Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we've got fire!! lol

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

I think there needs to be a Texas LSx Porsche swap meetup.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OEMTim
I think there needs to be a Texas LSx Porsche swap meetup.
That would be cool, we would have to schedule it with the porsche clubs! If their in person reactions are as funny as their online ones!! lol!

On a side note, do any of you running and driving swapped 911 owners have any tips/tricks to re-filling/bleeding the cooling system?
-did you vacuum fill it?
-did you elevate the rear of the car so the coolant would go all the way up to the radiators?

I'm going to try the elevate the rear thing tonight and i'll report back, otherwise the only other thing i can try is the vacuum fill, but i'd rather not spend the money.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by txstormtrooper
That would be cool, we would have to schedule it with the porsche clubs! If their in person reactions are as funny as their online ones!! lol!

On a side note, do any of you running and driving swapped 911 owners have any tips/tricks to re-filling/bleeding the cooling system?
-did you vacuum fill it?
-did you elevate the rear of the car so the coolant would go all the way up to the radiators?

I'm going to try the elevate the rear thing tonight and i'll report back, otherwise the only other thing i can try is the vacuum fill, but i'd rather not spend the money.
I'm sure you get the same responses sometimes, but I've had people cuss at me for it. It's amazing. I built the car for me, not them!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm, cut coils and blown out struts vs some Bilstein Pss9 coilovers!!! And i thought it handled swesome before! lol

Coils cranked all the way down!! Squattin!!

Here is a before the coilover swap pic, Porsche sat a little too high after the "heavy american boat anchor" was put in! lol

Last edited by txstormtrooper; 08-26-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

This is so awesome
Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Default Air Box?

I just browsed your thread and it's cool...

I'm 75% done with my 996/LS1 conversion and used the KEP adapter setup, stealth pump, corvette filter/reg, stock water pump...

I'm struggling with the air box area as there is such limited room and the turn is so sharp to run a K&N pod off to the side...what is your solution?

Also, what radiator bottle is that?...I'm currently using a thunderchicken (tbird) from the mid 90's..

Bought a vacuum system to burp as I've been having a little struggle whenever I have to add air to the system.

Mark - Mobile, AL
Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Radical44
I just browsed your thread and it's cool...

I'm 75% done with my 996/LS1 conversion and used the KEP adapter setup, stealth pump, corvette filter/reg, stock water pump...

I'm struggling with the air box area as there is such limited room and the turn is so sharp to run a K&N pod off to the side...what is your solution?

Also, what radiator bottle is that?...I'm currently using a thunderchicken (tbird) from the mid 90's..

Bought a vacuum system to burp as I've been having a little struggle whenever I have to add air to the system.

Mark - Mobile, AL
Mark, i'm just running a 90 elbow that i cut/shortened for a tighter radius and put a PVC pipe to connect the elbow to the K&N. I also stuck the IAT sensor in the PVC portion of the intake. I trimmed the lid and it shuts flush, the filter tucks right into the passenger side of the engine compartment I havent been able to mess with the coolant fill again yet, but i'm going to lift the rear way up and hopefully get by without having to buy the vacuum fill unit.

The radiator tank is stock, the aluminum can is just an oil/breather catch can.

Here's a pic, i'll get some better ones and post them up.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
lookin' gooood!

burnout vids or the whole project never happened

( word of advice : always keep a fire extinguisher with you )
x2 sweet build, would be great to see some more vids
Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
x2 sweet build, would be great to see some more vids
Once i get this M***** F******!!!!!!! coolant system bled!!!! I tried to jack the car up and down but its still heating up. I'm going to have to order a vacuum fill system. Time to

Maybe this will hold you over on the vids.......a little catalytic converter to open air action!! lol

Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

You are filling it up from the top hose yes?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
You are filling it up from the top hose yes?
Yup, i unhook the top hose and pour the coolant down one side till its full then pour it down the otherside till its full. I think there is too many ups and downs on the way to the radiators and back to simply pour in the coolant. I just ordered a vacuum fill kit, hopefully that does the trick!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Launching!

I was running a 185 stat & kept having issues with getting too hot 210 +

So I finally got sick of Fing with it & drilled a couple small holes in that stat & it has never had a issue since. It runs 200 all day long with the ac on & sitting in traffic.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

after another go at it today and some more researching online i might have the hoses routed incorrectly! I'm going to check this out in the morning, if this is the problem i'll be happy but also mad!!

today i got the car warmed up and it was tipping 210 on the gauge so i cut it off. Go to the front of the car and the radiators are cool to the touch. There is no flow to the radiators, i'm sure of it.

Its not the t-stat bc i gutted that thing out long ago! lol. Wont be a problem in the Houston summer 100+ heat, i'll replace with a proper tstat later on.

Its got to be my hoses routed wrong...ie: tstat housing probably going to the top of the radiators and the outlet at the top of the waterpump is probably going to the bottom of the radiators.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

reinstall tstat, drill 2 1/8" holes in the thermostat. make sure none of your hoses are kinked, then pressure fill the system with a cheap pump up sprayer for your lawn. simple, easy peasy. yes I have done it. 5th Porsche lsx swap completed, 2 more to go.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cobalt964
reinstall tstat, drill 2 1/8" holes in the thermostat. make sure none of your hoses are kinked, then pressure fill the system with a cheap pump up sprayer for your lawn. simple, easy peasy. yes I have done it. 5th Porsche lsx swap completed, 2 more to go.
thats the plan....already bought a vacuum fill off fleabay though, so when that comes in i'll fill'er up! I'll go back over my hose routing and make sure theres no kinks......man this is the hardest part of the swap soo far!!! lol
Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can get them from home depot for 23.00 its a hand pump pressure sprayer for your lawn or weeds or bug spray whatever you want to use it on. fill your coolant system the regular way, then when full make a rubber stopper or equivalent that fits tightly in the neck of your radiator or fill neck, put a hole in the middle that this pumps wand can barely push thru, fill the sprayer with antifreeze and start pumping it up. it will help if you have a bleed port or a overflow bottle that it can bleed into.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cobalt964
you can get them from home depot for 23.00 its a hand pump pressure sprayer for your lawn or weeds or bug spray whatever you want to use it on. fill your coolant system the regular way, then when full make a rubber stopper or equivalent that fits tightly in the neck of your radiator or fill neck, put a hole in the middle that this pumps wand can barely push thru, fill the sprayer with antifreeze and start pumping it up. it will help if you have a bleed port or a overflow bottle that it can bleed into.
thanks for the tip cobalt unfortunately it still boiled out! Good news is that my vacuum fill kit came in, bad news is that the system will not hold a vacuum! I have a sneaking suspicion that my steam lines are routed wrong, so i re-routed them and re siliconed the fittings. I'm yet to re-try the vacuum fill, and because of work i wont be able to tinker with it till next weekend!!

Here's my new setup:
red circle- Open vent, only used to bleed system, valve stays closed under normal operation.
blue circle- radiator overflow from tops of both radiators, i also t'd my steam ports into this.
yellow circle-expansion tank outlet goes to the heater outlets of the waterpump which have been t'd together.

If the vacuum fill fails i'll try to reverse fill the system through the radiator overflow tube with the pressurized system (weed sprayer) i got from home depot.

Here is a pic of my vacuum fill setup:

Old 09-09-2014, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Awesome setup!

Quick Reply: Another Porsche swap!! 911 996 w/ ls6 v8