Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Harness,Silverado to Trailblazer Dash Cluster???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Harness,Silverado to Trailblazer Dash Cluster???

Hi Guys,
I am getting ready to do a build on a '53 GMC.I am using the running gear wiring and computers out of a running 2006 Silverado,6.0(LQ4) and 4L80e tranny.I'm going to spend a lot of time and miles in this truck.I am going to build a custom dash,cobbling parts that are old and new.I am interested in using a Trailblazer cluster,maybe some heat vents,maybe the whole heat and AC package.The trailblazer cluster is smallish and will fit the narrow dimension of the '53 better than a 2006 cluster would,if I were to build around that.

My question is,will the Trailblazer cluster(2003ish) work on the Silverado harness?I'm undecided which column I want to use,either the full size 2006 column or find a trailblazer column around the same year,no air bag.Which of this stuff can be mixed and matched?I realize I will either have to live with warnings(airbag,etc) or defeat these warnings somehow.

Thank you for the help!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry guys,I know I have some more homework to do on this one!

I might be throwing y'all off by mentioning the '53 GMC...all I am using off it is cab and sheetmetal.The rest is all 2006 silverado-frame/motor/transmission/running gear/etc.

The old truck cab is narrow,and I want to totally re-fab the dash.Will probably be cutting,welding and grinding something to give it a vintage/resto/modern look.

One option would be to just take an entire dash out of a trailblazer,the cab width is close,and cut out Old Truck dash and fabricate sub-dash to mount trailblazer dash to,in it's entirety.Let's go with this for now.And yes,I would have to cut that dash down at the windshield flange to get it to work.

So,I guess the question is...which way would I go with harness and computer to get the trailblazer gauges,heat switches,etc. to work and still be able to run the 6.0 LQ4 and 4L80e and the towing selector button on the stalk.And how do I handle eliminating warnings for airbag and whatever dashboard warnings I get on the cluster?And which steering column would I go with?Silverado or trailblazer?

I can't blame anyone who has a tough time following this,lol!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a lot of knowledge on this specific subject, but from the reading that I've done, a lot of vehicles have BCMs (body control modules?) in addition to the ECUs & TCMs. It seems to me that your best bet would be to start with a running, complete truck & transfer everything possible over to the '53 shell (which it sounds like you're doing).

My 'best guess' on the dash/cluster question is this:

If you stay within a year or so between the engine/transmission and the Trailblazer cluster, I'd guess that you'd have a decent chance of having them work together. (Personal note - when I was working on my swap, I knew that I needed a DBW pedal, but had no idea what would work. I spent a bit of time with a local GM service writer who helped me compare inputs/outputs, etc. & I decided to take a chance on the same-year Corvette pedal as my engine. These days, the 'Vette pedal is a fairly common option in swaps, but 'not so much' when I was looking at what would work... I just guessed that GM would try to simplify wherever they could, & use common configurations - you might be able to take advantage of the same principle.)

In all honesty, if you've found that the '03 dash setup works best in your truck, it might be easier to swap your existing engine/transmission for an '03 setup, OR to retrofit your existing engine... (Not sure on that, just throwing out options for you to think about.)

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Teching In

I havent looked at the plug layout for the trailblazer, but I think most of its info is recieved via the data line.

Im doing something similar to what you are in my s10... Using C5 pcm, and a 2002 s10 cluster, because it is small. I powered up the s10 cluster, got abs warning and a few other idiot lights. Most of the info displayed, like hi beam, parking brake, etc are coming from the BCM on the data line. The blinkers have there own 12v inputs, as well as the oil pressure sending unit. I plan on just pulling the bulbs out on the idiot lights I dont want to see, and just hardwiring a new plug to connect my hi beam indicator and park brake indicator and any other lights I will want to function. Im not running a BCM at all.

I think you can plug a TB cluster in to a Silverado and it will work. If I were you, I would look into running all Silverado electronics with the TB cluster... Seems like the silverado stuff is more availiable.. I think the columns from the 2 are pretty similar, electrically. I believe they both use the same type of Passlock setup etc... Oh yeah, most TBs are floor shift.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness,Silverado to Trailblazer Dash Cluster???