Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Google part # there is a holley catalog PDF with a pic of crossmember .sorry can't fig out how to post pics
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seen that one pic i'm looking for more and how the adapter fits it.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll post up the installation instructions today for you as they clearly show how the adapters work for various transmissions.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1970camaroRS
Not cheap...wonder if they will be worth it over my 1-3/4 pacesetters that I worked over with a hammer to fit...Kind of wish they were 2" or 2" into 1-7/8"...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-2333-7hkr
The link you provided is for the stainless versions of the headers, which is more or less the going rate for premium US made 304ss headers these days. Keep in mind that you can also purchase the same long-tube headers in painted steel and ceramic coated steel.

On top of that, there's also similarly finished mid-length header options for those that prefer to use them. No "hammer work" is needed to install the Hooker headers and you don't have to slice big chunks off of the trans bell
housing to install them with a 4L80e/4L85e automatic either like some of the header installs I've seen for this swap application.

A very small number of swaps being done actually need 2" or larger primaries, which is why we chose bend geometry that maximizes component clearances (A/C box, starter, brake proportioning valve, spark plug wires etc...)using 1-7/8" as the largest primary tube size; you wouldn't be able to run 2" primaries using the same bend geometry scheme without running into clearance issues somewhere.

They also have the best ground clearance I've seen on any G-body LS swap.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 6togo
I seen that one pic i'm looking for more and how the adapter fits it.
This document should provide clarity for you on how the various brackets are used with the crossmember. We broke the brackets down into separately available parts so you only have to buy what you need to install the transmission of your choice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hooker G-body crossmember.pdf (389.7 KB, 492 views)
Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

What's the part number for the Crossmember? Is it available yet?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
What's the part number for the Crossmember? Is it available yet?
12644HKR is the part number for the base crossmember, which will allow you to install a T56, T56 Magnum, 2004R or TH400 (TH400 and 2004R installs require a 12650HKR height spacer to go under the rear mount) into a 83'-up G-body that came from the factory with the 2004r frame extension. The following bracket kits will be available at the same time as the crossmember to account for the non-2004R frames and/or the 4L80e and 4L60 transmission installations:

12647HKR- non-2004R frame adapter bracket kit
12655HKR- 4L60 thru 4L75 adapter bracket
12656HKR- 4L80e adapter bracket

The first production run of the crossmembers is in process now and we will get them boxed and up on the shelf as soon as we receive them. I'm expecting that will be right around the 1st of Dec.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Hooker A/G-body 3" exhaust system

For those that have heard me mention the Hooker exhaust systems also coming for the A/G-body, here's a couple of images of the installed system that show you the tubing bend configuration and the overall layout. I built this system out of aluminized tubing to speed the validation process, but the production parts will be stainless steel. The system will be available in both 2.5" and 3" versions with optional Monte Carlo SS style dual rear exit tailpipe kits also available for each. There is no cutting, welding or drilling required to install them onto your car.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any idea what the 3in will cost?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

So you have to buy additional adapters to make the crossmember work with certain trans another $40 on top the CM cost that makes it a bit costly and very universal. Atleast the other makers build them per trans app.no making them work with extra parts sorry to say i'm not impressed after the long wait!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

So you have to buy additional adapters to make the crossmember work with certain trans another $40 on top the CM cost that makes it a bit costly and very universal. Atleast the other makers build them per trans app.no making them work with extra parts sorry to say i'm not impressed after the long wait!
Hey 6togo. I can understand the modular nature of the crossmember may not work for you or others, but there's a couple of points you should take into consideration when making a value judgment here.

1.)The design of the Hooker crossmember is the only one on the market that allows you to upgrade/change your transmission down the road without having to buy another complete crossmember. More than a few guys have done this as you can see on this and other forums.

2.) Both Iceman and G-Force charge extra for their frame extension kit just like it will be required with the Hooker crossmember. We can't see a reason to put those parts in the box for someone that does not need them and have to charge more for the base crossmember. (You may be one of the users that doesn't need it).

3.) The Summit(G-Force) crossmembers for the G-body application for the same transmissions range from $269.00 to $275.00 without the frame extension, which is another $50. This puts the Hooker crossmember basically in the same price range as the Summit/G-Force piece (which is not LS swap specific by the way).The Iceman crossmember is generally cheaper and if you can put together an eng./trans mounting and header combination that suits you better using it then I say do it. The Hooker G-body system of parts certainly won't satisfy everyone's requirements and wasn't designed to.

4.) let's say for the sake of discussion that the Hooker crossmember was $40 more expensive than any other crossmember out there (even though it's not)but allowed you to install your engine and transmission into your car using the Hooker engine mounts at a more optimized inclination angle than with any other components available, wouldn't that be worth 40 bucks in itself?
Now let's say the eng/trans positioning provide by those same components allowed you to take advantage of the better chassis/ground clearance afforded by using the Hooker headers, isn't that another worthwhile characteristic to invest 40 bucks in? I don't know if you see my point here, but the intent of the Hooker system of parts is to provide value in a complete solution that doesn't require you to swap out various components multiple times trying to find a combination of parts that compliments each other in performance, fitment and function.

Last edited by Toddoky; 11-21-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Well i will not be changing transmissions out and i have a 4L80E so i would need the added offset bracket which is $40 more on top the member and i dont need the frame extension that was not what i was refering too. You know i just want a part made for my car with a 4L80e trans and i'm not using Holley mounting parts mine are all custom which i can move anywhere it needs to be to provide the the best angle.
I dont care for the other mounts named either one is way to flimsy the other to heavy and basic but it fits to each trans app. so your CM ends up being almost $300 with the adapter the most expensive of all CM's out there and its still universal as i said.
Its not something for me i'm very picky about things and i will design my own CM that suits my needs best but your design is probably good for those guys wanting to keep it simple.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Well i will not be changing transmissions out and i have a 4L80E so i would need the added offset bracket which is $40 more on top the member and i dont need the frame extension that was not what i was refering too. You know i just want a part made for my car with a 4L80e trans and i'm not using Holley mounting parts mine are all custom which i can move anywhere it needs to be to provide the the best angle.
I dont care for the other mounts named either one is way to flimsy the other to heavy and basic but it fits to each trans app. so your CM ends up being almost $300 with the adapter the most expensive of all CM's out there and its still universal as i said.
Its not something for me i'm very picky about things and i will design my own CM that suits my needs best but your design is probably good for those guys wanting to keep it simple.
Given the extra info you provided about you project intentions I would not have recommended the Hooker crossmember to you since it is not designed to be used with custom engine mounts or any other type of mounts other that the Hooker brackets.

You are right, the Hooker crossmember when configured to install a 4L80e is $14.90 more than the Summit/G-Force 4L80e crossmember, which is justifiable in my opinion due to its LS specific nature and measurably lighter weight.

The Hooker crossmember is modular or configurable, but the "universal" tag you applied doesn't really apply as by definition it would mean for no specific transmission(s).

I applaud you for being focused on what it is exactly that you want for your project and wish you nothing but the best in sorting out the details to make it a reality. The Hooker G-body parts are really not intended for guys wanting to go the same route as you but instead want to use a fully engineered package of parts to assemble the car with a minimum amount of headaches or surprises along the way and end up with a vehicle that is optimized for functionality/performance.

Good luck to you in your endeavor.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

I have a good handle on what i'm doing so far just lots of time and money to get there plus plenty of fab work!
Hope these CM's sell well for you guys along with the other converson parts!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

any pics of the mid headers? i wonder if they will fit my 68-72 a body elcamino? i would go long tube but i know they are not designed for my chassis.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya I wasn't too. Happy about the cross member needing extras for a 4l80 installation because that's what most g body guys are using .I think I'm going to need both extra pieces because my cutlass has a 350 turbo with a lock up. but in the end I think the positives far out way the negatives in using this system .I will have my whole drive train and exhaust done in a weekend!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Will the 3" exhaust also be available in the "behind the tires" tailpipe config? I know for a lot of exhaust folks, the 3" was never offered like that. If so, I am definitely in...I may even change over my whole system to accommodate the Holley set-up.

Dave
Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Will the 3" exhaust also be available in the "behind the tires" tailpipe config? I know for a lot of exhaust folks, the 3" was never offered like that. If so, I am definitely in...I may even change over my whole system to accommodate the Holley set-up.

Dave
Yes Dave, the 2.5" and 3" systems will both be available in the side exit configuration.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rallystyle
any pics of the mid headers? i wonder if they will fit my 68-72 a body elcamino? i would go long tube but i know they are not designed for my chassis.
Hey rallystyle, I can say without a doubt that neither the mid-length or long-tube Hooker G-body headers will fit a 68-72 A-body car; I attempted to install both on a 1970 Chevelle we had in the shop earlier in the year and they were a mile off.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yes Dave, the 2.5" and 3" systems will both be available in the side exit configuration.
Thanks, last stupid question. I did some measuring this weekend (suitcase is currently out of my Cutlass) and just by eyeball with the 1" setbacks currently in there that there is NO WAY the suitcase will fit without some aggressive ginsu chopping...lol. I currently have a LS6 CTSV pan on her and it has twin drains for...twins. My question is, will the Hooker plates accommodate the CTSV pan (please say yes)?

Dave

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview