Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any LS swapped old mopar cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedBird
THAT IS BAD ***... I have heard the new gen hemi swap mounts are very close to the ls1 1/16 of a in im told so all you have to do is drill them out a bit, anyone know this to be true?
Thank you. I started this in '03 when the new hemi just came out, so doing a new hemi swap then would have been a pita, assuming I could have even found one then. Then again I have not really trusted mopar engines so I would have likely done this swap anyhow. Also took a lot of heat by the purists on the forward look boards, too. oh well, some folks will remain knuckle draggers.

In my car the mounts were small block chevy mounts using LS adaptor plates. I had help from Walton Fabrication- they built the cross member and installed their suspension (basically TCI components based on a Ford II and rack). Attached are pics of the build in progress. I've since learned to weld myself...

Originally Posted by the_merv
Yea that thing looks sharp in that car. What Valve Covers are they?
Thank you. Those are the Katech valve covers. I bought them as I needed to relocate my coils- wouldn't fit with my brake booster and heater box. Ironically, I modded the heater box anyhow, and the brake booster was from an '84 Trans Am. It was from a parts car I had and it basically bolted right in.
Attached Thumbnails any LS swapped old mopar cars?-chassislowres.jpg   any LS swapped old mopar cars?-ls1belvelores.jpg   any LS swapped old mopar cars?-ls1belvelores2.jpg   any LS swapped old mopar cars?-enginefrontlowres.jpg   any LS swapped old mopar cars?-dsc00489lowres.jpg  

Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is definite interest in the LSx into a Mopar swap. I receive PM's and emails all the time for advice or moral support. The volume, vitriol and severity of the comments from the purist and brand loyalist just tends to encourage those of us who are doing such swaps to not share as much info. Mopar is a religion to some folks and swapping to a different brand of powerplant is akin to disgracing a sacred edifice.

Engine Swaps = Hot Rodding

Pardon the rusty engine bay pictures. A few weeks ago I tossed the foam LSx mockup block into a 66 Belvedere parts car. Notice, the mockup assembly is just sitting on a 2x4 and the engine is not located in the proper position. However, it is reasonably close and gives a good visual as to how an LS engine sits in the engine bay of a 66-70 B-body Dodge/Plymouth.

For those wanting to fab up mounts, the basic location of the engine can be calculated by measuring from the crankbolt to the frame rails and crankbolt to k-frame.
The engine should be offset towards the passenger side 2.5", and vertically measuring from the K-frame to the center of the crank bolt should be approximately 5.25"-ish

Old 08-31-2014, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I think a 416 LS3 would be bad *** in a Demon.. JMO
Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What headers did you throw on there for mock up?
I am doing a 74 A-body right now with an LS swap.. Still doing sheet metal work so I haven't gotten to mocking up an engine yet.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's mine so far

2008 4.8, turbo 400, stock slant 6 k member, modified rear sump pan(now a center sump) soon To be turbo
Old 04-28-2018, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungDart75
2008 4.8, turbo 400, stock slant 6 k member, modified rear sump pan(now a center sump) soon To be turbo
Nice. Should make some really good power.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungDart75
That looks right at home, very cool!
Old 10-01-2018, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Sorry guys I took a hiatus, but I got the LS swap running in the Dart Last week. The issue in vid one isnt the tb it was the maf. Ignore the smoke in video two, just the coating on the manifolds baking in.

Last edited by YoungDart75; 10-01-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I've also got one, in the planning/gathering phase. I picked up a 1967 Valiant 2dr post as a roller. I have a 403 LS2 looking for a home, and love the Mopar A bodies. For several reasons, I'm planning an Alterktion front. this year has been devoted to my other swap, an LQ4/4L65e into my 1971 K5 Jimmy. Nice to have 1 swap under my belt, should make the Valiant build go a little smoother.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Haggar
I've also got one, in the planning/gathering phase. I picked up a 1967 Valiant 2dr post as a roller. I have a 403 LS2 looking for a home, and love the Mopar A bodies. For several reasons, I'm planning an Alterkation front. this year has been devoted to my other swap, an LQ4/4L65e into my 1971 K5 Jimmy. Nice to have 1 swap under my belt, should make the Valiant build go a little smoother.
if you have the money the akterkation would make the swap much easier. I believe they even sell that front end already fitted with ls mounts too. Either way, look up the Ls swapped mopars facebook page, we have alot of info on there and pretty much every is friendly and helpful. Good luck on the swap.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Plymouth valiant signet

Have a wiped out 318 in my car right now with a 727 torque flight and 8/34 chunk rear wity 355 gears. Been kicking around the idea of swapping a 5.3 in my car and use a turbo 400 and keep my 4 barell carb and buy the kits necessary (MSD 6014 kit) I already know I’ll have to make motor mounts and buy the TC off summit too and most likely get a driveshaft made. But will I need to worry about oil pan or anything else? Not looking for anything crazy fast just a budget build. Any input is appreciated not a molar freak
Old 05-21-2022, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

A fast budget build would be to get a 5.3 with tranny out of a truck, keep the fuel injection, throttle pedal, and computer from the same truck, and put it all in the Mopar. You will spend extra money getting a carb manifold and MSD ignition compared to keeping the whole drivetrain stock.

Quick Reply: any LS swapped old mopar cars?