Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0/4L80 in Jeep TJ, which mods would you make to motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.0/4L80 in Jeep TJ, which mods would you make to motor ?

Hey all, thinking about installing a 6L/4L80 with a ford 8.8 rear in a 2000ish Jeep TJ. They weigh around 3000lbs and the conversions are common...

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/tj_swap.htm

I'd like to know what year 6.0 I should get and the cheapest/easiest bang-for-the-buck mods would be...I'm thinking a good converter and ?
Keep in mind this will be a daily driver and they already make 360+ hp (in a short wheelbase 3000lb Jeep) so no wild cams or power adders lol.
thanx for any input, help,suggestions.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same motor/trans.

My motor is an 04 that I had rebuilt with forged Mahle internals. I used a Z06 cam and ended up with PRC Stage 2.5 6.0 heads and a fast lsxrt intake.

I would recommend the TSP 220 cam, not too aggressive and more bang for the buck compared to the z06 cam. Eventually I'll swap cams again.

For the trans I would go with a jakes shift kit. I've got a Transgo hd2 in mine and it's a little too aggressive and the jakes is built more towards towing. So I guess it depends on what you want to do.

Skip the Novak radiator/fan and think big. I've been battling a heat issue on the highway and recently was told by Novak they have a new revision of their radiator and fan shroud. Apparently there are several versions and I was sent the first one that doesn't work. Or atleast doesn't work with the amount of power my motor is making.

I'm upgrading to a lincoln mark viii dual speed fan and novak is building me a custom radiator. It's just taking forever on the radiator. I'll also be going to a high flow evans water pump.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Punisher8738
I've got the same motor/trans.

My motor is an 04 that I had rebuilt with forged Mahle internals. I used a Z06 cam and ended up with PRC Stage 2.5 6.0 heads and a fast lsxrt intake.

I would recommend the TSP 220 cam, not too aggressive and more bang for the buck compared to the z06 cam. Eventually I'll swap cams again.

For the trans I would go with a jakes shift kit. I've got a Transgo hd2 in mine and it's a little too aggressive and the jakes is built more towards towing. So I guess it depends on what you want to do.

Skip the Novak radiator/fan and think big. I've been battling a heat issue on the highway and recently was told by Novak they have a new revision of their radiator and fan shroud. Apparently there are several versions and I was sent the first one that doesn't work. Or atleast doesn't work with the amount of power my motor is making.

I'm upgrading to a lincoln mark viii dual speed fan and novak is building me a custom radiator. It's just taking forever on the radiator. I'll also be going to a high flow evans water pump.
What year TJ do you have ? how did the swap workout ? which t-case did you go with ? do you think the intake/heads are worthwhile ? what do they cost and how much HP are you making ? any more info would be appreciated, do you have a build thread ?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Punisher8738 : I read your dyno results thread where it made 275hp/263 ft-lbs
Not trying to be derogitory at all, but doesn't that seem low with those mods ? I'd have thought a HCI 6.0 would make around 500+ hp at the crank.
Does the 4l80 and bigger tires eat that much hpp or is something wrong ?
I'd expect a stock truck 6.0 would make 300+ hp at the wheels ?
have you ran it down the 1/4 mile ?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah those were from the first dyno tune session before I replaced the heads and upgraded the fuel system. We also found the cam was installed by the motor builder 2 teeth off and the speed shop doing my tuning were having issues with the timing until they diagnosed the cam. I don't like to drop dyno numbers without being able to provide a sheet but I'm just shy of my goal of 400 at the wheels now. The jeep easily breaks the 35s lose and chirps the 2nd and 3rd shift. With the motor running as good as to does now the ugly issue of heat showed up and on the highway it warms up. So as we speak it's in the shop and I'm waiting on a larger radiator and my new fan. The speed shop owner believes my numbers are higher than what they're getting on the dyno but I'm running our of gear to quick. I'm currently geared at 4.88 and running 35" tires.

Mine is an 06 LJ Rubicon so I kept the dana 44s and 241OR.
Attached Thumbnails 6.0/4L80 in Jeep TJ, which mods would you make to motor ?-image-361861277.jpg  
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richincanada
Punisher8738 : I read your dyno results thread where it made 275hp/263 ft-lbs
Not trying to be derogitory at all, but doesn't that seem low with those mods ? I'd have thought a HCI 6.0 would make around 500+ hp at the crank.
Does the 4l80 and bigger tires eat that much hpp or is something wrong ?
I'd expect a stock truck 6.0 would make 300+ hp at the wheels ?
have you ran it down the 1/4 mile ?
I seriously doubt they make that to the wheels in stock form friend. I know the LS1's were under rated but they also have higher compression. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

I just got the upgraded shroud/fan combo for Novak's older Griffin radiator. Going from LM7 to LS2. The new shroud has some neat cutouts that have rubber/aluminum flaps around the corners of the backside of the shroud that look like they will open up at higher speeds and allow more air to flow through. Real nice tight fit on the shroud.

First time I saw anything like this on a fan shroud but makes sense. Not sure how much difference it will make but I'm adding A/C at the same time so I am hopeful. Opted for the extra fan directly on the condenser..might need an alternator upgrade soon!

Pic:

http://1drv.ms/1sRWVlK
Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Looks good, glad to see they sent one out. I've been waiting on mine since 6/30... Granted I was told 2 weeks then...

I have their single core radiator which didn't make since when I ordered mine they were advertising dual core.

Whatver it is my last conversation was they're waiting on a new radiator for me. Hopefully they'll have the right one this time. I may try the shroud or keep it as a back up. I found a lincoln mark viii fan that was new being sold on eBay and bought it. It's a beast.

Just don't have my jeep back and waiting for both novak to come thru and the shop to finish mine up.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Understood. I did wait a while but it seems that they did put a lot of thought into it. Looks like it really will work. I am anxious to try it. About two weeks out. Worth the wait, I think. Previous version was a Flexalite "Black Magic" fan which worked but needed improvement..or at least similar to what I used in Fox bodies early on. But that fan was ordered 5 years ago by a previous owner.

I used to get the dual Grand National elec replacement fan..also a beast like the Lincoln. Filled the grille and moved some serious air. But it is too wide for the CJ grille I think. The Novak radiator and fan/shroud fits with not a mm to spare. Definitely takes advantage of every bit of frontal area without cutting the vehicle. And the bracket that holds the radiator is a thing of beauty. Unbolt the front plates(three nuts per side) and the brackets have nice indented holders at the bottom so the radiator just pulls right out and drops right back in. Easiest ever.

They'll come through and with good quality stuff. Probably won't be too long since mine came in the last few days.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 AM
Teching In

If you're still waiting on a radiator, check out superior radiator in mt. clemens MI... they did mine for my 6.0 TJ and I haven't had a single cooling issue. I pushed it real hard at the sand dunes with multiple climbs in a row and it never got hot.

I'm running a 4l60e so my driveline setup info wont be any use to you.

I've been really working hard on the tune the past few days and i'm getting to a point where it gets a little sketchy for a wrangler. I really need to put my rear sway bar back in. From a launch the whole jeep wants to roll over to the pass. side. It wheel hops the rear drivers side and lifts the front drivers tire. If i hit it while making a turn the *** end will kick out real easy. This is on 35" BFG's with 3.73 gears.

I'm gonna skip the bolt on and be happy for a month only to want more later stage and do a turbo setup.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Dantj, what fan/shroud are you running.

Yeah I'll keep them in mind if the replacement doesn't work.

Yeah you def need the sway bars. I had to put my anti rock to stiffer settings. Punched it on an on ramp and wasn't ready for the torque steer. Almost got away from me. Took it up to 100 and backed off but had a lot left.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Dantj, can we get pics of the rad/fan also?

Mmmmm... Juicy, delicious turbooooo. My girlfriend will kill me if I take it apart again for more than a weekend though. Bought mine a few months ago and already have had two different motors in it and it's still half together. Has the turbo been done enough in a Jeep so that I could get it all together beforehand or am I looking at some custom head scratching still?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Teching In

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...bo-ls1-tj.html
Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I don't think he finished that. However there is another lq4 with an S472 in a wrangler around here.
Project Dissociative Identity 6.0 turbo tj

Here's the radiator. I don't have any closer pics but I can take some if needed. I used stock truck hoses and just cut them down.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Looks nice. I think there is about as much fan there as on my Novak setup but the proof will come once I get it running again.

I'm dealing with a CJ7. Do I have more or less room compared to a Wrangler? Major difference I notice is that your in/out are on the same side of the rad. Mine are not. In theory in/out on different sides encourages more crossflow but I'm sure the engineers have figured all that out internally(and you have proof it works, and that's obviously more valuable than theory!).

This turbo talk has me hot and bothered. I am fairly sure I will not be able to avoid casually hoarding turbo parts for the rest of the year.. So what manifolds are the successful builds starting with? I don't like the look but in South Louisiana I fear I will have to vent the hood soon.

Anybody interested in purchasing my whole LM7(5.3) and SM465 conversion so I can fulfill my now-obvious destiny of LS2/4L80E/turbo? (or trading for a built 4Lxx and converter?)

Thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
Looks nice. I think there is about as much fan there as on my Novak setup but the proof will come once I get it running again.

I'm dealing with a CJ7. Do I have more or less room compared to a Wrangler? Major difference I notice is that your in/out are on the same side of the rad. Mine are not. In theory in/out on different sides encourages more crossflow but I'm sure the engineers have figured all that out internally(and you have proof it works, and that's obviously more valuable than theory!).

This turbo talk has me hot and bothered. I am fairly sure I will not be able to avoid casually hoarding turbo parts for the rest of the year.. So what manifolds are the successful builds starting with? I don't like the look but in South Louisiana I fear I will have to vent the hood soon.

Anybody interested in purchasing my whole LM7(5.3) and SM465 conversion so I can fulfill my now-obvious destiny of LS2/4L80E/turbo? (or trading for a built 4Lxx and converter?)

Thanks
I'm also a former mustang guy, I've had many, my last was a 91 coupe with a 393 TT...then I had a massive stroke (3 of em actually) and sold all my stuff....fast forward 7 years, I use a walker but I'm mostly ok and will be driving again soon.....hard to be practical with this damn speed bug ! I was thinking a 6.0/4L80 turbo setup, but the heat and complexity of a turbo on a dd makes me not want to go that route . OTOH, a 3000Lb jeep with a 6L wouldn't need much to be an absolute blast.....just basic bolt ons AND A GOOD CONVERTER.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

That is what I am figuring.. The 6.0 with a decent cam, stall, gears will probably be enough to get me sideways/scary enough by itself. But turbo just well..turbo. And yes, heat. Already it was pretty hot under there with the 5.3. Going back with ceramic headers to try to reduce it a little. Dreading venting the hood but it might be unavoidable. Absolutely necessary with a turbo I think.

Went from a '65 coupe with a 5.0/T5 to many bolt-on fox bodies..last and favorite was black/black 91 coupe. Never should have let that one go. Last Mustang was 04 comp orange terminator coupe. Bolt-ons but still a blast. Got the mud bug and went full tilt with Can Ams and a truck to pull them..now kinda bridging the gap with a fast street Jeep as I don't have time to get out to the mud anymore.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

@Punisher - I see CAI.. I think. Tell me about it please! My IATs were crazy high and I know I was losing some power.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

It's a River Raider Expedition Snorkel or atleast it started as one. It's designed for the original air cleaner assembly and had a mushroom type cap on top.
http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...&product_id=19

Before my LS swap I had a Ripp Supercharger on my motor and had their snorkel adapter which included a k&n filter with a threaded post and a cover. I had the air intake tube bent to keep the snorkel functional. We tested it with the filter inside the engine bay where the coupler is and when the filter above the hood as a complete snorkel. it actually produced more power and had lower IAT's running the full snorkel. Google jeep cowl intake or jeep windstar intake mod and you'll see quite a few approaches. For the most part they all either exit inside or above the windshield cowl panel. Some people use a ford windstar air cleaner assembly for their filter and then run the exit.

Last edited by Punisher8738; 08-21-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. Funny; I hit junkyard right after I saw the IATs and picked up a few stock airboxes to try out. One was a Windstar. The other was a Thunderbird and then I think a Navigator. Will definitely check it out..guess I already have some of the preferred parts.

Quick Reply: 6.0/4L80 in Jeep TJ, which mods would you make to motor ?