Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trucks clutch fan deletion K1500 techs needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Trucks clutch fan deletion K1500 techs needed

So I have an 1988 K1500 Sierra. I have a dual lt/ls cooling fan laying around and got extra pigtails to wire it in... but what I'd like to do is run it off the ignition or something that turns off as soon as the key is in the on (not run) position. Is there anything under the hood I can hook it to and got a fuse block from a junk car/truck to run to the battery etc. I've already got a wire for the light of the aftermarket tach (as these trucks didn't come with a tach) mashed into the ignition fuse spot under the dash which I would also like to run that wire with the fans to clean things up slightly. Can i piggy back the wiring for fans onto the fuel pump's wire that is on the firewall maybe???
Electrical is not my strong point btw.

Thanks in advance
Charlie
Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can use either key on power to trigger the fan relays, or you can use fuel pump trigger. Use the trigger side not load to the pump. There are also a wide range of relay/switch devices on the market for this purpose. In any case you can also search here for a remedy. This has been explored many times in the recent past.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

cool thanks. i figured i could, but i didn't know if i would short out my fuel pump esp since its new with like 500 miles on it. but the key on trigger sounds like that's what i want to use.
thanks again.

Quick Reply: Trucks clutch fan deletion K1500 techs needed