Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Or flip the assembly, or drill and tap a hole in the bottom, or run a flex line to a remote location... I am considering a lot of different options. But, I appreciate the advice.
Flipping the assembly didn't look like the answer, I would think it's to thin to drill and tap but I like the flex line and remote location.

Personally I like small and compact when possible.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Been running mine like this for a year or so . No issues
Old 01-02-2017, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

^...jimmyg for the win.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Agreed. The Holley guys did their homework and provide a good product for the G body guys.....In my opinion it's the best engineered system available hands down. My only complaints are: 1) The factory Z bar for the shifter to steering column interlock can't be used. The Lokar cable might be an option but that looks like a PITA to me 2) The oil pressure sender and or oil cooling lines are too close to the headers as noted above. I finally found a T fitting with the correct threads in England of all places. It allowed me to T the oil port behind the intake.
aeroflow makes the best adapter for this problem im tellin ya
part # af 166-05-02BLK
Old 01-02-2017, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Senna
Flipping the assembly didn't look like the answer, I would think it's to thin to drill and tap but I like the flex line and remote location.

Personally I like small and compact when possible.
look up aeroflow part number AF 166-05-02BLK its the best solution ive found
Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-BODY-JAMES
look up aeroflow part number AF 166-05-02BLK its the best solution ive found
Nice piece. Thanks
Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened with the short tube stainless headers?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HighLiner
What happened with the short tube stainless headers?
They will come to exist when that header application gets migrated over to the Hooker Blackheart line, which entails moving the production from our Mississippi facility to our Bowling Green, KY facility. We discussed these in a meeting this morning and I think it will take a month or two longer to see it happen as it's an operations issue.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Default th400 to crossmember pic

couldnt figure out how to pm you a pic toddoky so here it is
like i said im probably missing the poly mount arent I
haha
but if the poly mount was there like a th350 would i even need that aluminum block???
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview-th400-mount.jpg  
Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G-BODY-JAMES
couldnt figure out how to pm you a pic toddoky so here it is
like i said im probably missing the poly mount arent I
haha
but if the poly mount was there like a th350 would i even need that aluminum block???
PM sent
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Default New Holley low-mount A/C compressor bracket

I recently validated the fitment of the new Holley 4th-gen f-body style accessory drive set-up and low-mount Sanden A/C compressor bracket on a co-worker's G-body wagon and thought I'd let followers of this thread know they both fit great for anyone using the Hooker LS swap engine brackets on their G-body swap. The accessory drive can be installed only at the F-body and truck offsets; the A/C compressor bracket can be installed at those two offsets on this application, as well as the Corvette offset spacing on certain other applications.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I recently validated the fitment of the new Holley 4th-gen f-body style accessory drive set-up and low-mount Sanden A/C compressor bracket on a co-worker's G-body wagon and thought I'd let followers of this thread know they both fit great for anyone using the Hooker LS swap engine brackets on their G-body swap. The accessory drive can be installed only at the F-body and truck offsets; the A/C compressor bracket can be installed at those two offsets on this application, as well as the Corvette offset spacing on certain other applications.
low mount a/c compressor is great news for twin turbo hopefuls! one question: i know you said earlier in the thread that the only accessories that will clear a 670 series steering gear were the truck accessories. does the f-body 4th gen vs 5th gen spacing make any difference in the clearance?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I can't make an absolute judgement on the fitment of this new FEAD with the 600 series box at this time (didn't have one to test during this opportunity), but I'm going to assume that the same previous exclusion of the OE 4th-gen FEAD with the 600 box applies here as the position of the alternator on the Holley set-up is in exactly the same spot as the OE 4th-gen alternator.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I can't make an absolute judgement on the fitment of this new FEAD with the 600 series box at this time (didn't have one to test during this opportunity), but I'm going to assume that the same previous exclusion of the OE 4th-gen FEAD with the 600 box applies here as the position of the alternator on the Holley set-up is in exactly the same spot as the OE 4th-gen alternator.
ah, i see. so, since the 5th gen f-body setup is at the truck spacing, i'm assuming clearance is even less. correct?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WFO_SS
ah, i see. so, since the 5th gen f-body setup is at the truck spacing, i'm assuming clearance is even less. correct?
I've never done any test fitting of 5th-gen F-body specific accessory drive components, but you would be correct in thinking that the interference with this new Holley FEAD would be worse on a G-body if installation was attempted at the truck offset instead of the F-body spacing.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

I scoured the thread and was looking for some feedback on the starter fitment with 1.875" headers. Driver's side fit beautifully and while the passenger side header fits very well also, I am noticing that starter clearance particularly in the area of the wiring harness and typical routing is not great. Has anyone else experienced this issue with a PSI conversion harness? It appears I am pinching the starter wiring against the block with one of the primary tubes so I will most likely have to go over the engine, down the front and under the engine mount along the pan to get to the starter.

Definitely not the end of the world, just wondering how folks routed their wiring in the area of the starter. I have a high torque mini starter for LS and one of the primary tubes lines right up with the wiring...appears to be less than an inch from the primary positive terminal.

Thoughts?
Dave
Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BanditDave
I scoured the thread and was looking for some feedback on the starter fitment with 1.875" headers. Driver's side fit beautifully and while the passenger side header fits very well also, I am noticing that starter clearance particularly in the area of the wiring harness and typical routing is not great. Has anyone else experienced this issue with a PSI conversion harness? It appears I am pinching the starter wiring against the block with one of the primary tubes so I will most likely have to go over the engine, down the front and under the engine mount along the pan to get to the starter.

Definitely not the end of the world, just wondering how folks routed their wiring in the area of the starter. I have a high torque mini starter for LS and one of the primary tubes lines right up with the wiring...appears to be less than an inch from the primary positive terminal.

Thoughts?
Dave
Hello Dave. Is your starter clockable, or fixed? The only aftermarket starter I test for fitment is the one from MSD since it can be clocked.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Hi Toddoky,

I am pretty sure it is clockable. Where it is getting pinched is between the block and header tube. Being able to clock it over, though, will definitely help with running it towards the front...should be able to buy myself at least another 1/2" or so then wrap it in DEI material.

I will check and report back. Will also post some pics of the current situation.

Best,
Dave
Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDave
I will have to look.

I just did the final install on our starter this past weekend. Also being a G-body this is sort of relevant. I ran the factory purple exciter wire along the fire wall below the drip tray/wipers and dropped it before the HVAC box, it then snakes along the trans dip stick tube and along the block between the starter solenoid and the block. The main power wire for the starter (this is a 4th Gen F-body battery/starter/alt harness) is run back along the frame and over the motor mount to the starter solenoid. I made a heat shield for the starter solenoid and wiring, and all of the wiring is loomed and tied back/down. I am using a factory 4th Gen starter.

I did not have any immediate interference issues installing the headers and loosely setting them in place; but I have yet torque them down. I can try to find some time to work on that tonight.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

The Holley MCSS happened to be on a lift in the engineering lab this morning so I took a look at the starter and the wiring at the solenoid. The lab tech who finished off the project routed all the wires through a section of silicone hose to protect them and the car has been driven without any issues for about 2 years now.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview