Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you make your own mounts how do you mount the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you make your own mounts how do you mount the motor?

How do you know where to mount your motor? Do you just sit it as low and as far back as it will go?

The problem with doing your own mounts that I can see is that a drive shaft that is made for your car with an LS motor in it may be the wrong length.

Thoughts on this?

Also, I've heard that to swap a motor into a 240sx I'll need a GTO oil pan. Is it just the pan itself? Or does the pick up need to be from a GTO as well? Would it be possible to just fabricate my own oil pan? I'm pretty handy with a welder
Old 07-26-2014, 04:42 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They say there are no stupid questions....

HOWEVER........
Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

You will need the GTO oil pan, pickup, windage tray etc or you could buy a prefabbed setup or make your own. There are companies like Canton which have a nice setup for the swap.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Put your engine where you want it, set the pinion angle and then make the driveshaft fit it. If you are handy with a welder, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

If your pinion is easily adjustable and you can fabricate your own oil pan,headers and transmission crossmember, then you can put it wherever you like. If none of those things are possible then you need to choose the location and inclination angle wisely or you can end up with an oil pan and headers that hang too low and driveline vibrations and shortened U-joint life.

The canton pan is a nice piece, but it will hang very low if you have your engine low slung in the chassis.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by real31
How do you know where to mount your motor? Do you just sit it as low and as far back as it will go?

The problem with doing your own mounts that I can see is that a drive shaft that is made for your car with an LS motor in it may be the wrong length.

Thoughts on this?

Also, I've heard that to swap a motor into a 240sx I'll need a GTO oil pan. Is it just the pan itself? Or does the pick up need to be from a GTO as well? Would it be possible to just fabricate my own oil pan? I'm pretty handy with a welder
Why not buy the Holley 240 SX mount kit?

Andrew
Old 07-26-2014, 11:56 PM

Because most mount kits are 2k and up. It all just adds up. If I can save a few hundred here and there it really helps.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Because most mount kits are 2k and up. It all just adds up. If I can save a few hundred here and there it really helps.
http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...yword=12654HKR

Mounts are not the place to cut corners...

258 bucks sounds like bargain!

Andrew
Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Hey Man check out Dirty Dingo I just bought a set of their sliders mounts for the swap into my 1973 El Camino and couldnt be happier.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it just the pan itself? Or does the pick up need to be from a GTO as well? Would it be possible to just fabricate my own oil pan? I'm pretty handy with a welder
Each pan is different which means a different windage tray and pickup tube are used. The Trailblazer SS and GTO are the only two LSx powered vehicles I'm aware of that use a front sump pan - and they're wildly different.

Possible to fabricate your own pan? Short answer, yes. But it depends on your skill and confidence. Can you make a leak proof tank on the first pass? It's harder than you think and most people can't.

Practical to fabricate your own pan? In my opinion, no. I CAN build nearly anything I need, however there are companies who know much more than I about important topics like oil control, etc. than I ever care to. I'm frugal and like to make or reuse things all the time but I can save the money to buy a pan faster than I could design, test and build one. Simply making an accurate pan rail with all 12 bolt holes properly aligned is beyond most home fabricators. Then you have to design it around the chassis, make the sides, weld it up, make sure it's oil tight and not warp it in the process... no thanks. I'll find a pan that is close and move the chassis if I have to.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Jesus man, the hooker kit is super cheap and slide motor sports on ebay is cheaper and uses stock nissan mounts. The almost 2K comes from the headers, driveshaft, oil pan etc. The actual mounts are the cheapest portion. Even shitty CXracing costs damn near $1600 for the **** they sell..............Hooker is by far the best option. Do some research on Zilvia and on here....

S-Chassis and LS swap = not cheap no matter how frugal you attempt to get.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...yword=12654HKR

Mounts are not the place to cut corners...

258 bucks sounds like bargain!

Andrew
Thanks for pointing that out Andrew...that price is for the engine brackets AND transmission crossmember so that really puts it in "bargain" territory.

Aside from Summit having the mount/crossmember kit listed for $258, the painted versions of the Hooker longs tubes is listed for $658...that comes to a total of $916.

Last edited by Toddoky; 07-27-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Thanks for pointing that out Andrew...that price is for the engine brackets AND transmission crossmember so that really puts it in "bargain" territory.
Todd, can OEM Corvette engine mounts be used?

Andrew
Old 07-27-2014, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Todd, can OEM Corvette engine mounts be used?

Andrew
Height wise yes, but I'm not sure about their fitment in terms of diameter. There are plenty of aftermarket replacement poly mounts for the C5/C6 however do work, which is why we designed the engine brackets to work with them.

Quick Reply: If you make your own mounts how do you mount the motor?