Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 5.3 truck motor fuel regulator??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 5.3 truck motor fuel regulator??

Hi im putting a 5.3 non flex fuel in my 88 jeep. my question is they cell a fuel pump kit using a corvette fuel regulator/filter.
the question is the filter/regulator has a feed in and the return right back to the tank and a single line to the engine. I have a feed and a return line on my engine alone {im guessing here} a valcume regulator on the fuel rail .
So how do i hook it up my jeep wasnt fi so no tank pump. do i just need a electric fuel pump with a single line going to the rail and then run a return line back the tank with no external regulator? ir somthing?

PLEASE HELP
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

You answered your own question in your last paragraph. Ditch the corvette filter and use a regular one, then fuel pressure line to the rail and return to the tank. 2005 'should' have a returnless rail though, makes me think its not an 05.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Teching In

well acording to the vin its a 05 and during some digging itey kept switching from returnless and returned-but any more info will be apreacated
Old 05-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Teching In

My '05 5.3 had no regulator/return. It's also a non-flex fuel LM7. I used the Corvette regulator/filter.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Corvette filter system works great...I hated the thought of an unnecessary extra line full of fuel running back to the tank. My filter is on the frame rail back by tank so the return line is really short.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel Rail Question

Originally Posted by oldecmech
My '05 5.3 had no regulator/return. It's also a non-flex fuel LM7. I used the Corvette regulator/filter.
Hi, You made a post a couple of years ago about a returnless fuel rail with a Corvette fuel filter saying you used on your setup. I have a 2003 Vortec Flex-Fuel engine going into a S10. I have a 2 line return type fuel rail on it now and want to put on a 2005 Vortec returnless fuel rail with a Vette fuel filter and only run one line up and dump the Flex-Fuel option. I have read that there is no trouble with the fuel volume, but the air in the rail has no place to bleed out. I have read you can and you can't. I don't what to believe. I also heard GM spent a lot of time with software to correct this problem in the single line setup, my 2003 wouldn't have this software if this is true. Could you tell me if you used this setup and if it worked for you. It's been a couple of years since you posted that and you would be the person to ask because you actually did it and if it worked and if you had any issues. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Have a good day.

Bud
Old 02-09-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is what I discovered regarding the fuel lines for the 5.3. I used the standard supply/return with the factory regulator but kept getting a lean condition. The fuel pressure only went to 50 PSI which I discovered was normal whereas my tune required 58 PSI. I ended up going to the 'Vette filter/regulator with one feed line going forward (nylon GM line...nice). Used new fuel rails for an LS1 with homemade brackets and now no lean condition. I added a Schrader valve at the dead end which could be used to vent trapped air but the heat gun indicated that the header was heating like all the others which means it was getting fuel just fine.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 5.3 truck motor fuel regulator??-intake-7-002.jpg  
Old 02-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WebKruzer
Hi, You made a post a couple of years ago about a returnless fuel rail with a Corvette fuel filter saying you used on your setup. I have a 2003 Vortec Flex-Fuel engine going into a S10. I have a 2 line return type fuel rail on it now and want to put on a 2005 Vortec returnless fuel rail with a Vette fuel filter and only run one line up and dump the Flex-Fuel option. I have read that there is no trouble with the fuel volume, but the air in the rail has no place to bleed out. I have read you can and you can't. I don't what to believe. I also heard GM spent a lot of time with software to correct this problem in the single line setup, my 2003 wouldn't have this software if this is true. Could you tell me if you used this setup and if it worked for you. It's been a couple of years since you posted that and you would be the person to ask because you actually did it and if it worked and if you had any issues. Any help would be deeply appreciated. Have a good day.

Bud
I don't understand the logic. You have returnless rails that GM put on million and MILLIONS of engines, but you don't think they'll work?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I don't understand the logic. You have returnless rails that GM put on million and MILLIONS of engines, but you don't think they'll work?
He said he has the return style rails, but wants to switch to returnless, probably to keep from having to run a return line all the way from the engine to the tank. Or, he likes spending more for a fuel filter...

But to answer one question, the air will be purged out of the rails when you crank the engine over and the injectors open, so no special procedure needed.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Returnless fuel rail

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Hi JoeNova, I was told that when GM switched to returnless fuel rails they spent a lot of time on software to address the possibility of air in the fuel rails. The fuel pumps ran on a pwm signal which somehow addressed this issue. Like you said there are millions of returnless fuel rail systems out there. The vehicles that came with them may have the correct software and/or other mods and that is why they have no issue. My question is will a 2005 returnless fuel rail work on a 2003 that was not designed for a one line rail system work without poor idle, lean conditions or CELs Thank You.

Bud

Quick Reply: 2005 5.3 truck motor fuel regulator??