Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 or LQ4 in my 1970 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 or LQ4 in my 1970 Camaro?

Guys, im new, im sure the questions i am going to ask have been asked a thousand times but please provide some links to other threads. I was on here for hrs last night and was having trouble finding the info i was looking for. I guess a little info would help, I'm building a 70 camaro with either a LY6 or LQ4 i'm thinking with a T56 trans and 373 gears. I'm hoping to make some where around 400hp, looking to build a strong street car. Keep in mind my budget is about 7k i'm figuring. Here are my questions:

Should i Carb it vs EFI? I hate wiring!!! and with it being a street car i was thinking this might be a cheaper route and easier route for me to go.

LY6, what changes am i going to have converting it? sounds like a new cam, what else?

LQ4, should i buy new heads? and if so which ones? cam? what else?

Or is there another route i should go? I have been an old school small block guy, so when it comes to these motors, i'll be honest, i know nothing!!!

Thanks for the help guys, really looking forward to learning a lot from the guys on here.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Teching In

any help guys???
Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please search.No one will respond with helpful answers.

I will say this,you will do a great disservice to your LS based engine by going carb,IMHO.Plus it will be more expensive to go carb.There are a couple vendors that make the harness need to to do the transplant you want to do.400 hp is easily attainable with EFI.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

A stand-alone engine harness will cost you less than a carb/intake/ignition controller for an ls motor. Plug it in to the ecu and start it up.
EFI isn't nearly as intimidating once you start to learn how it works. We were all carb guys at some point.
And depending on how much you plan on changing and modifying your combo over the years, you may not even have to learn how to tune.
400hp will be easy with a cam and basic bolt-ons just like your sbc's-headers/intake/head upgrade.

what's your budget?

If you're looking for answers specific to your car, ask specific questions... or resort the threads in this forum based on the number of replies and then start reading the bigger threads on 2nd gen camaros.

If you're looking for answers on engine stuff, you might check the Gen III Engine Forums on here. Much of this sub-forum is devoted to vehicle specific swaps, build threads and issues, rather than general drivetrain questions.

Welcome to the party.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ddc456
Guys, im new, im sure the questions i am going to ask have been asked a thousand times but please provide some links to other threads. I was on here for hrs last night and was having trouble finding the info i was looking for. I guess a little info would help, I'm building a 70 camaro with either a LY6 or LQ4 i'm thinking with a T56 trans and 373 gears. I'm hoping to make some where around 400hp, looking to build a strong street car. Keep in mind my budget is about 7k i'm figuring. Here are my questions:

Should i Carb it vs EFI? I hate wiring!!! and with it being a street car i was thinking this might be a cheaper route and easier route for me to go.

LY6, what changes am i going to have converting it? sounds like a new cam, what else?

LQ4, should i buy new heads? and if so which ones? cam? what else?
LY6 will have VVT I believe, which will you'll have to decide to delete or not... an LQ4 will be a little more basic combination, but if you're building a motor, I would start with an LQ4 or LQ9(higher compression, floating wrist pins).
I like the idea of the LQ's better, because they're more basic from the start.

Also, don't make any decisions based on only one person's opinion on this forum, especially only mine... I've only been in th ls game for under a year and still on my first build. There are lots of people, and manufacturer reps, on here who can give great advice.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Perfect thanks for the info. Looks like i should stick to a LQ9 or 4. beside the intake, fuel rails, pan and the front pully assembly what else would i need to change? Would i be better off buying a LQ9 because of the 243 heads?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Perfect thanks for the info. Looks like i should stick to a LQ9 or 4. beside the intake, fuel rails, pan and the front pully assembly what else would i need to change? Would i be better off buying a LQ9 because of the 243 heads?
Depending on what intake you want, you might not have to change the front drive accessory drive. Some aftermarket intakes will clear the truck accessories.
But changing intakes adds to your budget, which opens up options for the carb route. When you do a swap, you really just want to figure out all of your options and just pick one and do it. If you don't spend the money in one spot, you'll probably spend it in another.
The lq9 will be have a few more more-desirable attributes than the lq4, but with different future upgrades you may not need them in the beginning.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Here's a build you might check out in regards to pulleys and intakes.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/1554603-1970-firebird-lq4-t56.html
Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
Here's a build you might check out in regards to pulleys and intakes.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554603
hahaha i just found that one and saved it in my favorites....thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I have an LQ9 with a Edelbrock intake and Holley carb in my 65. I did not want to fuss with all of the EFI stuff either. I use and recommend the Corvette accessory drive system. It clears everything and is not ugly like the truck accessory drive system. You can get it used or buy the GMPP kit that comes with everything.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have an LQ9 with a Edelbrock intake and Holley carb in my 65. I did not want to fuss with all of the EFI stuff either. I use and recommend the Corvette accessory drive system. It clears everything and is not ugly like the truck accessory drive system. You can get it used or buy the GMPP kit that comes with everything.
what heads are you running on yours?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

what heads are you running on yours?
I am running PRC CNC Ported LS6 heads from Texas Speed. I think they are one of the best buys out there.

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1391-pr...ted-heads.aspx

If you do decide to go carbureted like I did, you have to be careful about the camshaft selection. These engines need some different valve timing events when running a carburetor.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Carb versus EFI is a toss up, If you go EFI you'll need wiring harness and upgrade your fuel system and you'll either have to learn how to tune it or pay someone to tune it so it's not as cheap as some will lead you to believe. With a carb setup you can use your old fuel system and tuning can be done by just about anyone with a little know how.

LQ4 Versus LY6 Depending on the year of the LQ4 it will probably have pressed wrist pins instead of floating that the LY6 has. The LY6 will also come with much better LS3 style heads rather than the cathedral port heads on the LQ4.
Both are capable of making good power with a carb or EFI, If you are buying used and plan on running them without a rebuild I would pick the one that is in better condition lol.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 AM
Launching!

if u go carbed go with the ly6
Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Nice. Thanks guys for the feed back. I am up in the air as to what I am going to do.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

400hp ?
Just a cam and headers with using a LQ4, LQ9, LY6 cam do that with no other changes

How much is a harness ?
Can you tune it, or do you need to take somewhere when up make changes ?
Do you have all the EFI stuff ?

The rest of the swap is all going to cost the same.

Just a few reasons I went the way I did

Quick Reply: LY6 or LQ4 in my 1970 Camaro?