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tonypaul
not yet, we havent gotten them yet.

Originally Posted by Stormed_Norm
Your girlfriends car? and she pulls wrenches? Damn. She have a sister?. Just teasing. Actually Im jealous. Nic ebuild. Sure seems to be a popular swap. And with good results.
yes its her car, and yes she does turn wrenches...she actually wants to do most of the work, shes done the painting so far...along with most wrench turning, shes gotta crazy infatuation with my air impact and electric impacts lol.

We got this accomplished yesterday, this week we'll be cleaning the 2004 gt interior, redying everything with SEM brand interior paint, not sure if we're going black, or just keeping everything dark charcoal like the 04 gt interior is...thats her call...then mid/later this week we are going to clean and paint the outside fender aprons, and install all of the racecraft goodies on the front clip...and possibly the rearend..

i know not much of an update, but we had alot of stuff to do lol, tmrw ill be going to get some dry ice to remove all the old sound deadener, then shes gonna clean and prep the floor for some new paint, and fatmat, gonna route the stereo/audio cables in the floor, and make the mount for the holley dominator in the dashboard where the passenger airbag would be
Old 05-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

the other brightside, not that im surprised, but this thing doesnt have an ounce of rust anywhere...its incredible...makes working on this thing soooo much nicer!! my little 3/8 lithium impact removed every bolt no problem, it took a 1/2 breaker bar to get most of the bolts loose in the 2004 gt that we stripped the interior out of!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Sweet build! Can't wait to habe my turbo ls1 99 mustang done
Old 05-12-2014, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Just saw your thread, looks damn good so far! Thanks for the compliments, ill be following your build
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Have you got your turob's from NRE yet?
It took them 11 month from when I paid them till they sent them
Good luck with that!
Yes Mine are 72mm B/B

Old 05-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 52Merc
Have you got your turob's from NRE yet?
It took them 11 month from when I paid them till they sent them
Good luck with that!
Yes Mine are 72mm B/B

Not yet

Here are a few updates, I ripped the HVAC box apart to install a new heater core and a/c evaporator....and low and behold...****** already had brand new ones installed...so oh well, money saved, i took it apart anyways to spray some deodorizer in the box(previous owner smoked)

They had to have been done by previous owner, he never mentioned doing it...and the kid who owned it, couldnt have done it himself...kid was a moron, I couldnt even tell the dash had ever been out of the car, nothing was broken/everything was clipped where it should have been aside from one plug behind the dash....and they used genuine ford parts! wooo!

Then i focused on getting the factory k member ripped out

And then threw money at it...I didnt take a pic of the CC plates without tape on them(its sitting outside for now, didnt want rain on them)

Here's the coilovers

Here is a test spot where i sprayed the undercoating i plan on using on the outer fender aprons...Im thinking about spraying the engine bay with this as well, im not sure..That will be the GF's call.

Next up after makign sure all the suspension goodies bolted up fine without issue, the outer fender aprons are going to be fully scrubbed and painted, and She will decide what were going to use on the engine bay itself...

the Interior will soon be coated with both Lizard skin sound deadening, and Ceramic temp control coating, Depending on how it lays, I may undercoat the car with it as well....this car has ZERRRRRRRROOOO rust anywhere, Id like to keep it that way.

Ive been going through the planning process of the audio system for the car, she wants it loud and clear like my cummins system is...

Since we're doing a rear seat delete, Im likely going to put 8" sundown v2 subs in the rear seat wells in a custom built box, the amps will be mounted on the "back" portion of where the seat would have went, Im thinking two 650.4 kicker amps up top spaced apart to match the width of the 2500.1 kicker amp that will power the sundowns, with a custom backlit logo of her choice in the center between the amps.

Probably going to go with a pioneer navigation double din, ill let her choose which one she wants, and kicker RS components in the doors/rear deck and kickpanels.

Also been working on blending the LS harness to the factory ford main engine plug so that the entire engine harness(aside from batt cables and starter cables) is removable with one single bolt.

Been awhile on updates, but ive had a crazy bad case of gout last week or so, so i havent been able to walk.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Looking good man. I just made an 18 hour round trip to pick up another roller from SC and started ripping it appart sunday. Got the front end apart and started removing some of the wiring. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this wiring ****, think I'm going to just remove all the ford wiring except for anything that runs to lights, or interior then just order a standalone harness for the ls. I don't have the knowledge or patience to figure out the wiring. May be bugging you for some pointers lol.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Nice build!

Depending on the undercoating you sprayed on the fender aprons (im assuming its rubberized), I wouldn't spray the bay with it. I would think that the rubber would melt a little with the heat of the engine bay. I personally sprayed mine with a Satin Black engine paint since it is made to stand high heat. Just my .02 tho.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FrossB
Nice build!

Depending on the undercoating you sprayed on the fender aprons (im assuming its rubberized), I wouldn't spray the bay with it. I would think that the rubber would melt a little with the heat of the engine bay. I personally sprayed mine with a Satin Black engine paint since it is made to stand high heat. Just my .02 tho.
Yeah i just looked at the can, and checked out the test portion i sprayed yesterday, it kinda stays tacky, so we'll be going with something else for the engine bay painting...its her call though on color, though i think she wanted black.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

When did you order your NRE turbos? Did he give you an ETA?

Quick Reply: 97 Mustang 5.3 liter twin 72mm Mirror image snails, street car with a/c!