Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E38, LSA, 6L90 or E67, LSA, 6L90 ?

Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E38, LSA, 6L90 or E67, LSA, 6L90 ?

Hi

Putting an LSA into a Range Rover Classic with a 6L90 with tu/td shifting and no BCM.

We want to run the E67 ECM however the easy way it seems is to run the E38.However easy is not always right.

There is very little info online regarding this.

My questions are:

1. What performance or reliability losses are there with running the E38 over the E67 on an LSA
2. What specifically can the E38 not do that the E67 can when used on an LSA?
3. Why do people run the E38 when the E67 is what GM intended to run the LSA?

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by blackrangie; 07-13-2014 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

My guess is that locating an E38 Ecm and a basic Gen 4 Harness might be less expensive and easier to find than the E67 parts.

Last fall I modified a 2013 CTS-V LSA harness for Standalone use that a customer was going to install in a 68 Cutlass. From memory the extra stuff the E67 handled over a basic E38 was:

Barometric Pressure Sensor (in addition to MAP)
Supercharger Air Inlet Pressure
Supercharger Bypass Valve
CPP (an actual potentiometer not an on/off switch)
BPP (an actual potentiometer not an on/off switch)
(Qty 2) Intake Air Temp Sensors (Induction and Manifold)
Intercooler Pump Control

I probably missed something in the list above but you get the idea.

As far as Tap Shift goes it was handled in the BCM and the trans receives commands via the CAN bus. There are no wires that you can tap into on the ECM or the harness to the trans and hook up switches. However, there is an aftermarket controller available to do this without the BCM.

Regards,

Last edited by Docked Wage; 07-16-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

To address the reliability with an E38 question, you could probably set it up and run it for a very long time. I setup the wiring and ECM on a 6.0 with a Magnuson 2300 Supercharger and it performs perfectly. I believe the main issue for reliability is having Knock Sensors which the E38 has. All of the other stuff listed above is merely nice to have in a swap scenario.

While all of the additional sensors on the E67 do serve a purpose, keep in mind that GM had to over protect the engine because they have the initial warranty period. Basically they have to make sure that if any lunatic gets behind the wheel that it will live for at least 36,000 miles of the abuse.

With proper tuning and a conscientious driver, there is no major reason that I can think of not to use an E38.

Regards,
Old 01-25-2020, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackrangie
Hi

Putting an LSA into a Range Rover Classic with a 6L90 with tu/td shifting and no BCM.

We want to run the E67 ECM however the easy way it seems is to run the E38.However easy is not always right.

There is very little info online regarding this.

My questions are:

1. What performance or reliability losses are there with running the E38 over the E67 on an LSA
2. What specifically can the E38 not do that the E67 can when used on an LSA?
3. Why do people run the E38 when the E67 is what GM intended to run the LSA?

Any help would be much appreciated
Did you get this project completed using the LSA/6L90/E67 with full use of TUTD for the 6L90? Can you share your experience or programmer that you used to complete the task? We have the same setup in a restomod project that we need to complete.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by buck19
Did you get this project completed using the LSA/6L90/E67 with full use of TUTD for the 6L90? Can you share your experience or programmer that you used to complete the task? We have the same setup in a restomod project that we need to complete.
Blackrangie hasn't been here since 2014.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E38, LSA, 6L90 or E67, LSA, 6L90 ?