Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Here are the pictures you asked for. And with my exhaust, I think i could bring it up some if I just had it redone completely. We used just straight pipe off the collectors as a ''temp'' exhaust and that became my permanent exhaust when money well ran dry. So I think even though the headers hang down some, I could get the exhaust to get up more if I ran it more on the inside of the floor pan

The perspective there is perfect. Your passenger side header is definitely costing you the ability to maximize your ground clearance up front and your exhaust system just under the rear edge of the door is causing the greatest loss overall. The exhaust can definitely be massaged to get more clearance, so you'll gain some back in that area if you go ahead with a re-work in the future. I will post photos of the ground clearance of our Monte from a similar perspective next week for comparison so guys can get an idea of what can be achieved "out of the box" using the entire Hooker set-up. Every time a component is replaced or re-worked due to unsatisfactory installation results it needs to be added to the overall cost, difficulty and frustration level of the swap project. I've already corresponded with a couple of guys who have switched over to the Hooker components after having already done their swap with other components; it's great to see that, but I'd rather see them save money by using the Hooker system from the get-go. I still see threads of guys doing this swap and taking hammers to the floor/firewall and having to put the engine in five or six times to get it where they think it's right...it doesn't have to be so difficult. By the way, what size is your exhaust, 2.5" or 3"?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The perspective there is perfect. Your passenger side header is definitely costing you the ability to maximize your ground clearance up front and your exhaust system just under the rear edge of the door is causing the greatest loss overall. The exhaust can definitely be massaged to get more clearance, so you'll gain some back in that area if you go ahead with a re-work in the future. I will post photos of the ground clearance of our Monte from a similar perspective next week for comparison so guys can get an idea of what can be achieved "out of the box" using the entire Hooker set-up. Every time a component is replaced or re-worked due to unsatisfactory installation results it needs to be added to the overall cost, difficulty and frustration level of the swap project. I've already corresponded with a couple of guys who have switched over to the Hooker components after having already done their swap with other components; it's great to see that, but I'd rather see them save money by using the Hooker system from the get-go. I still see threads of guys doing this swap and taking hammers to the floor/firewall and having to put the engine in five or six times to get it where they think it's right...it doesn't have to be so difficult. By the way, what size is your exhaust, 2.5" or 3"?
3 inch exhaust. That doesn't exactly help me either. Haha. I did luck out with installing the engine just once. Kinda. Only thing we did was drop it in, see oil pan I used to have (ls1 pan ) did not fit over cradle enough, so we let the motor hang ever so slightly and reworked my motor mounts so they shifted the motor back more.

So I did luck out with not having to swap in the motor 4 or 5 times but if I did believe me I'd be like screw this ! Lol.

One good thing I do like about these headers are that I can remove them with everything in the car and install them When needed. Not sure of other not direct or even direct fit headers besides yours offer the same. But to me that is a big deal as well even if the so not tuck up as high as I'd like.

Depending on my money situation with getting my car fixed, I may be trying to rework off the header and see if I can get it tucked better.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetracer09

These 2 hoses in the picture are exactly what I need.
I used the C5 Corvette power steering hose for the pressure side. You can use regular hose for the return if you have the correct fitting for the steering box. However, I am using the C5 front drive system but I think it may still work for you.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
3 inch exhaust. That doesn't exactly help me either. Haha. I did luck out with installing the engine just once. Kinda. Only thing we did was drop it in, see oil pan I used to have (ls1 pan ) did not fit over cradle enough, so we let the motor hang ever so slightly and reworked my motor mounts so they shifted the motor back more.

So I did luck out with not having to swap in the motor 4 or 5 times but if I did believe me I'd be like screw this ! Lol.

One good thing I do like about these headers are that I can remove them with everything in the car and install them When needed. Not sure of other not direct or even direct fit headers besides yours offer the same. But to me that is a big deal as well even if the so not tuck up as high as I'd like.

Depending on my money situation with getting my car fixed, I may be trying to rework off the header and see if I can get it tucked better.

I've been meaning to get a side shot up for you of the Hooker 3" exhaust system on our Monte and walked out to the rear lot this morning to get this one of the passenger side. It's diagonally parked against a curb with a car on either side of it, so there was no way to get a clear shot from the driver side. You can get this ground clearance out-of-the-box on your first effort by using the complete Hooker set-up. It's also worth noting that a stamped X-style crossover is included in the build of the system and it provides the ability to run up to a 4" diameter driveshaft.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky

I've been meaning to get a side shot up for you of the Hooker 3" exhaust system on our Monte and walked out to the rear lot this morning to get this one of the passenger side. It's diagonally parked against a curb with a car on either side of it, so there was no way to get a clear shot from the driver side. You can get this ground clearance out-of-the-box on your first effort by using the complete Hooker set-up. It's also worth noting that a stamped X-style crossover is included in the build of the system and it provides the ability to run up to a 4" diameter driveshaft.

I think my problem (and yout can verify this if it's true ) is that my exhaust goes straight be from collectors and do not go inwards making my exhaust go under the lowest point of the floor. You can tell that as it goes back, my exhaust gets lower. So maybe that would help me out. But yours does tuck much better than mine.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

what are you guys using for a trans dipstick on a 4l80e?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40
Some people just use one from a truck and tweak it a little . Or you can use a lokar but they are kinda pricey. I bought one from summit for $40. It was a tight fit but works well
Old 04-08-2015, 06:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stock 4l80e transmission dipstick here with setback plates. No modding. Fits perfect.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

We used the stock dipstick/tube in our Monte Carlo SS project and I do believe we had to tweak it slightly.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does this look familiar?

Name:  image001_zpszciawome.png
Views: 948
Size:  159.4 KB

Part numbers 15791230 & 15832205. It looks like the dipstick comes up towards the center of the trans?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not the best picture but here is what I have. I believe (if it even makes a difference) I told my dad to get a dipstick for like a 04 2500 hd silverado. This is it with setback plates. I didn't have to do anything to the tube at all.

Name:  IMG_20140314_172209_004_zpslpkcihdi.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  116.1 KB
Old 04-08-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok so that one uses one of the bolts inboard on the trans......the one i had uses the second bolt hole above the starter, no chance of getting that to fit.

Name:  dipstick_zpst392yw5p.png
Views: 946
Size:  141.2 KB

this one look right?

Last edited by steve40; 04-08-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes. That does look like it.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

ok so that one uses one of the bolts inboard on the trans......the one i had uses the second bolt hole above the starter, no chance of getting that to fit.

this one look right?

That's a tube for a Duramax/Allison combo.

I used 15791230 & 15832205 with the Holley mounts on my swap, fits great.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good catch. I didn't see the 6.6l. My apologies.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the heads up there! i missed that too
Old 04-10-2015, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 4l80 dipstick

This is the one I used in my cutlass
Old 06-03-2015, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I haven't provided any updates on this thread in a while, so I thought I'd load some photos of the Holley Monte Carlo SS that depicts how it's been configured for involvement in Power Tour this year. What's been changed from its earlier state is the swap to a more retro looking TBI fuel injection/round air cleaner set-up and the installation of stainless steel versions of the long-tube Hooker headers and 3" exhaust system, which take the place of the mild steel pre-production parts that were on it previously. A NOS kit has also been installed in the last couple of days, but I have not taken any photos of it installed yet. Enjoy...

Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Looks really good. What intake and throttle body was used on the car?
Old 06-05-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
Looks really good. What intake and throttle body was used on the car?
The intake is a Holley LS single plane carburetor intake and the throttle body and ECU are the Holley Terminator set-up.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview