Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Andrew,
Thanks for the info. Yep, I have that cover. I had figured Cadillac would do something like the CTSV engine cover, even if still an L92 under the cover
I guess I had forgotten LS3 and L92 have the same heads. Makes sense.

Doug
Old 01-27-2015, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

One issue I see with that dipstick handle is checking your oil level, for instance after a nice drive and you stop to fill up with gas and decide to check your oil, that shell casing is going to be probably to hot to touch? It's possible it will be just fine as the old sbc dipsticks were all metal. You could also knurl the shell casing for a better grip.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
One issue I see with that dipstick handle is checking your oil level, for instance after a nice drive and you stop to fill up with gas and decide to check your oil, that shell casing is going to be probably to hot to touch? It's possible it will be just fine as the old sbc dipsticks were all metal. You could also knurl the shell casing for a better grip.
As you said, all old engine dipsticks were metal, which is why I always had a shop rag stashed somewhere under the hood. I am not too concerned about this as the LS engines don't really burn or leak oil.

Andrew
Old 01-28-2015, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Today I got the starter and a few other bits. First of all, anyone that is doing a LSx swap or just wants to upgrade their current starter, this is the way to go. This is a 5th Gen Camaro starter and it is awesome. It's even more awesome because it is less than $110, brand new.

The heat shield does not come with it, but can be had from the stealership for about $15.

I love that the wire for the solenoid now has a proper connector instead of the stud and nut. No more laying on the floor, twisting your arm all over the place, trying to install that little nut. It's now plug-n-play.

Speaking of plugs, I also picked up the 3 plugs needed for the T56: VSS, reverse lock out and back-up switch (not pictured).

The VSS and the reverse lock out solenoid will get wired into the Dominator harness and the back-up switch will get integrated into the chassis harness.

Andrew
Old 01-28-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like a nice unit for $110
Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy heatshield batman!!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

A heat shield is always nice. I plan on getting rid of the Ford style remote solenoid, so the heat shield is a nice addition. I just hope that the starter works with the F-body bellhousing. I've read a few posts that seem to indicate that it might not. Oh well, I'll make it work.

Andrew
Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I just hope that the starter works with the F-body bellhousing. I've read a few posts that seem to indicate that it might not. Oh well, I'll make it work.

Andrew
I had considered this starter until I read the issues some people were having. I'm interested in seeing what it takes to make yours work.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Found some time to update myself on your build thread. WOW. That engine is beautiful. I'm anxious to see it in the car.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

A heat shield is always nice. I plan on getting rid of the Ford style remote solenoid, so the heat shield is a nice addition. I just hope that the starter works with the F-body bellhousing. I've read a few posts that seem to indicate that it might not. Oh well, I'll make it work.

Andrew
Nice build, love the retro Ansen ad. Would Phil Sr.roll over in his grave if he new you put a Chevy in his Cougar?
Old 01-30-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 64post
...Would Phil Sr.roll over in his grave if he new you put a Chevy in his Cougar?
He most certainly would, but may he rest in peace.

Andrew
Old 01-30-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Designers will tell you that sometimes you need a little pop of color...

Andrew
Old 01-31-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Beware of that color thing, too much and you'll turn into a ricer with "boltonidus"
Old 01-31-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 64post
Beware of that color thing, too much and you'll turn into a ricer with "boltonidus"
No worries. Zero chance of that happening.

Andrew
Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I got the starter and a few other bits. First of all, anyone that is doing a LSx swap or just wants to upgrade their current starter, this is the way to go. This is a 5th Gen Camaro starter and it is awesome. It's even more awesome because it is less than $110, brand new.

The heat shield does not come with it, but can be had from the stealership for about $15.

I love that the wire for the solenoid now has a proper connector instead of the stud and nut. No more laying on the floor, twisting your arm all over the place, trying to install that little nut. It's now plug-n-play.

Speaking of plugs, I also picked up the 3 plugs needed for the T56: VSS, reverse lock out and back-up switch (not pictured).

The VSS and the reverse lock out solenoid will get wired into the Dominator harness and the back-up switch will get integrated into the chassis harness.

Andrew
You will have to grind your stock t56 bell to get that starter to fit, and will also either need the LS3 Camaro cover or trim the LS1 part. I just went through this on my build.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Efi69cam
You will have to grind your stock t56 bell to get that starter to fit, and will also either need the LS3 Camaro cover or trim the LS1 part. I just went through this on my build.
Got a link to some pictures? When you say "cover" what exactly are you referring to?

Andrew
TECH Regular

Designers will tell you that sometimes you need a little pop of color...

Andrew
Envoy wires?

That's what I have currently. Just not the red version lol
TECH Resident

The 68-72 Mustangs(and Cougars) that came from the factory with big power, all had "staggered" rear shocks. One shock in front of the axle, the other behind the axle. This was to better control rear-end whip, or bounce under hard acceleration. Your car does not show to have the staggered shock placement. This means, basically, that your car originally came from Ford with small-block power. What was that nice looking Cleveland headed engine engine you removed?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Got a link to some pictures? When you say "cover" what exactly are you referring to?

Andrew

I'm not good at documenting so no pictures If you compare the ls3 starter to the ls1 you'll see that the distance from mounting flange to the center of the nose on the starter is less on the LS3. There is not that much material to remove and it's in a section of the bell thats about 3/4" thick.

The cover I'm talking about is the plastic cover between the starter and bell that bolts to the oilpan.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Efi69cam
I'm not good at documenting so no pictures If you compare the ls3 starter to the ls1 you'll see that the distance from mounting flange to the center of the nose on the starter is less on the LS3. There is not that much material to remove and it's in a section of the bell thats about 3/4" thick.

The cover I'm talking about is the plastic cover between the starter and bell that bolts to the oilpan.
Thanks. I'll mock it up eventually and trim as needed. I actually don't have any of the little covers and I probably won't use them.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1967 Cougar build (over 500 pictures and videos)