Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my dipstick does not want to go fully into the block. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my dipstick does not want to go fully into the block. Need help

Motors a 08 l92 and I am having trouble with the dipstick even going into the tube fully. I had a 98 to 02 ls1 pan on before and now have the autokraft pan and it is the same results. The tube was bent a good bit to fit around my headers so I ended up getting a new truck dipstick and tube but ended up with the same results with barely any bending to tube.

I'm at a loss I can not get my dip stick fully into the motor. I have roughly 3 to 4 inches of the dipstick sticking out. Need some help I am pulling out my hair and using every curse word there is in my nice and quiet neighborhood. ...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Post pictures. Maybe someone can spot something simple you overlooked
Old 08-30-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if the area where the stick goes into bottoms out with the longer truck dipstick. It suggests the f body but I don't know the length difference of both to verify if it is bottoming out or not.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The "easy" way to do it would be to compare (and shorten) your truck 'stick to match someone else's F-body 'stick. To do it right, you really should pull the pan and shorten the dipstick to the correct length...
Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We did cut the dipstick and tube down on the stock ones and it still didn't go all the way in. Thing is if I did bottom out in the pan, it would have had oil on the stick. Mine didn't really have anything on it.....
Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

i have mine bent im using the H3 pan and stock truck dipstick. It took a few times getting mine in there I had to turn it around not sure if that helped at all but everytime i remove it its a fight have to keep taking out and turning then it slides in. My is 5.3 in a 79 camaro with headers flipped
Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Is there a twist in the oil dipstick? I know when I modded my pan, I went to a wrecker and grabbed 5 dipsticks of different lengths, I put in 5 quarts of oil, and used my original dipstick and it showed I had to much oil in it, any ways I found a dipstick that was the right length, but had a twist at the bottom of it, put it in a vise between some wood and took the twist out and it works great.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No twist on the dipstick. Straight and flat. My question is, where the dipstick goes into the psn....is there anything that could be blocking it from going in from inside the pan? If I push in on the stick, it starts to make bends in the dipstick.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

I am using a Corvette tube and dipstick in my L92. When you insert the dipstick into the tube, there will be a point where you will have a little resistance. Grab the dipstick close to the tube so it doesn't kink, give it a little twist and it will slide right in...

Andrew
Old 08-31-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I am using a Corvette tube and dipstick in my L92. When you insert the dipstick into the tube, there will be a point where you will have a little resistance. Grab the dipstick close to the tube so it doesn't kink, give it a little twist and it will slide right in...

Andrew
I've tried everything under the sun and it seems like nothing will help. I will say this, I took the old dipstick into and was messing around with it sliding the dipstick in an out.it wouldn't fully go through so I looked at the bottom and it appears where the o-ring is on the outside there's a lip on the inside of the tube, I wonder if I can smooth that out because I believe that's what Catching my dipstick. Thoughts?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it possible the the windage tray was installed incorrect and it is causing the dipstick interference ?

What does it sound like when you slam the dipstick down. What does it sound like. ?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
Is it possible the the windage tray was installed incorrect and it is causing the dipstick interference ?

What does it sound like when you slam the dipstick down. What does it sound like. ?
Not sure about the tray. My buddy modded the stock one to fit the ls1 pan but I'm sure he installed it correct. As for the sound, it doesn't make anything other than just feeling snagged pn something.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
I've tried everything under the sun and it seems like nothing will help. I will say this, I took the old dipstick into and was messing around with it sliding the dipstick in an out.it wouldn't fully go through so I looked at the bottom and it appears where the o-ring is on the outside there's a lip on the inside of the tube, I wonder if I can smooth that out because I believe that's what Catching my dipstick. Thoughts?
I can't imagine that the dip stick would get caught on a slight lip on the inside of the tube.

Does your dip stick have a plastic tip or is it all metal?

Andrew
Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Put some hair around it and spit on it!!! J/k

lol
Hope you figure it out!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't imagine that the dip stick would get caught on a slight lip on the inside of the tube.

Does your dip stick have a plastic tip or is it all metal?

Andrew
Its, all metal. Sounds So Lame I'm Asking About How To Get A Dip Stick To Work. Lol
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Did you modify the stick? If so, does it still have a point on the end? I've seen straight cut sticks be hard to get in.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the original L92 tube and dipstick:

I replaced it with a C6 LS2 tube and dipstick:

Andrew
Old 09-01-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Did you modify the stick? If so, does it still have a point on the end? I've seen straight cut sticks be hard to get in.
The one we modded was cut flat with no point and that could be why it's stopping at the lip on the inside of the tube. New ones were not touched.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the original L92 tube and dipstick:

I replaced it with a C6 LS2 tube and dipstick:

Andrew
I like the low profile of the dipstick. The f body one is recommended for my pan . But I've heard of guys using different sticks and them not getting the correct "full" reading on th stick. Line it has the correct amount of oil as recommended but the stick reads too much or vice versa

Quick Reply: my dipstick does not want to go fully into the block. Need help