Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 "Trackmaro"

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1967 "Trackmaro"

I don't think that I've really posted much over here on my 67 Track prepared Camaro so here is the latest news, and I'll update this as I progress. If you want to see the whole build thread on the car you can find it here: http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=16169 Got the motor out this weekend and set up in the garage for the tear down. Good thing I decided to do this because I found a lot of metalish stuff in the oil when I drained it. Got the new stuff in from http://www.improvedracing.com/ on Friday, They agreed to help me out with a few goodies! They are Beach Cruiser Racing's First "real" Sponsor! Please visit their site for any of your LSx Oiling needs! Here's a few updates:

Last edited by beach cruiser; 09-11-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on mounting my Ls engine inverted as well.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

LOL! puts the Crank CL a little high but it sure is much easier to plumb twin turbos!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked over your build and looks like a fun car.

One suggestion if I may. Please change those crap paper header gaskets. Stick a set of GM MLS gaskets back on it.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with everything. Looks to be challenging.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I got the most of the motor disassembled now, I'm not really happy with what I found inside. The rods have a lot of "slop" in them, I mean I can turn the crank a couple of degrees before the rods move and you can see the crank moving inside the rod caps. I'm pretty sure it's toast and needs a complete rebuild other than me just slapping some bearings in it putting it back together. I did find a very well priced LS6 shortblock close by that only has 40K miles on it, so if it checks out I'm going to use that. After I pulled the pan and saw what was swirling around in there It was an easy call! I can't believe this thing was still running and not making any knocking noise!

I'm gonna take a little time and clean up some of this too while It easy to get to.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got the frame rails and crossmember all painted up, cleaned up the harness some (it's hidden when the motor is in the car) need to get a little paint on the firewall and then I'm done under here. Should be picking up the LS6 early this week and the fun begins! Also my copy of Grassroots motorsports came in yesterday, Page 63! They even gave me the majority of the page!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

The good guys at Improved Racing just release a new oil pan baffle insert for the CTS-V oil pan. The CTS-V pan is a good choice for a lot of motor swaps as it clears the cross member better than the f body pan, but is just a tad deeper. I run one on my TTU/V-1 Track Camaro (Trackmaro). I'm in the process of swapping in a new LS6 Shortblock and wanted to make sure I had the best Oil control I could get in a wet sump application. I'll be taking the car to Daytona Nov 1-2 to run the Rolex circuit with NASA. So Improved Racing hooked me up with a new baffle, a crank scrapper and an oil thermostat for my oil cooler. For now here are the pics of the installation, It took only 15 mins at best (pan was already off the car).

Here's the stock pan:

Baffle removed:

Improved Racing Baffle inserted:

All bolted in place:

Factory windage tray and oil pickup inplace (just for reference):

Something I did to my last pan, as the CTS-V pan hangs low and the drain plug is in the rear. I welded a 1/4 x1 piece of flatbar on the bottom to act as a "slider" in case I ever bottom out or hit something on high center again. It doesn't take much at all to knock the back of the pan out if you hit the drain plug on something. It's happened to me twice even at 3" of clearance. That's the reason I'm putting in a new shortblock! ARG!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

The LS6 shortblock arrived Friday evening. I worked on it some over the weekend, but not as much as I wanted to. I've got some kind of nagging cold that is slowing me down.

I need to start putting some of this stuff together because I'm running out of room!

The first thing I wanted to do was check the bellhousing alignment because I was pretty sure it was going to be off. The starter tab on the block had broken off and repaired, but that is where the dowel goes for the bellhousing alignment. I was really happy that the bellhousing actually fit on the factor dowels. But after some detailed checking with my dial indicator (a real pain in the tail) it proved to be off by over .024, not the end of the world, I ordered some .021 offset dowels to fix it. The factory tolerance is .005. I need this to be right, I don't want to F'up my new Nascar Dog Ring Trans!

Next order of business was the cam and timing chain:

Then the new crank scrapper from Improved Racing, that thing is close but it fits everywhere perfectly.

I got the rest of the covers and oil pan all bolted on, and the engine rolled over and on a dolly. That's all I could manage for the weekend, I should have all the rest of it put back together by Friday so I can drop it in next weekend.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well this weekend went a little better than last week. Got the motor all assembled and running in the car. Sunday was a long day, but I had a couple guys come over and help me drink all my beer and turn a few wrenches. Still lots of little stuff to go over, but those I can do by myself. Deadline is Oct 17th, AutoX is on Oct 19 then it's getting loaded up to get hauled to Daytona for Nov 1-2 track weekend.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice progress. It looks like you'll be ready.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

some extra sheet metal laying around, and $15 Spectra Bootie from Autozone and problem is solved! I really like the new position of the shift lever too, much easier. I drove the car around the block and hit all four gears plus reverse, everything seems in order. Hitting the highway tomorrow with it. It's Loud! Like really Loud! Straight cut gears for the win! I think I'll be ready if nothing happens in the next two weeks. I need to take the seat out to get the lower corner screwed down, couldn't drill it with the seat in the way. Maybe I'll paint the floors while it's out. Depends on if anything else breaks.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Looking good!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Drove it around for a while yesterday, she runs strong, the trans is taking a little time to get used to, not really set up well for driving around town for sure.
Here's a few pictures as I was putting the decals from Improved Racing on the car. I need opinions on the front stickers, do they look better on the air dam or on the fender?I can't decide.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Launching!

One of the last vehicles I still have to own! This thing is badass!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! I just hope it holds together for a while, I'm just about out of money to fix it anymore!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took the car to the local autoX this weekend to do some test and tune, as well as a shake down on it. Car was fantastic! I finished 15th out of 120 cars! would have been top 10 if I wouldn't have clipped a cone on my last run. Also had the opportunity to take some pictures for my newest sponsor, Improved Racing. Let me know what you guys think.

After all that beating, on the way home I went from first to second pretty hard on the highway and this happened!

Good thing I have good insurance on this thing as I had to come home on a rollback! New driveshaft with a larger Ujoint is installed and ready to go, Next stop Daytona!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are those beach pictures taken at the Amphib base.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes, they are on the Hovercraft pad at ACU-4 at Little Creek
Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Mills, thanks for the ride! This car is insanely fast. Big props to him and his project. Very nice car

Quick Reply: 1967 "Trackmaro"