Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote oil filter connections

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remote oil filter connections

Im putting together an awd s10 using the milodon pan "designed" for my setup. After getting the engine centered and level, the front outlet on the pan is too close to the front diff IMO. There's about an 1/8' between the diff and the fitting. I feel like when the engine torques, the hose end will smash into the diff. I've already trimmed off that section of the diff and recessed the bolts to maximise space.

I can get an Earl's adaper that goes in the front oil gallery plug on the drivers side of the block, instead of using the front outlet on the pan. The earls adapter goes down to -6, where the pan is a -10! I already intended to go down to -8 from the -10 outlets on the pan...

Is -6 too small for an oil line???

If -6 is ok, should i do all -6, or would it be ok to have -6 going to the inlet of the remote filter, and -8 feeding back to the block, which is the rear fitting on the pan, which has plenty of room...
Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think -6 is way too small for oil lines at the filter. I'd have thought -10 was too small too.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-10 is as small as I'd ever consider. Hell, I'm still trying to figure how you're gonna get a wrench in there, looks like a nightmare!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

can you drill in to the oil galleys from another direction? Or use a different diff? Or offset the engine trans to one side?

presently, this seems destined for oil pressure failure.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Concur that -6 is way too small. -8 is marginal; I've seen it used, but I would recommend -10 everywhere.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
-10 is as small as I'd ever consider. Hell, I'm still trying to figure how you're gonna get a wrench in there, looks like a nightmare!
Yeah, its pretty tight. I will be lifting the engine out to put the lines on... When ever I decide what route to go

Originally Posted by DW SD
can you drill in to the oil galleys from another direction? Or use a different diff? Or offset the engine trans to one side?

presently, this seems destined for oil pressure failure.
As for the diff, its pretty much my only reasonably priced option for my setup. Ive already lowered it about a 1/4 inch, which is as low as I could take it without getting real crazy. I want the truck to sit fairly low too.
I had the engine offset a little more to the opposite side, but it ran my header into the shock tower, which I dont want to cut into, or beat on my header, and I really like the engine being centered.

Ive measured the galleys in the block being around 11/16" diameter. The in/out on the pan rails are a smige over 1/2". I think I would be ok with -8, but would really rather use -10. My filter adapter uses 3/8 npt in/out.

I think Im gonna hit up my local hot rod shop to make me some -10 hard lines to come off of the pan, then tap those with -10 an line. I think just a hard line with a line nut will leave a little more room between it and the diff...

Or I also thought about a -10 180*full flow hose end... Should give me the same clearance a hard line and line nut would. Plus I like the idea of the lines coming up rather than running down toward the ground... But those ends are like $30 a pop!

Orrr, I could cut up a truck pan, fit some aluminum pieces to fill the hole, and find someone to weld her up for me... Ive already spent around $600 on the milodon pan, remote filter adapter, -8 an hose and fittings though!!!

I forgot to mention the headers, motor mounts and pan are all "supposed" to work together!

Quick Reply: Remote oil filter connections