Sponsored by:

Help me design my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me design my exhaust

Alrighty guys,

got a 67 camaro ls1/t56 swap that ive had for a few years, i recently designed and built my own 4 link rear suspension for the car but at the sacrifice of being able to run my exhaust all the way out. i used to have a y pipe and behind the axle hooker aerochamber muffler that was 1 in 2 out designed for a fourth gen camaro and i LOVED how it sounded. Now i have to redesign with a exhaust system that either dumps at the rear axle or turns out at the rear axle.

I dont want an excessively loud car on the interior id like to be able to hold a conversation. will turn downs or turn outs be better??

I ordered two dynomax VT Mufflers to use and i think im also going to get two small bullet mufflers to pre muffle the sound a little right off the headers. has anyone had a similar setup or advice on how to go about this. So my plan right now is headers into small bullets then x pipe to two VT mufflers and either dump or turnout around the rear axle.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres the bullets im thinking about going with right out of the headers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynomax-Race-Bullet-Muffler-24250-/331264214534?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d20e2c606&vxp=mtr
Old 07-26-2014, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and here are the dynomax vt mufflers that i already ordered
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/dynomax-vt-mufflers
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I've got long tubes to dynomax 3"bullets(I think 9"long) to summit street/strip mufflers (fauxmaster40s) and out in front of the rear wheels. I used the bullets so it looked like I had cats, and to try to cut down on the drone. The bullets didn't help the drone at all when the fauxmasters were dumped, but routing them out the side eliminated all of it. I listened to the video that was on the vt muffler site and couldn't hear the difference, so maybe I'm deaf already. I love the way my truck sounds with the exhaust out the side so that's my vote.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol im glad im not the only one that really couldnt tell a difference on the dynomax website haha. just saw a good deal on a set with low mileage and always thought they were pretty cool looking. do you perhaps have any pics of how u routed them out the side? ive had a dumped set before and really hated the amount of drone it had.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

The exhaust I described is on my 82 silverado with an lq4, so I don't think it will help you. I bought some elongated oval tips off of ebay for $20 a piece.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Polished-Stainless-Offset-Inlet-Oval-Slant-Exhaust-Tip-/331086675384?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d164dbdb8&vxp=mtr
Old 07-26-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried the VT muffler on my car and hated it. I could hear the flapper clanking when it opened and closed. Keep in mind this was on my LS swapped BMW where the muffler is mounted in the rear near the bumper. A full tailpipe or a resonator after the VT would probably alleviate the noise.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well thats great. itll probably b worse on mine cause im having to dump before the axle
Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't want loud, you picked the wrong mufflers. The longer the muffler, the quieter the exhaust. The longer the exhaust, the quieter the exhaust.

I have chambered (not straight through) 18" Magnaflow XLs, with long tube headers and an X-pipe, and I have exhaust all the way back over the axle and exiting at the gas tank.....on a 17 ft car. It's still too loud.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i jus dont want excessively loud and drone. i had a short exhaust at one time that had two super turbos and it sounded soooo bad. which it was also a very poor design so that was a lot of it. I want to be able to carry a conversation on the parkways and it to sound good, it can be relatively loud and ill still like it.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of the two options you've mentioned, you'll definitely want the side-outlets as opposed to the dumps under the floor of the car. Dumping the exhaust under the car turns the floorboard into one big resonator & makes the car louder.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea thats kinda what i was thinking. Now im just hoping these VT mufflers dont rattle like some say they do. if so i guess it will be back to the drawing board. was looking around last night and saw the flowtech warlock muffler. has a cutout integrated into the muffler which i thought was really cool if these dynomaxs dont work out i may end up going to those or a borla.

i appreciate all the advice ill shoot up some sound clips in a couple weeks when everything is done
Old 07-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Lookup hermholtz resonator
Old 07-27-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reedld
Lookup hermholtz resonator
Ahhh, good call!! (But if memory serves, the term is 'Helmholz Resonator'...)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Yeah...darn autocorrect!

Helmholtz resonator
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running a flowmaster 2.5inch exhaust into 2 dynomax 18 inch bullets and then 2 dynomax turbos and the noise is acceptable with no drone. I originally put some cats right off the kooks and it was even quieter. If I had to do it over again I would have probably gotten the dynomax dual in dual out or the magnaflow instead of the bullets. Both have an x-pipe built in but you will have to deal with trying to tuck them in and clear the driveshaft on the backside of the muffler. You would need some real tight bends as soon as the pipes clear the cross member to help push the muffler forward and closer to the tranny. The Gen 5 guys seem to favor that configuration to eliminate any drone. I originally had some ultraflows on there and it was too loud but were nice with the small bullets in front in front of a regular small block. When I went to the LS motor I ended up not using the bullets and the ultra's droned at highway speed. That is when I decided on the quietest setup I could build. These LS motors make a lot of noise. If you keep your setup you will probably be fine but minimium you should get the longer bullets. My preference would be to make the dual in dual out work because it will give you more area and be quieter still.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda hard to hear till i punch it but heres what it sounded like when i had the aero chamber 1 in two out running out the back. loved it but cant run past the rear axle no more i will look up the helmholtz resonator and also the dual in dual out u suggested. do you have a sound clip of yours? or a pic?

Oh yea ignore the last little bit where my power steering pulley went into hulk smash mode lol

Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 AM
Launching!

I'm not using the Helmholtz...I have dual magnaflows and no drone, but I came across info on the Helmholtz while reading articles here. You may need to run the pipes the way you want, then take note of the rpm where you have the drone. Then there is a calculation or "rule of thumb" for the length of pipe to use to cancel the drone.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

I would do a X pipe with magna flow Mufflers the nfind some NASCAR style tips and dump the exhaust out both sides at the very back of the Rocker panel before the rear wheel well. The X-pipe helps to cancel out Some exhaust tones, reduces drone, and equalizes the exhaust pulses between left and right. The Magna flow mufflers are pretty nice and in my experience dont drone to terribly bad and sound pretty nice when you mash the loud pedal. The reason for drone in the flowmaster design is the lack of fiberglass packing in the muffler. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

I started this thread about resonator chambers and it should give you all the info you will ever need to decide if they will help your situation. Watch the YouTube vids for excellent examples of how effective they really are at canceling drone.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ps-solved.html

Quick Reply: Help me design my exhaust