Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 even worth swapping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR4 even worth swapping?

I'm looking at V8 swapping my 240sx and was wondering if the LR4 would even be worth doing.

It's the cheapest of the flavors of LS motors, but does it make any sort of power worth mentioning? I was thinking of turning this into quite the project and fabricating up a turbo set up for it. Do they make decent power with boost? I'd assume you could get it going pretty well with the cast iron block.

Or would I just be better off swapping an LQ4 and calling it a day? I'm not really interested in squeezing every last horsepower out of it, so I'd probably stick with stock heads and cam

Either set up could be run off the same ECU, harness, T56 trans, flywheel/clutch, etc correct?

Also, where would I even find the motor set up? I've heard to stay away from ebay. That really only leaves local junkyards and craigslist right?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

We have a conversions section where you'll find the most help with your conversion project: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The lr4 is worth swapping just slightly less power than a 5.3l. However when I was looking I was always able to find 5.3l motors for about the same cost so why bother with the smaller motor if it is not saving any money. Both the 4.8 and 5.3l turbo very well so if that is the plan the extra cubes of the 5.3 don't really matter.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by real31
I'm looking at V8 swapping my 240sx and was wondering if the LR4 would even be worth doing.

It's the cheapest of the flavors of LS motors, but does it make any sort of power worth mentioning? I was thinking of turning this into quite the project and fabricating up a turbo set up for it. Do they make decent power with boost? I'd assume you could get it going pretty well with the cast iron block.

Or would I just be better off swapping an LQ4 and calling it a day? I'm not really interested in squeezing every last horsepower out of it, so I'd probably stick with stock heads and cam

Either set up could be run off the same ECU, harness, T56 trans, flywheel/clutch, etc correct?

Also, where would I even find the motor set up? I've heard to stay away from ebay. That really only leaves local junkyards and craigslist right?
Ebay worked great for me. Twice. Just buy from reputable sellers. Got both of mine on Ebay from sellers LKQ and Bow auto in NH.

Quick Reply: LR4 even worth swapping?