Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed: LS into 3rd gen Nova

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed: LS into 3rd gen Nova

I've been lurking and sifting on here for a while, so it's time for some questions. I'll explain my plan first.

Plan is to end up with a pro touring style car, that I can take on spirited drives to the coast, and take out auto crossing. This would be primarily a street car, so that is priority #1. This will stay N/A. I am up in the air on engine and trans choice. That's where you guys come in.

I do not know how much a stock 6 speed can handle, or even how strong they are, but i have a local junk yard willing to bring me in an 04 GTO with obviously a 5.7 and 6 speed...an am really concidering it. However, 5.3's are everywhere, and can make decent, reliable power; and 6.0's are about the same way, and are just work horses. My concern is being disappointed with power.

Even though I know what I want in the end, I haven't a clue right now which is going to be the "best" way for me to start.

Thank you for any help.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I beat my 6 speed and no issues (with a 76mm turbo too)

If you can swing it, get that GTO set-up.
That will put you money ahead when it comes to oil pan, front accessories, etc.
I started with a 2001 camaro motor and 6 speed so the GTO set-up is a good start.
You will just need to a new shifter and the link in the shifter pocket to accept a standard shifter.

Get that GTO set-up and dont look back....

Check out the link in my signature to go through my build, it will help you.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Chicago TDP. Get that complete GTO setup and just swap out / sell the parts that don't fit. Like he said, you will be money ahead, compared to piecing together a setup.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Seems that in factory form that setup did pretty good. I smog all day, and had one come through about a week ago. The owner loved it.

Any other input is welcome.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too would get the GTO motor. I originally bought a truck motor looking to upgrade, but ended up scrapping the project because of a bad bearing. I opted to get an LS2 out of a GTO. If you stay with car parts (as opposed to converting a truck motor over to car parts) the swap will cost more, but will be easier.

That being said, as far as power goes, I think the '04 GTO LS1 is rated at 350hp. The 5.3 something like 315hp, and the 6.0 (truck motor, not LS2) is about 330hp. These are all stock numbers for new engines off the line though.

I had the opportunity to buy several GTO 5.7s and I passed on them because I thought I would be unhappy with the power as well. My car is a heavy beast and I need more oomph than a Nova does. However, if you can swing it, I suggest searching for an LS2 while you're looking. They come rated at 405hp, and Super Chevy did an article on the LS2 years ago where they put JUST headers on it and got to like 460hp. LS2s are extremely sensitive to mods, and a lot cheaper than an LS3. More expensive than an LS1 though, but only by about a grand. I got very lucky and found one for $3200. I was able to sell the oil pan for $400, and it had Kooks headers on it too, which I sold for $700. So in the end it cost me about $2100. There are great deals to be found if you can wait and know where to look.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to run into a smokin deal on an LS2, but in my neck of the woods, even junk yards want a premium for them. I worked out a deal with a local yard that does work through us alot and they'll pull everything I need for an LS1/6-speed combo including computer for under $3000. Hard for me to turn that down.

Your post brings up an interesting question...Where are some places to "look" for these parts?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Junk yards here are all over the place, and if you find an LS engine, it's a "truck" LS engine with 200k miles. It's nearly impossible to find one.

I found both of mine on Ebay. One seller was Bow Auto in New Hampshire. $750 for a 5.3 complete with EVERYTHING. Shipping was $100 and I got it literally 26 hours after I paid for it (I am in Maryland)

The LS2 was an auction on Ebay too, seller was LKQ. You can also find local LKQ places, depending on where you live. I can't remember the shipping on that one but it wasn't terrible either.

Under 3k is a good deal though if the trans is included. I would probably jump on it

Quick Reply: Opinions needed: LS into 3rd gen Nova