Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i put a 78 trans am on a 5th gen chassis ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i put a 78 trans am on a 5th gen chassis ?

hello guys

as the title says i want to put my 78 trans am on a 5th chassis and would like to use everything from it engine , trans , diff , suspension etc

can it be done with little modifaction or is it gona be a nightmare ?

any thoughts are helpful

thanks

Ghanim
Old 07-27-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

The 5th gen cars are unibody. The 2nd gen cars are body on frame. Not compatible without copious amounts of time, effort, skill, and cash.

Andrew
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easier to swap the drivetrain over to the 78 and then buy some pro touring suspension
Old 07-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a huge dollar build, beyond not worth it. What makes you wanna do this? I can see the drivetrain but not the chassis
Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, with a plasma cutter, a welder, & a crap-load of other tools (not to mention MANIAC engineering/fabrication skills), you could probably mount an Abrams tank turret onto a (massively-reinforced) Mini Cooper - the appropriate/relevant question is, "Is it worth investing the time/effort/engineering/cash that would be required in order to make it happen??"

MOST of the time, when people post these questions up here, that answer is no... (Although there have been some notable exceptions to that "rule", the Civette comes immediately to mind...)

Originally Posted by SCott5
Easier to swap the drivetrain over to the 78 and then buy some pro touring suspension
EXACTLY.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Launching!

WestCoast Customs did a old charger on a new charger chassis and used the interior. they also did a chevelle on a corvette chassis i think, and hell they did it in a half hour show !
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen people toss around the idea of doing this with a 4th gen, with most giving up on the idea (though there are a few 1st gen/4th builds). However, while the 2nd gen stuff may seem archaic by today's standards (leaf springs!), they still hold their own quite handily with "bolt-on" suspension parts...
...and appear to have more durable suspension and drive train bits than their 3rd and 4th gen cousins.

I haven't looked too closely at 5th gen, but can imagine the cost of a viable donor car would make this a non-starter for most people. Maybe, if you lucked into a car that took a bath in a lake or river, and had mad fab skillz, you could pull it off.

I'm with the others. I'd do a 5th gen drive train perhaps, but not the whole chassis.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

It sounds like a project that will get started with enough beers but never get finished! Be careful on your endeavor.

Quick Reply: can i put a 78 trans am on a 5th gen chassis ?