Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace metal power steering lines with steel braided?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default replace metal power steering lines with steel braided?

Need some advice. I bought an Incon TT kit but it didn't come with the replacement rack/pinion power steering lines. Would it be ok to replace those with steel braided line or will my steering be mushy? In the picture I need these to come straight down, this is where the intake pipe for the turbo comes thru where it is circled. Any advice is appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails replace metal power steering lines with steel braided?-powersteering3.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't use ordinary rubber line with the steel braiding for power steering (like high pressure fuel line). You must use teflon lines with the steel braids, or have a place make you the proper "rubber" lines (like a big rig truck repair place).

Even high pressure fuel lines are nowhere near strong enough for power steering hoses.

For the return side, you don't need a high pressure line.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by silversweetZ
Need some advice. I bought an Incon TT kit but it didn't come with the replacement rack/pinion power steering lines. Would it be ok to replace those with steel braided line or will my steering be mushy? In the picture I need these to come straight down, this is where the intake pipe for the turbo comes thru where it is circled. Any advice is appreciated!!
Why not bend some new hardline in the shape that you need? That's what I would do.

Andrew
Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You need specialty fittings too. They are not NPT there, but I believe have an o-ring on the end which seals in the bottom of the bore.
BTW - aeroquip and others do sell hose and ends for high pressure power steering. I bought some recently for my hydroboost install, which works off of power steering pump and is inline before the steering rack itself. They sell cloth braided line with a very heavy wall and special fittings which you can assemble yourself. They are AN thread and 37 degree sealing surface. It is possible perhaps you can buy an adapter with the oring seal on the rack and a -6 on the other. Then you can build your own soft lines. Earls and Aeroquip and other major hose brands sell the high pressure compatible lines. They don't have to be teflon lined and braided stainless.

Doug
The following users liked this post:
Mike Avila (07-11-2022)
Old 07-24-2014, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the fitting companies offer the required adapter fittings. Depending on the steering box and pump they will be inverted flare or metric "O"ring. The pressure side must be teflex the return can be regular braided hose.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those circled fittings and their hard lines always come with the rack, you got screwed...
Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

These are the power steering compatible hoses from earls. http://www.bakerprecision.com/earls6.htm

Here are aeroquip. Basically the same thing. Ends are an steel not AL M
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aeroqu...Per-Ft,58.html
Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

DW, you have single handily saved my build. Exactly what I was looking for. Even hose ends into the rack! I appreciate you sir!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

DW, you have single handily saved my build. Exactly what I was looking for. Even hose ends into the rack! I appreciate you sir!!!
Ummm...none of those hose ends will fit directly into your rack. You need o-ring to AN (JIC) adapters....then you can take it from there...

In other words, those hard lines aren't AN from the factory...

Andrew
Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found the 14mmX1.5 power steering adapter but I would like to find the inverted flare similar to what already screws into the rack if possible. But I appreciate the help in locating what I couldn't find!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I found the 14mmX1.5 power steering adapter but I would like to find the inverted flare similar to what already screws into the rack if possible. But I appreciate the help in locating what I couldn't find!
Just use the adapters that you found (earl's makes some too) and then go with the flex line. I like going to the local hydraulic hose makes and having my power steering hose made by them....I bet there is one in a town near you...

Andrew
Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Our local Oreilly's does. I actually never checked them. BTW, the connection on the passenger side of the rack, any idea what size they are?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Our local Oreilly's does. I actually never checked them. BTW, the connection on the passenger side of the rack, any idea what size they are?
Aren't they both the same?

Andrew
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think so, I tried a -6 and a -4 but I think its in the middle, maybe 7/16 or 3/8 JIC?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think so, I tried a -6 and a -4 but I think its in the middle, maybe 7/16 or 3/8 JIC?
I think we are talking about different things...

The fittings that go into your rack are OEM o-ring style fittings. You need to obtain adapters that go from the o-ring fittings to AN (JIC). You said that one of the was 14mmx1.5...

So you need to get 14mmx1.5 o-ring to AN-6 adapters. Then you can make any style of hose that you want using the appropriate style hose and AN-6 (JIC) fittings...

Does that make sense?

Andrew
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I think we are talking about different things...

The fittings that go into your rack are OEM o-ring style fittings. You need to obtain adapters that go from the o-ring fittings to AN (JIC). You said that one of the was 14mmx1.5...

So you need to get 14mmx1.5 o-ring to AN-6 adapters. Then you can make any style of hose that you want using the appropriate style hose and AN-6 (JIC) fittings...

Does that make sense?

Andrew
I'm with you, nothing in this thread is making sense. The OP clearly circled the factory hard lines that come with the rack when it's purchased. Prolly SOL finding these lines, might be best to turn that rack in for one that's complete. Unless he drew the circle in the wrong place...
Old 07-26-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, let me explain it more thorough. I have an Incon twin turbo kit. With this kit you have to relocate the stainless steel power steering lines on the rack to accommodate the inlet pipe for the turbo (refer to photo). Every time I try to ask questions on this everyone thinks I'm talking about the rubber/steel lines from the power steering reservoir to the rack. I know where the inverted lines that screw into the rack are 14mm x 1.5. I'm asking if anyone knows what the other end size is. It's not a -6 or -4 its some off the wall 7/16 or 3/8 JIC. Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails replace metal power steering lines with steel braided?-powersteering2.jpg   replace metal power steering lines with steel braided?-tt-charge.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

The line that goes into the other side of the rack should also be an o-ring fitting... Pull the ******* thing out and show us..jesus...

Andrew
Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know why you're so confused, I said the opposite end of the inverted flare. My finger is pointing right at it, I hope I have clarified this. I'm asking what size is this....it's not -6 or -4 AN and I've tried a 3/8 and a 7/16 B-nut....and try to have a little more patience. Anyone can be rude or flex their internet muscles but I would rather have you not respond if you can't show a little respect.
Attached Thumbnails replace metal power steering lines with steel braided?-b-nut.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know why you're so confused, I said the opposite end of the inverted flare. My finger is pointing right at it, I hope I have clarified this. I'm asking what size is this....it's not -6 or -4 AN and I've tried a 3/8 and a 7/16 B-nut....and try to have a little more patience. Anyone can be rude or flex their internet muscles but I would rather have you not respond if you can't show a little respect.
No one is being rude. The fitting that you are pointing to is not an AN fitting. It is most like the same o-ring fitting that is on the other side of that line. Probably a 14 mmx1.5 metric o-ring fitting.Thus you need an adapter to convert that to a AN -6 line.

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replace metal power steering lines with steel braided?