Sponsored by:

L76 - TR6060 Swap - How best to wire the E38

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 - TR6060 Swap - How best to wire the E38

Hi Guys, first post here.
I am swapping an L76 manual from a 2011 VE Commodore (G8) into a 2001 BMW e46 coupe. I'm in Melbourne, Australia by the way. The back is broken on a lot of the mechanical challenges and now I'm up to wiring the engine and am looking for some guidance from the guru's in this forum before i go much further.

Ideally i would like to have the VSS and cruise functioning. That's what the thread is about- How best to wire up the E38 and integrate the electrics properly.

This is the mechanical setup:-
6.0Litre, L92 stock heads, DOD removed, Mild Cam (218,212), Tri-Y Headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, TR6060 (although the labels on the gearbox say TUET 7000), Quaif LSD.
Engine management is with the stock e38 ecu (serial number 12625455) tuned with HPtuners-NGK AFx. It should end up as a nice daily driver.

The BMW's wiring and controls will remain largely in place including its ECU. This is to preserve the Can-bus system and functionality like security, climate control, dash, ABS, stability .......
Coding with BMW software (Ediabas, INPA) will look after any control set points (like fan temp triggers). Any non required functionality like O2 sensors will be coded out of the BMW's engine management as this task will belong to the E38.

The L76's ECU will be relatively stand alone from the BMW, although there will be some X-connection. For example, signals like the following will be supplied/controlled from the BMW's wiring / relays: Ignition on, starter motor, fuel pump, A/C compressor, cooling fan, brake and clutch pedal.
The following signals will be supplied from the GM gear to the BMW:
Crank signal (so the stock dash's tach works), additional water temp sender, ....
An android device (phone or small tablet) will monitor the engine's health through the OBD2 connection and an App like Torque.

The harness is stock, and I'm currently having a go at modifying it, thanks largely to the great info on lt1swap.com. It doesn't look too hard, but it has been a struggle so far to find reliable wiring schematics and just to note what i can confirm is that the pinouts on the Aussie VE commodore's E38 are near enough the same as a 2011 Camaro (differences are mainly that the commodore's wiring is set up without the DOD).

My specific concerns that i would like guidance with are:-
1. VSS source. The wiring to pins 71 and 72 of the X1 (black connector) is with twisted strands from a can signal. There is no provision VSS from my gearbox and from what i can gather so far, the stock set up in a Commodore looks to be that the pulses come from the ABS signal via some of the body modules; which i currently do not have - i only have the engine computer. So the first question is how do i get a readable VSS signal?
If it is BMW's ABS to GM body module(s) to E38:-
-What are the requirements? What gear do i need?
-Any practical hints?
-Can anyone point me to drawings/schematics?

2. Cruise. What options are there?
So far, i can see two viable possibilities:-
a. A stand alone system from Spanky's Rod Shop that interfaces with the accelerator pedal plug.
b. Reconfigure the stock set up (Can-bus, switching stalk, body modules.......) - Again, can anyone point me to drawings/schematics? And there is also a concern about the coding of the GM modules (I've read that all of the modules need to come from the same car, else a trip to the dealer is required to code them all together)- anyone know about that?

3. Flash. For the HP tuners , what car should this be flashed as. Is it best to keep the Commodore or is another platform better for some reason?

Any other ideas and watch-outs would also be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Steve E
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pinouts I found on another forum for the Pontiac G8. Looks like it has a link to the actual Holden model too.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=33446

I'm trying to figure out the cruise control too. No news yet, but I'm hoping to get more info.

For HP tuners, I think you want to keep it a Commodore. I've read on the hp-tuners forum that switching to another model car, particularly if its a different year, has risks of bricking your E38 ecm.

My swap is using a transmission that has a VSS signal, so I'm not sure about your transmission. That seems weird to me. I wonder if there is an adapter from the T-56 that you could use with the TR6060?

Quick Reply: L76 - TR6060 Swap - How best to wire the E38