Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hybrid tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hybrid tahoe

While I was installing a Volant air intake and TB spacer I noticed that my tahoe has the 243 casting heads on it, which got the wheels turning. my engine is an all aluminum 6.0L with a 10.8 to 1 compression. do you think Fbody/GTO/Vette parts would bolt right up(Obviously checking for clearance issues. I think a high HP Hybrid Tahoe would be the best sleeper ever.

Last edited by leftysrepsol; 05-10-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An aluminum 6.0L with 243 heads is already more or less a LS2 so swapping in a car motor would be a waist of time and money. Also every thing I've read says TB spacers are also worthless, they worked good on motors with carburetors or TBI but do nothing for port injected motors. If you want some more power get some headers and maybe look into having your intake ported and getting a mail order tune. If thats not enough it's time for a cam and ported heads but then you MPG's might start to drop off.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Turbo it.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

I'm not going to do an engine swap, just wanted to know what would bolt on to it. I don't want to kill the gas mileage, thats why I bought the hybrid. Im wondering where the line between performance gains and killing gas mileage is.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by leftysrepsol
Im wondering where the line between performance gains and killing gas mileage is.
You will be amazed how much power, economy and driveability are in the calibration. But a great calibration isn't worth your exhaust fumes if you can't control your right foot.

Your Tahoe is large, shaped like a brick and heavy. Large, heavy vehicles with poor aerodynamics are difficult to get good economy from - basic physics. There are improvements to be had from stock though you will need time to experiment to get them working for your stiuation.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

So you are saying my buddies SIlverado can't get 24mpg ? Hint hint wink wink, Gofastwithclass.

Take the spacer back and buy some gas with the $$.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

I bought the Volant and spacer for $150 on craigslist, so it really didnt cost me anything
Old 05-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=gofastwclass;18202836
Your Tahoe is large, shaped like a brick and heavy. Large, heavy vehicles with poor aerodynamics are difficult to get good economy from - basic physics. There are improvements to be had from stock though you will need time to experiment to get them working for your stiuation.[/QUOTE]

But its a Hybrid so its a bit better than a stock one and I need it to tow my boat and haul the family.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aknovaman
So you are saying my buddies SIlverado can't get 24mpg ? Hint hint wink wink, Gofastwithclass.
You know the answer to that. I'm just saying it isn't a Prius that's all.
Like I said, it's all in the tune. Speaking of... I still need to make a highway run where I drive sensibly. So far I can only get 25-26MPG. Hahaha

Originally Posted by leftysrepsol
I bought the Volant and spacer for $150 on craigslist, so it really didnt cost me anything
Wow, I need your budget. If $150 "isn't really anything" to you then I'm in the wrong business.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

I can help you with that tune...........
Old 05-12-2014, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think he meant the spacer was basically free with the volant. If $150 were nothing the 1.5 extra mpg of the hybrid and mileage overall wouldn't be such an issue.
But, try headers and a tune. Nothing is going to change the fact that your car is about as aerodynamic as the side of a barn while on the interstate, but maybe you could improve around-town mileage a bit.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The hybrid system only works while driving in city/stop and go environments. It doesn't do anything for the hwy mpg. The standard mpg mods will help the hwy mileage a little, but like others have said the aero is what will keep that low. Weight reduction mods are your next best bet. That heavy battery is kind of negating a lot of the benefits of the hybrid system.

I never understood the Hybrid tahoes. Their mpg ratings didn't seem nearly worth the cost unless you did all city driving.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aknovaman
I can help you with that tune...........
No doubt, but you can't help with my right foot!

Quick Reply: Hybrid tahoe