Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

waterpump, rad thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterpump, rad thermostat question

Tried doing a search but not much luck. Finally getting to putting a radiator in my project. I have a truck 5.3 , stock water pump. First of all how to I get the hose nipple out of the waterpump without wrecking it, I need to turn it toards the driver side . Also is there other option for lower termostat housings ? maybe one that swivels ?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:07 AM
12 Second Club

Heat the pump at the fitting(not the fitting its self), Then use a piece of pipe inserted into the outlet and turn to the desired position. Allow it to cool and it will stay where you positioned it. Done. Or you could completely remove it, tap with npt and use a nipple or a 90, or a npt to AN fitting to get where you need to be. There is a write up on here about a ford tstat housing that fits but points straight out and another that swivels.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Sounds good, I will try that. I think I found a swivel housing ($100) was hoping for a junk yard solution Do you remember what that ford housing was? Did a quick search can't seem to find it

Last edited by pan58head; 07-31-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Early ford windstar housing.
I've got mine installed with a permadry gasket with the late style ls thermostate that doesn't attach to the housing.
I'm still in the process to see if it seals and functions properly.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pan58head
Sounds good, I will try that. I think I found a swivel housing ($100) was hoping for a junk yard solution Do you remember what that ford housing was? Did a quick search can't seem to find it
I needed a straight fitting as well, did some research and found that a 98'-00' Ford Windstar w/ 3.8L thermostat housing will bolt right up to the LS waterpump, but as recommended you need to use SBC style thermostat and gasket, I choose to just buy the Windstar 180* t-stat and gasket, and it bolting right up, haven't tested it yet, but here's a photo of my setup.

Also, you can use car LS waterpumps to give you a different waterpump outlet. I used a 2010+ Camaro L99 pump for a waterpump out on the driver's side of the pulley, that also lines up with the truck accessories.

Last edited by Envy; 07-31-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Another idea for the outlet is to remove the top outlet, and freeze plug it. Then drill the flat casting out and put your outlet there(Just below the original(LS1 location)).
Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whatever housing you use, do NOT use an old style SBC thermostat. They do not have the extra disk that manages the coolant by pass. What can happen is hot coolant can be pulled right back into the motor without going through the radiator. See my comments on posts 4 and 11 of this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...r-neck-ls.html

Last edited by Stu Cool; 08-01-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Whatever housing you use, do NOT use an old style SBC thermostat. They do not have the extra disk that manages the coolant by pass. What can happen is hot coolant can be pulled right back into the motor without going through the radiator. See my comments on post for of this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...r-neck-ls.html
I guess I need to go back and get a t-stat for a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V.

Quick Reply: waterpump, rad thermostat question