Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem

I've been driving my car for 3 months without a working speedo. I have not found any new info on how to make it work, other than on the site I put a link to at
https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/7...edo-converter/

Has anyone tried this? I would like someone who knows something about electronics to "decode" or explain to me what is being done in this circuit, and break it down to which wire comes and goes where?
I have had my ECU set with HP tuners for the correct tire size, and set to 16,000PPMs, and gone directly to the back of the speedo to place a separate ground wire to the gage and placed the resistor on the ground wire, and run a separate wire to the Signal terminal on the gage, and placed the capacitor in the wire coming from the ECU speedo signal out wire and connected it to the gage signal terminal.
I installed a new VSS vehicle speed sensor in the T-56, and I'm using a new painless wiring harness.
Your help is appreciated.
Thanks
rand24r@telus.net
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem-speedo-head.jpg   LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem-capacitor1.jpg   LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem-capacitor2.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like resistor & capacitor mount in the same wire from the PCM output to the gauge.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 S13 240SX speedo fix

Here is more info form the fellow that designed this. Another guy confirmed it worked.

http://ekwang.wordpress.com/
Old 05-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Default speedo fix schematic

Any one else care to chime in on what the designer intended to demonstrate in the schematic?
There are 4 terminals on the back of the electric speedo head. A ground, a signal, an Ignition, and the fourth goes to the Nissan ECU terminal 32, which will cut the ignition when the speed limit is exceeded. This terminal in now void. Ignition wire would supply voltage to electric speedo.
I have run two wires , one from the ground terminal, and one from the Signal terminal, and run the wires to the LS1 ECU. There is a green wire labeled VSS OUT that I connected to the negative side of the capacitor, and the Positive side to the Speedo Signal wire. I had put the resistor in the ground wire before attaching it to the chassis. I have reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake pedal for several minutes.
HP tuners was used to set correct parameters for diff and tire circumference.
Where would you put the resistor if using the wires I have for connections?
I figure I can't be wrong going directly to speedo this way???? Thanks for helping.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem-speedo-head.jpg   LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem-wiring-diagram.png   LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem-ls1left.jpg   LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem-loweredfront.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Teching In

The capacitor will charge and discharge though the resistor changing the pulse to a sine wave. Not a very good sine wave though.

The VSS wire from ECM should be connected to + side of capacitor.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Pick up a Dakota Digital SGI-5 unit and contact Yuri at Wiring Specialties...he will point you in the right direction.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...roduct_id=126/
Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

or do what I did and use a gps heads up display spedometer
Old 05-16-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

^^^^That is the ideal solution....but on a budget the SGi-5
Old 05-17-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

the gps hud spedo was only 150 on amazon,
Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Huh.......never saw them for the price. There ya go
Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Default S13 240sx with LS1 Speedo Fix?

Well I ended up getting the DD SG-1, and with a little playing around, now have a working speedometer.
The HUD unit is reasonably priced, but I wanted my Odometer to work as well, for maintenance work like oil changes.
I was in contact with Dakota Digital "TECH" department, and got no usefull info from him as how to set it up. There are a couple of posts on here that were more helpful.
Thanks to all who contributed!!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got done wiring up my speedo using the EKwang writeup and my speedo works which is awesome. I was also really confused by the "build this" instruction on that site since I don't know anything about wiring schematics. His HPTuners Speedo settings worked for my car, although the speed is off from my GPS speed by about ~2 MPH due to my tire differences (I'm running a 275/40/18 RE71R).

Buy/find a 1uf Capacitor and a 22k Ohm resistor. Wire the Positive side of the capacitor (should be the long leg) to the LS1 speedo gauge output (it was Pin 50 - the Green/White wire - on my L33 ECU), and wire the Negative side (should be marked on the capacitor wrapping, and it's usually the short leg) of the capacitor to the Yellow/Lavender ("Y/L" in the schematics - it's the yellow wire with a light blue stripe). The Resistor will "T" off of the negative side of the capacitor and connect to the Yellow/Black ("Y/B" in the schematics) wire coming from the middle connector of the gauge cluster (I "Teed" into the Yellow/Black wire to connect the resistor). I couldn't get to those wires from the under dash connectors, so you'll have to remove your gauge cluster.

The Capacitor and resistor should only cost a few dollars, and considering the Dakota Digital box is $100 or so, this is a much better solution!

Last edited by FlatBlack; 04-22-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 in S13 240sx Speedo problem