Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in to 83 square body fuel supply question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in to 83 square body fuel supply question

I'm in the middle of my swap and have a question.I'm running the 87 fuel sending unit my question is... Do i need to flare the supply and return Ports for quick connects? Or can i just hose clamp to them? My second question is on the dorman quick connects ive looked and looked and can not find the part numbers on here... My third question does anyone ha e pictures of what you guys have done from the sending unit to the regulator to the fuel rail. Any help is apprrciated!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What are you working on? You said "83 square body" but that description fits nearly every car I've see or driven from the 80's. Knowing what you are working on might help someone who has done your specific conversion share information.

You could flare the fittings for GM quick disconnect, but it requires a special tool and I happen to own one that does them (and several other fittings). I'm not aware of anywhere you could rent one and it was expensive enough that many other much more useful things could be purchased by most people for their swap.

If you are going to use rubber hose, you need hose rated at J30R9 and proper non-serrated fuel injection hose clamps. I've used this for short and medium runs and it's fine, but it is NOT submersible. For long runs I use either steel line flared for GM fuel fittings or OEM style nylon fuel line. For the in-tank hose you need J30R10 which is $$ and sold by the foot or OEM style soda straw line which is much less expensive.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Do you know the part numbers for the nylon hose? And the fittings i need? Im going to run the corvette regulator and its an 83 c10, thanks
Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Are you sure you have an '87 sending unit? It should be flared for an efi fitting already. It should look like this

5.3 in to 83 square body fuel supply question-getimage-1-.jpg

Or this

5.3 in to 83 square body fuel supply question-getimage.jpg
I'm using Russell for my fittings. You shouldn't have to use any rubber hose except from the pump to the outlet.

Last edited by stereojnky; 05-13-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.3 in to 83 square body fuel supply question