Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines

I'm trying to wrap up my intake swap on an LQ9 w/TBSS intake, Ballistic Speed 90mm DBC throttle body and LS6 valley cover. I'm just not quite clear on the various PCV lines and want to confirm the steam line. I have plugged the rear driver's PCV port, but I'm not sure about the passenger vent line. I think it goes to the throttle body, but where does the actual LS6 PCV line route to? (see pics). The LS-6 valley cover how to is for an LS1 and it seems to have a separate spot in the intake:
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii..._installed.jpg

As far as the steam lines, I think I just need to run the line over to the radiator line at the cap; my only problem is the line off the radiator cap is larger than the steam vent line. Am I missing anything here?

Thx!
Attached Thumbnails TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines-driver-s-valve-cover-pcv-plug.jpg   TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines-pcv-vent-line.jpg   TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines-steam-vent-line-radiator.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On car intakes the vacuum source for the PCV is up near the TB and there is a little pre-bent tube that would connect it all up. With the truck intake you'll have to run a hose from the PCV port on the valley cover up to the regular PCV vacuum source on the top of the intake. You might be able to drill and tap the intake for a new vacuum source but I'm not sure where behind the TB to put it to ensure good vacuum.

Steam tube does NOT run to the line port by the cap!! That is for overflow. Steam tubes are pressurized with the rest of the system and the steam tube needs to be routed somewhere "within" the cooling system. Search "steam port" and see the hundreds of ways it has been done by others.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I added an inline aluminum nipple open to the coolant flow in the upper radiator hose.
picture is worth 1k words.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines-img_0167.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is actually an aluminum -6 male AN fitting. I used a push-in female hose end for the steam vent hose. I suspect the photo made that all obvious.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
On car intakes the vacuum source for the PCV is up near the TB and there is a little pre-bent tube that would connect it all up. With the truck intake you'll have to run a hose from the PCV port on the valley cover up to the regular PCV vacuum source on the top of the intake. You might be able to drill and tap the intake for a new vacuum source but I'm not sure where behind the TB to put it to ensure good vacuum.

Steam tube does NOT run to the line port by the cap!! That is for overflow. Steam tubes are pressurized with the rest of the system and the steam tube needs to be routed somewhere "within" the cooling system. Search "steam port" and see the hundreds of ways it has been done by others.
For the PCV vacuum source on top of the intake, I'm using that for my brake booster, and I've read elsewhere not to tee into it. However I see a couple of other potential spots, per the pics. The one has some connector that looks like it was originally part of the plastic air intake piece for TBSS (saw this on another post); not sure how to connect into that but I'd think it would need to be plugged in any case. 2nd pic shows a vacuum nipple that is manufactured in the intake but not used; looks like I could just cut the end off and slip a hose onto it and down to the PCV on the LS6 valley cover. Thoughts?

Thanks for info on steam fitting; I've ordered a Jags that Run inline radiator hose w/steam fitting and draincock to bleed any air:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...g_LSI-tee.html
Attached Thumbnails TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines-tbss-intake-vacuum-source-1.jpg   TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines-tbss-intake-source-2.jpg  

Last edited by Goldhawg; 06-13-2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: more info and pics
Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per the first pic: that is the port that is usually used for the brake booster but you don't have the nipple. Trucks that had hydroboost had a plug in there. Not sure what the PN for the vacuum nipple part number is but I got mine from a wrecked truck in JY. Just happened to get lucky enough to find a truck in u-pull yard and took the nipple. If you find one in a yard, get the hose and check valve off the booster as well. The hose has the proper sizes on each end as the intake nipple is like 1/2" and the booster check valve is like 3/8"

I broke the tip off the second pic and used the vac source for my HVAC vents that operate on vacuum.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hadn't updated this thread; my non-car guy brother noticed the plug in my original intake, and said, "won't that work?" Duh?! So I've plugged the first port and clipped off the end of the vacuum line in the second--will use that one for the PCV. Problem solved. Thx

Quick Reply: TBSS intake, LS6 valley cover intake swap on '02 LQ9, ??s on PCV & steam lines