Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need PCV advice w/Vic Jr. intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need PCV advice w/Vic Jr. intake

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on the current setup in my '67 Camaro. I have an LQ9 w/Edelbrock Vic Jr and an Accufab 4150 TB. LQ9 valley cover, No MAF sensor. Ported 243's/cammed, etc. Roughly 450rwhp.

(ignore the red arrow, that was a ground strap pic)

Right now I'm just running a catch can with a breather on top, with one port attached to the drivers side head and the other to the passenger side head, with no PCV valve, and no connection to a vacuum. It's catching oil as intended, but I have noticed some oil seepage around the valve covers and from under the valley cover.

For simplicity, here's the current setup:

I'm not worried about emissions, but I'd like relieve some of that crankcase pressure and not dump it straight back into the intake. I'm thinking about adding an LS6 valley cover, but I'm not really sure about how to run the hoses. My valve covers have one port on the front of the passenger side, and one on the rear of the drivers side. I'm open to suggestions, and if you need more details, please ask.I'm also going to swap out the valve covers in the near future, but I won't buy them until I know what my hose routing should be.

I have read that with the LS6 valley cover, you go from the VALLEY COVER -> CATCH CAN -> INTAKE. The intake just has a 3/8" plug in one of the runners, would you attach it there? What do you do with the valve cover ports? The TB has two vacuum ports on it. But I don't want to pull a vacuum from the valve covers do I? Should I use one of those ports to connect to the catch can? Help!?!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump for advice.

A quick search reveals this thread I started last year, which got me to where I am today: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I ran a vacuum line off of the rear of my carburetor's throttle body. Instead of a PCV, I am running a .050" restrictor orifice. That vacuum line goes to my catch can which draws from an LS6 valley cover vent. I would imagine the same setup could be done from the valve cover.

Now, you must tell me where you got that air cleaner decal.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have any advice with the Vic Jr intake...but the rear ports on the OEM valve covers get joined...and run up to the port just after to the TB. I understand that you are not using this setup. The passenger front port goes to the TB.

this link has a picture of the stock setup (near the bottom).

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

It also details how you do the LS6 valley swap. Im in the process of doing that right now...should have it done tonight. I'm not even sure how you would connect your system when if you did the LS6 valley cover swap.

the Vic Jr must have a port somewhere for the PCV..if not you may need to run vented valve covers.

I have read that all PCV oil catch cans are not equal..not saying that's the issue but I do not know which one you have.

Best of luck...nice ride by the way!!

EDIT: this link may help- guy on a gto forum with similar issue-

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/archive.../t-265124.html

drilling another hole for vacuum may be the solution.
Leon

Last edited by reedld; 05-14-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I ran a vacuum line off of the rear of my carburetor's throttle body. Instead of a PCV, I am running a .050" restrictor orifice. That vacuum line goes to my catch can which draws from an LS6 valley cover vent. I would imagine the same setup could be done from the valve cover.

Now, you must tell me where you got that air cleaner decal.
Thanks. If I install an LS6 valley cover, it will be one of the newer ones with the PCV built in.

The decal is custom, I found a guy on eBay that makes them.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by reedld
I dont have any advice with the Vic Jr intake...but the rear ports on the OEM valve covers get joined...and run up to the port just after to the TB. I understand that you are not using this setup. The passenger front port goes to the TB.
My valve covers only have one port on each one (front of passenger/rear of driver side).

this link has a picture of the stock setup (near the bottom).

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

It also details how you do the LS6 valley swap. Im in the process of doing that right now...should have it done tonight. I'm not even sure how you would connect your system when if you did the LS6 valley cover swap.
Thanks, I've seen that. I'm not worried about the swap, that should be easy. I won't have to cut the block with the LQ9, and I built the engine from a short block, so tearing it back down isn't a problem.

the Vic Jr must have a port somewhere for the PCV..if not you may need to run vented valve covers.
I'm not opposed to vented valve covers, but I'm worried about the engine bay getting misted with oil. It's not a show car, but the hood get's popped plenty.

The Vic Jr. has a 1/8" port between the #4 and $6 runners that goes to the MAP sensor, and a 3/8" bung in the #8 runner that's blocked off right now. I can use that if I need to, although the Accufab TB has 3 vacuum ports (I thought there were only 2), 2 smaller ones and a larger one. So I have plenty of options there.

I have read that all PCV oil catch cans are not equal..not saying that's the issue but I do not know which one you have.

Best of luck...nice ride by the way!!

EDIT: this link may help- guy on a gto forum with similar issue-

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/archive.../t-265124.html

drilling another hole for vacuum may be the solution.
Leon
I have a VMS catch can with 2 internal baffles and a breather on top: http://www.vms-racing.com/productsin...ateID=4&ID=534

It's catching plenty of oil, and you can see some steam vapor leaving if you pop the hood after a drive, so it's doing something, but obviously not enough. I think I need a vacuum in there somewhere.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm considering leaving that first setup I posted the way it is, and then running a second closed catch can setup from the LS6 valley cover -> 2nd catch can -> vacuum port on TB.

That would leave the valve covers vented through one catch can, and provide a vacuum to the PCV valve in a non vented catch can.

Does this sound like it would help?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I totally understand about not using a vent...oil mist would bother me too.

When I first swapped my OEM 1999 valve covers out with the GM Pontiac ones, I noticed a oil leak around the the valve covers. They did not come with a hole in the rear passenger side...so I removed the covers, drilled a hole, reconnected, and the leak disappeared.
Here is a pic of the present setup

Sounds like you have a nice oil catch can! I may go that route too if the LS6 valley cover swap doesn't work.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just ordered the LS6 valley cover. Now I'm down to one of the two layouts, anyone have thoughts on the two?

#1) LS6 Valley Cover -> Sealed Catch can -> Vacuum on TB, then connect the two valve covers with a hose and run a breather/oil cap on the passenger side:

or

2) LS6 Valley Cover -> Sealed Catch can -> Vacuum on TB, in addition to the existing open catch can (Valve cover -> Catch can w/Breather -> Valve cover):
Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 67rally
This is how I run mine.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is how I run mine.
Do you get any oil misting the valve cover?
Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 67rally
Do you get any oil misting the valve cover?
No. .
Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

No. .
Thanks. I might try this, since I already have the single catch can in place as well as an oil cap breather I never used.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:11 AM
Launching!

X2 agree with speedtigger
Old 05-17-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

I run a line off both valve covers on dads car. Catch can on the firewall. Never get anything other than water in it. Over 20k on the car.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I run a line off both valve covers on dads car. Catch can on the firewall. Never get anything other than water in it. Over 20k on the car.
I get a little oil and some water in mine with my current setup...

But what I'm really looking for is a way to decrease the crankcase pressure so oil doesn't try to push out from under the valve covers or from under the valley cover.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to go with #1. I looked into getting another catch can to match the one I have and it's on 3-4 weeks back order.

My new LS6 (GM# 12577927) valley cover and gasket shipped out today. I'd like to get this swap done before next weekend, since I'll be away for the whole Memorial Day weekend, but I'm not sure that it is feasible. At least I'll have the parts on hand for when I have a couple of free hours.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just a quick update...

I just swapped out the LQ9 valley cover for an LS6 valley cover. The LS6 valley cover has an internal PCV valve with a vent tube coming out the front. I didn't have a PCV system before, just a hose running from one valve cover, to a vented catch can, to the other valve cover. And I have been getting a little oil pushing out from under the valve covers and from under the valley cover as well.

Here's what I had been running for a setup:

And the old LQ9 valley cover (that black hose in the middle attached to the vent tube on the front of the passenger side valve cover):

And this is the new setup:

And the new LS6 valley cover (I hadn't installed the knock sensors yet, and you can see the vent tube in front with a red cap on it):

Here it is all plumbed up and back together. It took about 2-2.5hrs start to finish, and now I have a working PCV. I have an oil cap breather installed on the drivers side valve cover, and the catch can is now a sealed system, but I didn't capture it in the pic.:

Everything went back together easy, and I fired it up, no vacuum leaks and not throwing any codes. It was beginning to rain, so I didn't take it out. I'll put about 100 miles on it tomorrow, so if there are any issues, I'll know soon enough.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Beautiful job 67rally...I am really interested in your engine, I am currently doing a swap on my old hotrod engine. It's a 2000 LS1 5.7, I'm taking off the LS6 intake and installing a Victor Jr. and I plan to use the stock throttle body topped off by an old school Caddy/Olds air cleaner. I hadn't thought about the PCV until I read this thread so my interest is high. I do have a question...how is the low end drivability?? I have some "genius" friends telling me I'm going to screw the car up by doing the Victor Jr.. I will also be doing a cam and springs at the same time but will retain the stock cathedral port heads. I'm somewhat of a blockhead about this stuff and pretty much have a habit of ignoring the "experts" and just doing what I want.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
Beautiful job 67rally...I am really interested in your engine, I am currently doing a swap on my old hotrod engine. It's a 2000 LS1 5.7, I'm taking off the LS6 intake and installing a Victor Jr. and I plan to use the stock throttle body topped off by an old school Caddy/Olds air cleaner. I hadn't thought about the PCV until I read this thread so my interest is high. I do have a question...how is the low end drivability?? I have some "genius" friends telling me I'm going to screw the car up by doing the Victor Jr.. I will also be doing a cam and springs at the same time but will retain the stock cathedral port heads. I'm somewhat of a blockhead about this stuff and pretty much have a habit of ignoring the "experts" and just doing what I want.
Thanks. There's a link in my signature "LQ9 Swap Thread" that has all the info and parts I used for the swap. It should be a good resource. I have decent cam, ported 243's, Accufab 4150 TB...

Low end drivability is just fine. I did give up some low end torque with the Vic Jr, but I'm still putting down 410tq to the rear wheels, so it isn't too bad. I had mine Speed Density tuned by Don at Slowhawk, and he did a great job with it. It's not my daily driver, but I do live in an area with a ton of traffic, and have no problems with start and stops, or puttering around town. On an open stretch of road, it's an animal!

Quick Reply: Need PCV advice w/Vic Jr. intake