Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any clean LSX with truck intake swaps? Also some swap ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any clean LSX with truck intake swaps? Also some swap ?'s

Hey Guys! Been a little while since I've been around the LSX scene, but I'll probably needing to ask a few questions about my upcoming swap.

First of all, I cant seem to find nice "clean" 5.3-6.0 swaps with the truck intake in a passenger car. I know the intake is hideous from the git-go, but can anyone post some pics in this thread of some nicely appearing installs using the truck intake?? (I'm more of a low end torque guy, plus I'll be doing this swap on a budget)

Secondly.....
Here's what I'm working with. I bought a 1979 el-camino, that a kid had tried to put a 5.3L with 4L60E in. It runs, but does not move, looks as if the kid tried hard, but wasn't able to fully complete the project. The harness is a nightmare so I will be making my own from a Junkyard harness. I the bought whole car cheap, and the 5.3 has a truck intake with all accessories. I will be putting this combo in my 1963 Bel Air.

Motor parts list:
2002 6.0L Computer
2005 Intake (Throttle Cable)
2006 5.3 Long Block

In current form, the motor does not have a MAF sensor, and upon looking at some photos and reading some installs, it looks as it may possibly not be required...... Can anyone clear this up for me???

Also, are my components compatible? He put the 2005 intake on the truck, so that It was throttle by cable, and I'm not sure if this would cause any issues with a 2002 comp.

Any help is surely appreciated!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSx Truck Intake Shave - Plastic Welding - 5.3 6.…:

Check out AGearHead4Life lsx truck swap. Real clean with a smoothed and painted intake. Maybe he can chime in here.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Here's a really nice Nova with a truck intake and a turbo...

Not mine... but I'm doing something really similar with my truck intake right now...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...2-nova-45.html

Check out the rest of his build if you want to feel inadequate as a car builder.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

My buddy's '59 wagon. I think it looks pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Any clean LSX with truck intake swaps? Also some swap ?'s-20130420_180228.jpg   Any clean LSX with truck intake swaps? Also some swap ?'s-20130420_180200.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a thread here on people doing smooth truck intakes, search for smooth intakes. Many have posted pictures in the thread.

All of the parts you have should work with the PCM you have, but recommend you have someone check the tune and make any adjustments that might be needed... maybe the VATS ?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Oh you guys are awesome! Thank you!

I'm not planning on shaving the intake to the extent of having to plastic weld, But I think im going to be trying shave the excess support stuff on the top off. For some reason, all the pics I can find with truck motors, are very dirty, and look somewhat thrown together, I was wanting to make sure it wasn't just the intake that was causing the problem.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can toss the MAF if you have someone do a "speed density" tune on it. This type of tune doesn't require MAF, relies on temp, TPS, MAP and O2 sensors.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
You can toss the MAF if you have someone do a "speed density" tune on it. This type of tune doesn't require MAF, relies on temp, TPS, MAP and O2 sensors.
It's been too long...... lol, What would be the benefit for making it a speed density vs MAF. I don't mind the MAF, as long as i'm not having to replace it all the time, but I will be throwing in a moderate camshaft so i'll be needing to get a tune anyway, so should I just change over?

Quick Reply: Any clean LSX with truck intake swaps? Also some swap ?'s