Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodged a bullet, well at least the valve didn't drop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dodged a bullet, well at least the valve didn't drop.

Had a rough running engine and couldn't figure it out. Lots of spark but the plug was wet. So yanked off the valve cover and found my issue. Sure could have been a lot worse. Now just have to get the bolt out of the head.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Could have been much worse.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Sure hope that I can be that lucky/fortunate when I get the GTA on the road!!

(BTW, here's to locks/retainers that do their job the way they should!)
Old 07-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Launching!

O.K. the head had to come off, a easy out wasn't doing anything productive, so off to a machine shop so they can get it done. Brings up a couple questions. I don't have the stock rockers etc. for this engine. I bought it with the mods done. I have a set of rockers and pushrods from a 6.0 truck engine. I can also get a set of rockers and pushrods from a 2000 Z-28 5.7 engine. What would anybody recommend? I would go with the trunion upgrade for the rockers, the pushrods I have on my engine are Trick Flow 4130 chromoly .080. So would I have to change them if I go back to factory rockers?, I would need to buy 2 new pushrods as they are bent if I keep using then. Kind of getting lost in this engine. Looking for some input.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Teching In

You would need to re-measure for pushrods if you went back to a stock pedestal mounted setup. A new set of chromoly 5/16 pushrods is only around $100 depending on where you get them. Brian Tooley Racing has all of the incremental sizes for $94 per set.

The ones you have may be correct length, but I would measure again to be certain if you change rocker setups.

Comp cams sells an adjustable pushrod measuring tool for around $20.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since those TFS heads have bronze guides you'll need to retain some type of roller tip rocker arms.

Stock rocker should only be used with powdered metal guides which resist wear with the side loading that the stock rockers impart.

TFS heads can be ordered with PM guides from TEA.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flipt86
You would need to re-measure for pushrods if you went back to a stock pedestal mounted setup. A new set of chromoly 5/16 pushrods is only around $100 depending on where you get them. Brian Tooley Racing has all of the incremental sizes for $94 per set.

The ones you have may be correct length, but I would measure again to be certain if you change rocker setups.

Comp cams sells an adjustable pushrod measuring tool for around $20.
Since those TFS heads have bronze guides you'll need to retain some type of roller tip rocker arms.

Stock rocker should only be used with powdered metal guides which resist wear with the side loading that the stock rockers impart.

TFS heads can be ordered with PM guides from TEA.

Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll get a couple or Harland Sharp rockers, and a set of new pushrods and put it back to the way it is and hope it doesn't happen again.

Quick Reply: Dodged a bullet, well at least the valve didn't drop.