Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap

I have a 98 gmc Sierra that I decided to do a 5.3 swap with. I got the motor, harness, and pcm out of an 03 Tahoe. I have access to alldata so it's been fairly simple to obtain diagrams for everything I need. I got all the wiring I need done, except for the throttle body.
Being at I got it out of an 03, it was drive by wire. I was planning on running a drive by cable set up, obviously I have the pedal and cable on that truck, and I got a cable driven throttle body. When I finally figured out that I had gotten a dbw harness, I looked at the schematics for it, and I can't just replace the single connector with connectors with one's for the tps and iac.
What's the course of action I should take for this issue to run drive by cable?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think you already have the answer-get the connectors you need,repin the wires needed to the pcm,eliminate the wires you don't need.BTW you will likely need another pcm,the one you have likely does not have the driver for DBC.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
I think you already have the answer-get the connectors you need,repin the wires needed to the pcm,eliminate the wires you don't need.BTW you will likely need another pcm,the one you have likely does not have the driver for DBC.
I had check out pin placement on both a pcm with drive by wire and one with drive by cable, being different year models, the connectors are the same, but pin placement is completely different, and they each have stuff that the other doesn't and vise versa. So with that, would I be able to get a computer for drive by cable and change pin placement on the connectors to the best of my ability, or am I going to have to get a harness to match?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Teching In

there's a lot of info about this here http://lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap