Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Nova air filter & MAF

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 Nova air filter & MAF

I'm putting the parts together to get my LR4/4L60e put in place of the 250/Powerglide in my Nova.

One thing that's got me stumped so far is the MAF and placement in relation to the intake. I'm keeping the truck alternator location and will have electric fans instead of the clutch fan.

I've been looking at the cheap ebay CAI knock offs and I can't see where the hell the MAF is supposed to fit in these things. Am I missing something here? Or can I just buy a cone filter and sandwich the MAF between it and the throttle body??

I wasn't planning on converting the car to speed density so I'll need to solve this.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for an intake setup i'm all ears. The battery is staying in the stock location too.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Here's an example of the intakes I've seen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-06-GMC-Ch...9335e2&vxp=mtr
Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default MAF placement

When I was doing the intake on my '39 several people pointed out not to place the MAF to close to the throttle body because it causes swirling and flat spots. You have more room that I did and "off the shielf" stuff may be available for your application. If you want to build something that look at www.intakehoses. com
Old 06-24-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

I bought the spectre version of what you linked off the shelf at my local PepBoys. THe MAF goes between the pipe and the cone filter. Not sure on the cheapies, but sure seems like the spectre was designed to MAF there from what I remember...and only cost $100 from what I remember.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
I bought the spectre version of what you linked off the shelf at my local PepBoys. THe MAF goes between the pipe and the cone filter. Not sure on the cheapies, but sure seems like the spectre was designed to MAF there from what I remember...and only cost $100 from what I remember.
thanks. The more I read, the more likely it seems it is worth just taking the plunge on one of these cheapies. I know a performance shop that can give me any missing stock pieces if I need them in order to set this up and fill the gaps.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my 71 Nova LS1.. I just ordered some K&N connectors (one 4", one 4" to 3.5", and two 3.5" ones), some Hose/band Clamps and some Spectra aluminum elbows (one 3.5" 45 Degress elbow and one 4" 90 degress elbow)..All found in the Summit Catalog. I has some extra 3.5" aluminum tube I used to extend it out some.

I recommend putting the MAF in a straight section as much away from any bends as possible. If you do a SD tune, you can just order a longer section of aluminum piple to do away with the MAF

Here is a picture of my setup.. but it is pretty common with many as a standard setup.

My 71 was a 250/PS car also.

BC

Quick Reply: 72 Nova air filter & MAF