Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff/poor brake feel on LS1 mustang... Hydroboost problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff/poor brake feel on LS1 mustang... Hydroboost problem?

Hey guys,

So after blowing 2 4.6l cobra motors I finally had enough sense to fit an Ls1 into my SN95 cobra.

I got a great deal from a friend on a forged HCI 347 that is now in the car and running thanks to a PSI stand alone harness and a built T56. One of my few small problems is my braking system. I've got a hydroboost setup on the car being fed by the factory GM ls1 power steering pump. My brakes feel super stuff and the car stops very poorly. I purchased the borgeson GM pump shim kit to reduce the pressure for the mustang rack..

What could It be?

Pressure too high?
Bad pump?
Bad hydroboost?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Is it the stock hydroboost?

Either way, sometimes it takes awhile to get the air bubbles out of it. Until then it is spongy and/or grabs.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

How many shims did you use? Is the steering twitchy or does it feel heavy?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by terryr
Is it the stock hydroboost?

Either way, sometimes it takes awhile to get the air bubbles out of it. Until then it is spongy and/or grabs.
Yea, Its a stock Mustang hydroboost.

any tricks to getting the air out easier?

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
How many shims did you use? Is the steering twitchy or does it feel heavy?
I think i used 3 or 4. I don't remember for sure since its been a little while. It came with 5 but i didn't use them all. should I have used them all?

Borgeson said in their instructions that the mustang rack be approx. 1000psi. but after some searching another forum it said the PSI rating is about 750.

could that help?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

The lower the pressure the longer it takes to pump up the accumulator in the hydroboost, but you also need the correct amount of volume of fluid. I would also make sure the air is out of the system. Proper bleeding procedure will take about 30 minute to an hour depending on how foamy the fluid is. Most likely if the system worked before the swap, it is in the pump pressure or the pump itself. F250s are switching to a larger orifice for correct pedal feel. You might try search that also.

bleeding procedure:

http://www.agrperformance.com/AGR-In...structions.pdf
Old 09-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lsxRanger94
The lower the pressure the longer it takes to pump up the accumulator in the hydroboost, but you also need the correct amount of volume of fluid. I would also make sure the air is out of the system. Proper bleeding procedure will take about 30 minute to an hour depending on how foamy the fluid is. Most likely if the system worked before the swap, it is in the pump pressure or the pump itself. F250s are switching to a larger orifice for correct pedal feel. You might try search that also.

bleeding procedure:

http://www.agrperformance.com/AGR-In...structions.pdf
Thanks, I'll try that.

Yea the system worked before the swap. Just this is slowing me down at the moment
Old 09-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 19mystic96
Yea, Its a stock Mustang hydroboost.

any tricks to getting the air out easier?
I read the factory uses vacuum while filling. Don't know for sure. But they put thousands of cars down the line. They must have a quick way to do it.

Quick Reply: Stiff/poor brake feel on LS1 mustang... Hydroboost problem?